Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 06:06 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Well use your imagination and add your outcomes while we patiently wait for Germany to supply us with replacement grid parts which in a Congressional report could take 1- 1/2 years to restore. It is predicted that 90% of US population will die within the first year and here is why.

What will happen all depends on the federal government and if there's an agenda behind the failure or if it was an unexpected hostile attack or an unstoppable solar event.

The biggest question would be... what sort of outside help would the US government ask for in terms of humanitarian relief and peacekeeping forces? Would martial law be imposed? Would the Constitution be suspended? How much emergency food stores does the fed and state have?

The answers to those questions would supply all the most likely events that would come after, sort of like a flow chart.

The only way that 300 million people would die, is if there was an asteroid strike or an all-out nuclear first strike on the USA from multiple enemies working in concert from both oceans, using ballistic missile submarines to shorten the response time and hamper our ability to know who to hit back at.

More likely, is there will be a humanitarian crisis declared focused on the big cities and the UN peacekeepers would be called in. There would be rationing, federal seizures of all food storage warehouses and retailer outlets, and a release of federal emergency stockpiles for the short term, until the world shipments could start rolling in by airlift and ship.

Meantime, people would be instructed on how to live without power. The guard and reserve would be deployed until Congress saw the need to make active duty troops involved in the domestic effort. The cities would be locked down and looters, gangs and criminals would be shut down with curfews and straight up street justice. Feeding centers would be set up regionally and in the cities and metropolises. Rural folks and small towners would be told to request assistance as necessary and encouraged to "team together" and share food and water and assistance with each other - as most of the real assets of the fed are going to be directed where the potential for unrest or mass death is greatest. Everybody in the cities would be encouraged - or required - to avoid travel and stay off the streets after dark except to work.

We'd get by.

But the biggest question is - and there will be plenty of suspicion and rumors and political conspiratorial stuff - was it all a big scheme by the government or not? And how do we keep one party or the other from using the situation to accomplish some scheme to take over the government? Paranoia would be off the scale. Especially without any information flow. You'd see a real boom in printed newspapers though. If you're a profiteer, that's the time to have a printing press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:20 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Thumbs up Thank you, Nor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
For your holiday amusement!

Dear NOR,

Thanks for the cute pictures! By the way, I started a BIRTHDAY PARTY THREAD for "MSINA" in the MAINE forum. Please stop by!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU & EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!!

COUNTRY

Old 12-24-2015, 12:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Dear NOR,

Thanks for the cute pictures! By the way, I started a BIRTHDAY PARTY THREAD for "MSINA" in the MAINE forum. Please stop by!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU & EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!!

COUNTRY
Thank you countrylv!

You are the Sweetheart of CD forum and I just love to see your smiling face show up and brighten every corner where you appear! Much love and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours! I'll stop over at Maine - thanks for the party invite!

Old 12-24-2015, 01:49 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I am trying hard to find posts where you offered what YOU are doing, how you are prepping and for what. Once I think I asked you and you quoted OPSEC or some other nonsense and offered nothing. So how exactly are you enriching this forum? By offering predictions of impending doom and saying ad nauseaum that everyone around you depends on the government, the iphone and the supermarket?

Feel free to tell us how YOU are preparing for the impending (supposedly?) failure of the grid.
i'm not sure if your trying to be helpful or your just a nosy git trying to find out my personal information! like I've said before i'm not putting personal info on an open site, however I have put short term and longer term preparations into place for when the power goes off. having in the past lived a simpler and more basic lifestyle that is the one I will revert to when all the modern systems come crashing down.
we grow a lot, not all but a lot , of our own fruit and veg and have a larger than normal canned food store which I am adding to on a weekly basis(obviously this wont last forever once the store delivery stops but its a hedge for those times when I cannot obtain fresh food-like in the winter for instance).
my main preparation is in the forms of skills and knowledge which will last a lifetime and cannot be stolen from me in a crisis- short of being mugged and murdered that is!

Old 12-24-2015, 01:55 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
i'm not sure if your trying to be helpful or your just a nosy git trying to find out my personal information! like I've said before i'm not putting personal info on an open site, however I have put short term and longer term preparations into place for when the power goes off. having in the past lived a simpler and more basic lifestyle that is the one I will revert to when all the modern systems come crashing down.
we grow a lot, not all but a lot , of our own fruit and veg and have a larger than normal canned food store which I am adding to on a weekly basis(obviously this wont last forever once the store delivery stops but its a hedge for those times when I cannot obtain fresh food-like in the winter for instance).
my main preparation is in the forms of skills and knowledge which will last a lifetime and cannot be stolen from me in a crisis- short of being mugged and murdered that is!
When I asked you once what wild plants you found in your area you exploded and claimed that I was seeking to learn confidential information about you. I just assumed you knew nothing about wild plants or foraging.

Would you tell me what any of the cultivars are of the fruits and vegetables that you grow?

Old 12-24-2015, 02:07 AM

i'm not sure what your point is, I think your getting a bit pedantic, especially with me.
we grow the usual stuff normal for this area of the country and stuff that will grow here in this soil and this climate.
I have a stock of heritage seeds.
I have many years gardening and allotmenting knowledge.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:21 AM

NOW, getting back to the thread heading, I read some time ago that if the power grid went down it would take the UK about 2 years to replace all the spare parts, this is because these are not kept "on the shelf" gathering dust in some store room but have to be ordered from some manufacturer in some distant country, each one takes several months to order, make and deliver, never mind fit them.
now can you see the population of the UK, or any other western country for that matter, sitting still in the dark for 2 years waiting for the lights to come back on?no, neither can I!
there would be rioting in the streets, the anarchists and the scum would have a field day, societal collapse would be the result.
that's why I think once the power goes off its not coming back on, ever.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:30 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
Ok this is a start .

So, how are you going to heat yourself when the electricity goes off? After all, you are in the UK, gets cold there...

I don't really care to know your real name or address but if you will be on a forum accusing others of detracting from it and saying how the forum could be a place of learning etc. - well, please teach us - what do you do and prep for?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:54 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
For your holiday amusement!
Excellent!!

Thanks for the laugh, and Merry Christmas to you and all our Self-Sufficient/Survivor/Prepper friends.

And in the spirit of the season, Merry Christmas to our resident trolls too.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:24 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Merry Christmas to you and all our Self-Sufficient/Survivor/Prepper friends.
Yes - to all our SS&P friends and CD friends from other boards, and trolls; put aside our differences on this one day a year of brotherly love, to celebrate life and love and family with good cheer -

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
FELIZ NAVIDAD!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness