Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 12:25 AM

434 posts, read 248,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
In my opnion boxing is an ideal self defense sport. The moves are simple, easy to practice, and the body mechanics behind the punches are easy to teach and to learn. Of course, true mastery takes years and natural atheletic abilities, but boxing also offers quick gains in ability.

Though I dont know much about Judo (I took some classes years ago, and once met an international competitor), my impression was that the techniques are complex, that even the fundamentals take a long time to learn and require more innate athletic ability. One thing that struck me about the competitor I met was how extremely thick his wrists and fingers were and how compact he was. In boxing, being lanky but coordinated can be a great asset. I dont think that is the case in judo.

As I very rarely carry a firearm, that is usually not going to be an option for me.
Alot of the techniques in Judo take a long time to master though there are some simple throws. The advantage you pickup quickly is "grip fighting" basicly getting used to and controlling people who put their hands on you - someone grabbing yout top and yanking you about can be a shocking experience. Boxing + judo is often recommeded as it covers all bases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 12:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Alot of the techniques in Judo take a long time to master though there are some simple throws. The advantage you pickup quickly is "grip fighting" basicly getting used to and controlling people who put their hands on you - someone grabbing yout top and yanking you about can be a shocking experience. Boxing + judo is often recommeded as it covers all bases.
Does it matter if there are three of them?

Old 12-11-2015, 11:02 AM

434 posts, read 248,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Does it matter if there are three of them?
Not really, but if someones concerned about such things boxing + judo is a good combination. Its mainly of relevence to bouncers/police & I'd guess the confidence gained from training combat sports is better protection then the sports themselves.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:37 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Here is my problem with ANY type of martial arts is what I said before a GOOD street fighter is more likely to kick your arse them not. They don't have any set form or rules they do everything by instinct. Which I haven't found taught in the forms I have taken myself.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:38 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Here is my problem with ANY type of martial arts is what I said before a GOOD street fighter is more likely to kick your arse them not. They don't have any set form or rules they do everything by instinct. Which I haven't found taught in the forms I have taken myself.
Hence Krav Maga mate.

Believe me THAT does works

Old 12-13-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Hence Krav Maga mate.

Like others have posted it depends on said person & their ability to hold their ground. Street fighters use martial arts, etc. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Krav Maga as I've never took it myself all I have seen of it personally is online. I took Taekwondo for a bit & while it's beautiful in execution I see someone who try to use in the real world get their arses handed to them. Total waste if you ask me. I think it still goes back to being able to hold your own & wanting to survive the outcome bad enough.
Some just don't have it in them.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Like others have posted it depends on said person & their ability to hold their ground. Street fighters use martial arts, etc. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Krav Maga as I've never took it myself all I have seen of it personally is online. I took Taekwondo for a bit & while it's beautiful in execution I see someone who try to use in the real world get their arses handed to them. Total waste if you ask me. I think it still goes back to being able to hold your own & wanting to survive the outcome bad enough.
Some just don't have it in them.
Krav is purposely for the street

I've used it myself it also installs calm into you as well

Your right of course not everyone has it in them, I'm not known as a fighter but can well look after myself mainly down to Krav

Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Hence Krav Maga mate.

Tell us how you neutralized an opponent. Be specific. Tell us how you defend yourself against someone with a gun using your bare hands.

Unarmed men aren't men.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Krav is purposely for the street

I've used it myself it also installs calm into you as well

Your right of course not everyone has it in them, I'm not known as a fighter but can well look after myself mainly down to Krav
Same with having a gun I don't see just anyone having the ability to shoot someone & live with themselves. I used to bounce in some nights when I was younger I found out real quick it comes down to who wants it the most. I liked Kung Fu it made more sense to be the stance & it had some street fighting qualities that I grew up with. There is a school where we are moving to where they teach Jeet Kung do & Wing Chun. Just for the coolness factor it would me cool to learn what Bruce Lee taught & what he took when he was still in Hong Kong.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Tell us how you neutralized an opponent. Be specific. Tell us how you defend yourself against someone with a gun using your bare hands.

Unarmed men aren't men.
When the hell did I mention all that?

I posted quite a few pages back referring to Krav Maga as the best self defence Martial art that was all, plus I said it again to reed

I'm completely lost where I said I did all that

Plus in London were not allowed guns so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness