Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:24 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I disagree. Maintaining a large home garden is expensive,
I have not found that to be true.

Quote:
... if you go organic and use only hand labor so that you aren't "part of the C02 problem",
Organic has no connection to 'hand labor'.

Perennials are much less labor than annuals.

Quote:
... Repeated studies have shown no significant difference between the chemical make-up of organically grown and commercially grown produce.
You mean nutritional value.

There is a big difference in pesticide content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:41 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You mean nutritional value.

There is a big difference in pesticide content.
Actually, there is also a difference in nutritional values (concentration of components such as anti-oxidants). At least one study has found that organic veggies and fruits have up to 70% more antioxidants than conventionally grown counterparts (the conventional stuff also has too much nitrogen etc. in it). When you widen the field to meat and eggs, there is even more difference. Home grown eggs from pastured hens are much more nutritious (not to mention the antibiotics and growth hormones). Grass fed meat has the proper ratios of omega-3 to the rest of the omegas (which are off kilter in grain fed meats). Keeping a few chickens for a family even if just for eggs is absolutely no work. As for keeping a home organic garden being "expensive" - it will never be more expensive than the local farmers' markets or Wholefoods. Yes, you will need to invest some time into it but it's not like it requires you to stare at the broccoli 24/7 and watch it grow moment to moment

Old 12-18-2015, 07:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Actually, there is also a difference in nutritional values (concentration of components such as anti-oxidants). At least one study has found that organic veggies and fruits have up to 70% more antioxidants than conventionally grown counterparts (the conventional stuff also has too much nitrogen etc. in it). When you widen the field to meat and eggs, there is even more difference. Home grown eggs from pastured hens are much more nutritious (not to mention the antibiotics and growth hormones). Grass fed meat has the proper ratios of omega-3 to the rest of the omegas (which are off kilter in grain fed meats). Keeping a few chickens for a family even if just for eggs is absolutely no work. As for keeping a home organic garden being "expensive" - it will never be more expensive than the local farmers' markets or Wholefoods. Yes, you will need to invest some time into it but it's not like it requires you to stare at the broccoli 24/7 and watch it grow moment to moment
It's not a lot of work to take care of chickens, but you must be there every single day for them. It can take time as well. Chickens like company as much as cats and dogs. They also like special treats so I raise mealworms for them.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It's not a lot of work to take care of chickens, but you must be there every single day for them.
I have to disagree with you here, my friend.

All 4 of us have been off the property for a week at a time, with no ill effects on the 325 birds (chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys) that we raised this year. Neither did we have any help from neighbors, etc. There are automated feed and watering systems available, not expensive. It also helps if they are on pasture. People forget that these birds evolved to be able to live in the wild - and many poultry raisers have found their "escapees" happily roosting and nesting in the wilds near their farms.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:13 AM

I have skipped up to 3 days at a time, without tending our chickens, ducks and turkeys.

But we have never skipped a day with our pigs. Even if it is only one cup of grain per day, they get restless if they are not 'fed'. Regardless of how much of their daily intake comes from the woods / mast, they still want a daily feeding.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:32 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Market Gardening: How to Make a Living on 1.5 Acres - Organic Gardening - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

"Learn from the experience of a seasoned farmer and you, too, will be able to grow a successful and fulfilling market gardening career on less acreage than you ever thought possible"

So what do you all think?
He supports a family of 4 and has 2 full-time employees. It's doable.

I have posted about this before. A man in Minneapolis produces one million pounds of food annually on 3 acres. He grows year round in hoop houses. The only heat source is a compost pile in each hoop house which provides enough heat to get his plants through Minnesota winters.

You don't have to buy large acreage or fertile farming land. You can either improve your soil or set up a hoop house just about anywhere.

We use about 1/2 acre of our land for year-round gardening for 2 of us. We don't sell the excess; it goes to family members.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
He supports a family of 4 and has 2 full-time employees. It's doable.

I have posted about this before. A man in Minneapolis produces one million pounds of food annually on 3 acres. He grows year round in hoop houses. The only heat source is a compost pile in each hoop house which provides enough heat to get his plants through Minnesota winters.

You don't have to buy large acreage or fertile farming land. You can either improve your soil or set up a hoop house just about anywhere.

We use about 1/2 acre of our land for year-round gardening for 2 of us. We don't sell the excess; it goes to family members.
I see a lot of these stories coming from Maine too. We have really good Apprenticeship / Journeyman programs that get young farmers going on their own farms.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:09 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Optimal flavor and nutritional value occur simultaneously, usually in the last couple of days ripening on the plant.

Supermarket produce is picked green and bred to look pretty and to withstand long distance shipping. This sacrifices flavor and nutrition. It's practically tasteless to me. Some farmer's market vendors buy produce from the same places supermarkets do, so know your source.

Optimal flavor is one of the joys in life I'd rather not do without. The added benefit is higher nutritional value. Some things you just have to do yourself if you want high quality.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:20 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Optimal flavor and nutritional value occur simultaneously, usually in the last couple of days ripening on the plant.

Supermarket produce is picked green and bred to look pretty and to withstand long distance shipping. This sacrifices flavor and nutrition. It's practically tasteless to me. Some farmer's market vendors buy produce from the same places supermarkets do, so know your source.

Optimal flavor is one of the joys in life I'd rather not do without. The added benefit is higher nutritional value. Some things you just have to do yourself if you want high quality.
Got to agree, The beef and pork I raise myself is so superior to what I can get in the stores you wouldn't know it comes from the same animal.

Some stores will inject nitrogen into the packaging to make the meat redder for sale. Isn't supposed to have an effect on it or the consumer, but I prefer the stuff I raise, process and cook myself.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:37 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Our little tiny acreage (1.2) is so wooded and rocky. This is our first year here and we plan to try to grow SOMETHING in the spring. But we also intend to clear a lot of the volunteer trees to open up some sunlight. I'll tell you another drawback from the trees. We spent all day yesterday clearing leaves that had been there for probably 10+ years. Have mercy!! And that was just the "yard". At least we're reclaiming it as yard.
\

That is soil-building. As another poster right under you mentioned, removing the leaves is a big mistake. You need to read before you clear. And look into composting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness