Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 03:52 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

You all are awesome! Non-judgemental (for most part) & super helpful. We arent milllionaires thus can't buy underground caves like bunkers in sci-fi movies but darn, wanna decide where/how/when to improve asap our personal survival ops down the rd. I posted in Maine thread a compare of Maine, WV & Montana as best to live?

We're both older in 50s w/ no kids, fixed incomes, considering even buyin RV to move anywhere as needed -- vs stable home -- & clueless as to gardening, chicken raising, etc. as she's an urban gal when growing up & I'm suburban. Though many rural areas we've lived while in college, etc. -- still city/burbs is most familiar. I got buddies who've no idea what I even say re prepping, let alone could even try it, haha.

Ok, I want to begin w/ a brand new SW radio & so, Tecsun 880 wins, i think, no? I'm getting to point where time to poop or get off pot, haha, as dad used to say.

Ok, I know you all think I've gone nuts here (perhaps so ), so be it, haha, but seriously if y'all can advise slowly to begin even where of those 3 states -- vs an RV -- & thus... wouldn't WV win if only due to low current cost of liv -- & much warmer overall yr temps thus bettering growing season lengths, etc.?

Ok, I turn it over to you experts & again, sincere thx from both us for all your sage advice -- albeit clearly over my wine-mind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 07:35 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Hope you enjoy your new Tecsun 880 radio!

I saw your thread over at the Maine forum. As they said over there, those 3 states are very different, and we'd need more info about what you want, and what you're planning. In general, my observations are:

Montana is beautiful and many parts of it are remote. I also understand it to be quite expensive. If money is no object, go for it. It currently suffers from the same drought conditions as most of the west, so consider that. The hunting is great, if you are an experienced hunter. The weather is more extreme- hotter in summer than WV and colder in winter than northern Maine. So be sure you are OK with that.

Maine is also very low population density, once you get north of the "Volvo Line". The temps are more moderate than MT. Land prices and COL are quite low for New England. Maine is a big state for NE. Just driving up there to look around will entail hours and long boring miles. You can get about as rural as you want in Maine. Water is plentiful, fishing is great, almost no crime to speak of, and the land is easily cultivated. Lots of privacy, and lots of moose and loons.

WV is one state where I've never been. It's plenty cold in winter, but less snow than MT or Maine. Summers are moderately hot, if you can deal with that. No drought that I've heard of. Low COL but I understand the people to be more blue collar, or lower middle class, probably not so well educated. It may ge different in the cities.

One state you didn't mention was TN. May I suggest you look into it. We have a place there. Talk about agriculture! We will be expanding our poultry and orchard operations there. Low COL, and no state income taxes. Great all around!

Good luck, whatever you decide on!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Thx Nor! Looking forward to it. Unsure if I need an extra antenna?

Old 12-13-2015, 05:36 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Thx Nor! Looking forward to it. Unsure if I need an extra antenna?
Yeah, I definitely would. Makes all the difference in the world (literally)!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yeah, I definitely would. Makes all the difference in the world (literally)!
Will do. ... heck, it is just $, hahaa. (Cuts into wine budget but hey it is a good cause, eh? Hehehee).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness