Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 09:37 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I have a real problem understanding why there are folks that take such pleasure in belittling the beliefs of others, when it makes absolutely no impact on them.

Why come to a self sufficiency board, when you cannot grasp the fact that some people like to build their own home, or raise their own livestock or garden, make their own power or simply be less reliant on government services?

If you are of the firm belief that nothing bad can ever happen,(despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary). and if something does happen, the government will be right there handing out checks to protect you, why go to a preparedness forum?

It is always amazing to me that some folks just seem to live for putting down others, some sort of smug self superiority complex I guess because they don't have meaning to their own lives, so they have to make it appear that they are far more intelligent than others, when in fact, they come across as petulant children that cannot accept that others have different ideas than they do.

Sad really.

But there is a remedy.
The IGNORE feature is great, and the trolls eventually starve for lack of attention.
seeing you quoted my post I assume those remarks are aimed at me? in which case I think you've got the wrong end of the stick friend. something about "the pot calling the kettle black".
i'm getting rather bored with these aggressive and nasty replies to my posts, cant anyone play nicely anymore??

Last edited by bigpaul; 12-23-2015 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 09:49 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
seeing you quoted my post I assume those remarks are aimed at me? in which case I thing you've got the wrong end of the stick friend. some about "the pot calling the kettle black".
I was agreeing with you.

I also get upset about trolls coming on this board and trying to put down those that prep.

Don't be so defensive, there are folks that share your beliefs.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:50 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
I was agreeing with you.

I also get upset about trolls coming on this board and trying to put down those that prep.

Don't be so defensive, there are folks that share your beliefs.
yes, a few, just a few.
apologies.
TBH I don't think any of us are accomplishing much being on this forum, the ones of us who prep will continue to prep, and the ones that all think we are crazy will continue to not prep.
i'd rather prep and nothing happens than not prep and something happens and have to rely on a third party for my survival, now THAT is whats crazy.

Last edited by bigpaul; 12-23-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
yes, a few, just a few.
apologies.
TBH I don't think any of us are accomplishing much being on this forum, the ones of us who prep will continue to prep, and the ones that all think we are crazy will continue to not prep.
i'd rather prep and nothing happens than not prep and something happens and have to rely on a third party for my survival, now THAT is whats crazy.
No Sweat, and again, I agree.

However, forums like this do serve a purpose as a source of information for folks that are waking up and seeing that the world isn't all sunshine and lollypops, and that the government can't protect you from much of anything, (see San Bernardino).

Forums like this of folks that actually do take care of themselves and talk about their successes and failures are a valuable resource for folks that are just starting out, or have questions about what they do that those of us that have done this for a while can answer their questions and provide a helping hand.

You won't get information about taking care of yourself off of a government website. It's up to the folks that actually do it to lead the way and help others find their own level of security in a very uncertain world.

I mostly do self sufficiency, I don't look to asteroids or whatever to disrupt civilization, but I can see where the current society is circling the bowl rapidly, so what I do works whether or not there is a collapse.

I just live the way I want to, which makes me a threat to the government lackeys.

Kind of nice to know I give them heartburn every now and then

Old 12-23-2015, 12:18 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Why come to a self sufficiency board, when you cannot grasp the fact that some people like to build their own home, or raise their own livestock or garden, make their own power or simply be less reliant on government services?
This has been my question for over a year now, and I never got a satisfactory answer. I think part of the problem is that little blurb on the right, about "active threads around the forum". That draws all kinds of nonsense over here. Just have to put up with it, but nice to know others feel as I do.

And yes, "Ignore" works fantastically well for the worst of 'em!

Old 12-23-2015, 02:57 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
shame really, the forum could be so much more
I am trying hard to find posts where you offered what YOU are doing, how you are prepping and for what. Once I think I asked you and you quoted OPSEC or some other nonsense and offered nothing. So how exactly are you enriching this forum? By offering predictions of impending doom and saying ad nauseaum that everyone around you depends on the government, the iphone and the supermarket?

Sorry if you got offended, that honestly was not the intention of my reply. It just occurred to me after reading the post I replied to that you listed quite a few things you went through - it usually takes some time to live through all of those. My only recommendation remains - don't worry about all the technology dependent folks who don't believe in your version of the future - life is too short to worry about all that nonsense since you essentially have no control over what people think! That was a genuine recommendation.

Feel free to tell us how YOU are preparing for the impending (supposedly?) failure of the grid.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:44 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
... You won't get information about taking care of yourself off of a government website. It's up to the folks that actually do it to lead the way and help others find their own level of security in a very uncertain world.
Well, hold on, the Cooperative Extension Office in every county across the USA does teach people to be more self-sufficient. There are government programs that date back to the Great Depression to encourage home-owner independence.

They run Master-Gardener courses, Master-Canner courses, 4H, beekeeping, etc. Every state has Horticulturists [what used to be the County Ag Agent - 'Hank Kimball'], and a Food Safety phd so even if you want to develop your own personal food preservation method for a home-made recipe they will work with you [for free] to preserve your food in a safe manner.

They offer pest ID / control assistance, livestock necropsy services, water testing services, soil testing, and many other services.

I serve on the board for my County Cooperative Extension Office, so I am a little bit familir with some of their programs.

On a side note, I am also subscribed to some of the FEMA newsletters. They also put out a lot of data about disaster prep. And they invite everyone to participate in city and county disaster prep meetings and drills.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:58 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Well, hold on, the Cooperative Extension Office in every county across the USA does teach people to be more self-sufficient. There are government programs that date back to the Great Depression to encourage home-owner independence.

They run Master-Gardener courses, Master-Canner courses, 4H, beekeeping, etc. Every state has Horticulturists [what used to be the County Ag Agent - 'Hank Kimball'], and a Food Safety phd so even if you want to develop your own personal food preservation method for a home-made recipe they will work with you [for free] to preserve your food in a safe manner.

They offer pest ID / control assistance, livestock necropsy services, water testing services, soil testing, and many other services.

I serve on the board for my County Cooperative Extension Office, so I am a little bit familir with some of their programs.

On a side note, I am also subscribed to some of the FEMA newsletters. They also put out a lot of data about disaster prep. And they invite everyone to participate in city and county disaster prep meetings and drills.
Yeah but, but, don't let the facts get in the way...

Old 12-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I stand corrected. I have used the extension service myself, but I usually see that as local and not quite the same kind of government I see as the Feds.

Extension offices really vary from county to county, when I was in 4-H as a kid, the extension officer was really involved and quite good, but the county I live in now, the extension office is a waste of space. They have some pamphlets, but that's about it.

I usually don't think of county as "government" in that sense mostly because they are close enough to the people that the citizens actually have some input.
Once you get to state level, the impact of the citizens really drops off, and once you reach federal level, you just become an irritation.

When I was Fire Captain of a volunteer department we tried to work with the state Fire Marshall and state/fed disaster services for training and disaster planning, and that went nowhere. It was their way or the highway, and they didn't care which you chose.

States can vary a lot too, mostly depending on money. My state does pretty well with wildfire planning, but floods are pretty much a Charlie Foxtrot situation. When blizzards knock out power, it's usually the Army Guard that helicopters in hay, food, and extracts people in need of medical care, not the DNRC or other Emergency Services.

The Red Cross does a pretty good job here, but then so does the Salvation Army for disaster relief.

Once you get past local government, I find most of them are pretty useless.

One of my consulting jobs these days is Safety/Security/Emergency Coordinator for a fairly large business. The State/Feds want us to do drills and gives us all kinds of paperwork to fill out, but when there's an actual situation, usually it's over long before those guys ever show up. We just had an earthquake drill, I didn't see anyone that wasn't local doing any checks, and I work in the capital city where government lives, so they should have at least made an appearance.

We don't have an apprentice farmer program, Soil and Water testing you can either pay a private company or it's done by the local university, and again, you pay for it.

Food Safety is through the County Sanitation Office, Department of Ag handles livestock necropsies, and because of the Yellowstone Buffalo having brucellosis, if your herd gets that, you kill your herd, period.
The local high schools usually have some night classes for home canning, not the state or extension service.

I see a lot of posters about invasive weeds put out by the state, but I have no knowledge of any assistance to get rid of them, you pay someone to come in and poison the weeds.

We live in very different places, so while what I said doesn't necessarily match Maine, for Montana, what I said is accurate.

Your extension service being pro-active may in part be because you are on the board.
All I know is that around here, most of the resources you have to help you are you, your family and your friends.
We may pay taxes for the services, but we pretty much get bupkis for those moneys, so I remain cynical when it comes to most government "services".

Old 12-23-2015, 04:50 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Default Sheeple!

For your holiday amusement!
Attached Thumbnails
If The Elecrical Grid Should Go Down What are a Few Of The Ramifications-sheeple1.jpeg   If The Elecrical Grid Should Go Down What are a Few Of The Ramifications-sheeple.jpeg   If The Elecrical Grid Should Go Down What are a Few Of The Ramifications-sheeple3.jpeg   If The Elecrical Grid Should Go Down What are a Few Of The Ramifications-apple_planned_obsolescence_sheeple_iflock.jpeg   If The Elecrical Grid Should Go Down What are a Few Of The Ramifications-sheeple.jpeg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness