Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:24 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times

Advertisements

Honest question.

When I read end of civilization threads, articles or comments the threat usually involves some sort of dystopia onslaught by the great unwashed, usually urban dwellers invading the hinterland, which makes for great movies and such but having run across a numerous articles regarding the safe havens of the 1%, uparmored homes, cars, and even massive yachts, it seems to me that the biggest threat would come from those with the most cash. Those who would have the resources to re-establish technological enclaves, protected by private armies who would dictate the allocation of resources in some modern equivalence of feudalism. So my question is has the "prepper" community given much consideration to what I think would be a more realistic scenario?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:46 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Honest question.

When I read end of civilization threads, articles or comments the threat usually involves some sort of dystopia onslaught by the great unwashed, usually urban dwellers invading the hinterland, which makes for great movies and such but having run across a numerous articles regarding the safe havens of the 1%, uparmored homes, cars, and even massive yachts, it seems to me that the biggest threat would come from those with the most cash. Those who would have the resources to re-establish technological enclaves, protected by private armies who would dictate the allocation of resources in some modern equivalence of feudalism. So my question is has the "prepper" community given much consideration to what I think would be a more realistic scenario?
That actually sounds like the overwhelming government control that currently exists and creates an atmosphere where people feel their only option is to provide for themselves because the autocratic government has already provided for itself including having armies and a chokehold on a lot of production, and where benefits are passed out to the large "campaign donors" who make large donations to the politicians foundations.
This also includes taking from the producers to give to society's leeches in trade for votes.

It depends on your point of view, but I fail to see where the government has the best interests of the people at heart and are instead obsessed with control over every aspect of private citizens lives.

Personally, I prefer self sufficency which in itself is threatening enough to the status quo because it removes the dependence on government to provide everything for everybody.

Leave me alone, quite trying to take every penny I make and let me enjoy the fruits of my labors, and I won't have to regard the government as a danger.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 11-06-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 03:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Honest question.

We don't fear ourselves. Whom do you think you're addressing on the S-S & P forum? The dregs do come here but they seldom stay. They'll undoubtedly agree with you. This is a forum for the upper classes whether born or self-made. Do you live on a pleasant country estate? We know the answer to that.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:30 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Honest question.

When I read end of civilization threads, articles or comments the threat usually involves some sort of dystopia onslaught by the great unwashed, usually urban dwellers invading the hinterland, which makes for great movies and such but having run across a numerous articles regarding the safe havens of the 1%, uparmored homes, cars, and even massive yachts, it seems to me that the biggest threat would come from those with the most cash.
Cash is irrelevant in the post-apocalyptic world.

Quote:
Those who would have the resources to re-establish technological enclaves, protected by private armies who would dictate the allocation of resources in some modern equivalence of feudalism. So my question is has the "prepper" community given much consideration to what I think would be a more realistic scenario?
Your scenario isn't realistic. Preppers never give much thought to anything, other than trying to look cool.

Planners would already be able to deal with neighboring groups of people, so a feudal technological enclave would be just another tricky day.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:11 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Your scenario isn't realistic. Preppers never give much thought to anything, other than trying to look cool.

Planners would already be able to deal with neighboring groups of people, so a feudal technological enclave would be just another tricky day.
Not sure if you are serious or not.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:23 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
[quote=Mircea;41836876]Cash is irrelevant in the post-apocalyptic world.

[/quote)
correct.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:14 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
No, it isn't. In the confusion that follows, people will still take the only thing they know...cash

Quote:
Preppers never give much thought to anything, other than trying to look cool.
If you feel that way about preppers, what the hail are you doing posting on this forum?

Old 11-07-2015, 03:36 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
No, it isn't. In the confusion that follows, people will still take the only thing they know...cash
That is so true. When Saddam was fighting the Marxist Kurds he informed the people that there would be a currency replacement and the old currency would then be demonetized. He did not, however, make the new currency available to the Kurds. While the Kurds could no longer use their demonetized currency to import anything, they did use it to conduct their internal transactions as if nothing had happened. What they were using wasn't even a fiat currency. However, it did have value simply because people accepted it which is all that's necessary to confer value.

Quote:
If you feel that way about preppers, what the hail are you doing posting on this forum?
He plans to be a raider leading his band of merry men.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:

cash will be accepted for a short time only, ditto precious metals, what good is cash if you cant buy food with it you cant eat cash, paper notes might be ok for starting a fire I suppose.
I second your second remark.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

He plans to be a raider leading his band of merry men.
he wont be around for long post event then.
we all know how to deal with thieves around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness