Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:08 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Sure, Monsanto does, with their GMOs and their "terminator seeds".

In fact, if a neighbor of yours plants a bit too close to your property line and some of their Monsanto seed flies into your garden, Monsanto can charge you for the seed, even though you didn't intentionally plant it.

You are correct about lawmakers being in bed with the corporations, including Monsanto!
More moron Frankenfoodie propaganda. It's all lies, but you would never convince them of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 08:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
The only food you should buy today for emergencies is from the Jim Bakker Show (best price/food) and Wise products. Haven't tried Emergency Essentials ,but go for it. Glenn Beck show has a few they
recommend ,but since we don't get that program I forgot the name of the company. Bakker is the only survival network via CTN in the world today all else is a rip off and the food sucks except Food For Health.
I didn't know Bakker was a Mormon. Yes, the Mormons have an excellent emergency food program.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:27 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,030 times
Canned foods, peanut butter, and cereal are some foods that tend to store well.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:51 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Canned foods, peanut butter, and cereal are some foods that tend to store well.
I bought some of that cheap Malt-O-Meal cereal once. I was not planning on storing it but just did not get around to eating it. I was amazed it was still good after the date ran out. Now it did go stale fast after opening so now I only buy small bags to store.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:24 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,030 times
Some foods do that. I just bought a set of containers from Costco that allow one to "pump" the seal once. Should help a lot. Wasn't real cheap of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I bought some of that cheap Malt-O-Meal cereal once. I was not planning on storing it but just did not get around to eating it. I was amazed it was still good after the date ran out. Now it did go stale fast after opening so now I only buy small bags to store.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:01 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times
After talking to my pharmacist and a supermarket manager, I learned to take the expiration dates on drugs and food with a grain of salt.

The expiration dates are decided by the manufacturer. The only FDA expiration date requirement that I know if is for infant formula.

According to my pharmacist, drug potency does not simply expire; it gradually fades. The amount of time a drug is still usable depends on the drug. Some antibiotics are still good a year from the expiration date.

Properly canned foods will last years; dried foods, as long as they are kept dry.

I write the date of purchase on the top of store bought cans and I use the FIFO method (first in; first out. One of the few things I remember from my accounting course). Home canned - it's on the label. Home canned foods are used first; then store bought.

I don't keep much frozen food, mostly meats.

Dried food is kept in the dark - yep, I have a pantry for that!

Old 09-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,945 times
Nothing simply expires, it all degrades. I know for sure some drugs and medicines can last awhile, but others do not. It is all made to keep you buying more.

For example the lancets for my diabetic blood glucose meter (the lancet is the metal needle), say they expire, but it is a thin sharp metal needle, surronded by plastic, so i highly doubt they will go bad (in the timeframe given) if stored in a dry spot, if buried underground for 200 years im sure they will erode.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:51 PM

8 posts, read 5,401 times
Grain, legumes, bought during harvest season from local farmers. Cans of Crisco, salt, spices, especially chile and onion powders. Have some non-hybrid seeds and know how to use sprouting techniques. You have to know how to store this stuff properly, of course.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:21 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Well, h2o is 1st & alot of it -- & a way to sterilize it -- is imperative should water supply get scarce/contaminated. A Lifestraw filter is we both have.

Then comes 50 gal drums of pasta or rice & beans stored. Then comes other nonperishables as in canned goods & maybe some food buckets from Wise or other makers. Then comes weapons, then comes precious metals as investments -- only if you got the other things in place.

Short of a bunker this is a good start. A garden is needed (hidden & covered w/ other plants, so it isn't raided by the ghouls when SHTF) & -- MUST have a safe home, & many a like-minded neighbors is paramont too.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:41 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,945 times
if your preparing longterm, you should not depend on a lifestraw. Those are good for only so many gallons, and do not remove salt from ocean water (for those near the ocean this is an issue, as you can always distill the water to remove the salt, and bacteria, ect.).

If your a hiker, hunter, trapper, nature walker, ect. These are great to have, as for the short term they allow you to get drinking water easily. However if your planning long term (many years), then you better be able to know how to filter and boil/distill water without one. It would still be good to keep in-case you forget to get your daily water purified, or just need water right then and there, but unless you have alot of the filters, at the rate anyone would be using water (drinking, and food), then you better have alot of those filters (atleast 1 per person, per year). Even then, if your dependent on them to purify water, you better make sure they dont get stolen, their storage space burned down, knocked over by a hurricane, the roof doesnt cave in during a blizzard, a twister doesnt come by.... you get the point, while many other things would be destroyed, your means to safe water will only last so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness