Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times

Advertisements

Some presidential candidates want to build a fence along our southern border so we won't be invaded by aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 09:48 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,326 times
Seriously?

I heard a podcast featuring a physicist and Ufologist whose name escapes me, but he said that ufology in general is so abysmally behind quantum physics that it has basically lost all ability to make any real impact. It hasn't kept up with real science, which has surpassed it by light years. Ufologists are still in the dark ages, so anything they really talk about deeply is suspect to me.
Its not as if I don't believe in UFOs- I have seen them twice in my life, so I am definitely a believer that there are things in our skies for which we have not been given the full explanation. But UFOs do not necessarily mean aliens. Too many times people have reported craft and then a few years later out pops a craft used by the Air Force that looks exactly like a purported UFO.

Anyway, ufologists are far, far too likely to be mired in ridiculous conspiracy theories that have absolutely nothing else behind them than some Alex-Jones style hyperbole. I think its a shame and I think it really, profoundly slows the field down.

And it makes NO sense that any interplanetary war would ever occur. Stands to reason they are going to have much more profound technology than we, and so why would they want to come and kill us when they can just steal what they want? Wars aren't fought because someone likes to kill. Wars are generally fought over resources- and again, if aliens want our uranium or some other mineral, they will just flat out come in and take it. I don't see aliens coming in to randomly kill and start a war and waste their resources- because probably the only reason they would want to do so is due to diminishing resources.

Having said that, I will not lose a second of sleep over something completely unprovable- there are plenty of other things happening right in front of my face that will have a real bearing on my life, and interplanetary war will never be one of them.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:18 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
I just saw this great documentary about alien invaders so I think I'm prepared. It's called "Independence Day" if you're interested in educating yourself.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:49 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
We are working on an Ion Canon. Takes a lotta power. If anybody has a spare nuclear reactor it would speed things up. This should bolster our interplanatary defenses, unless the Obama administration restricts us to only a 10 gigavolt magazine.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:49 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
In answer to the OP's original question: No.

We try to be prepared for the more statistically likely events and leave those things that are unlikely or events that we can do little about to chance.

I'm not an unbeliever. Like another poster I've seen three in my lifetime, one performing maneuvers that modern military craft (that we know about) are incapable of in the company of another expert witness. I had a career in aviation and am aware of the performance characteristics of most aircraft including military.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:01 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
"It's a cookbook!"

Old 10-25-2015, 08:07 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
I'm ready!!!
Westinghouse M-27 Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle - Terminator Wiki - Terminator Genisys - Genisys Revolution - Skynet - Wikia

Old 10-25-2015, 08:20 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Some of the movements by saucers would be fatal to a human pilot..
If gyro technology was incorporated on the interior of the craft, it probably would not be fatal.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:57 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
What if the aliens are far more civilized then we are and only want to help us? Hey if you can't beat them. Join them. I really really want a ride in one of those space ships.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Speculation about gun control being related to an alien invasion is not fueling strong speculation by anyone except those who are off their meds.

Well...let's be fair, joe.
Perhaps meds have nothing to do with this...unique...theory, and the real reason for this thread is that his aluminum foil helmet has slipped off of his head.

Hmmmm....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness