Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times

Advertisements

If you live in all but the warmest places in the US, you can store your taters, onions, beets, carrots, apples, and other root-type produce for most of the winter, underground. If packed properly, nearly all of it will stay fresh and edible. Trouble is, most people equate "root cellar" with a large room built of cement blocks built into the side of a hill...an expensive and time-consuming project. Others try to section off a portion of their basement (where the furnace is) and find it too warm; the vegetables rot.

Here's a neat idea for a cheap, fairly quick solution to the problem: burying barrels. This guy places his vertically, but it's easier to place them diagonally into the ground, and mound them up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LQ6HgCwm2M

Anyone interested in any type of root cellaring, should pick up a copy of the "bible": Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel. They'll get you thinking, alright! Imagine going through winter with many pounds of vegetables and fruits stored away, within easy access!

Robot Check (this link is good)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:50 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Placing it diagonally might make it easier to get things in and out of it too.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Placing it diagonally might make it easier to get things in and out of it too.
I agree. We are currently using plastic 32-gallon barrels placed diagonally. A lot less digging, and easier to get into. We just pile earth and hay over the barrels. Until we get a real cellar dug and built, this works fine.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:17 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Not a bad idea, especially if you have several barrels as that would keep the products separate.

In my country where the freeze line can go 4+ feet deep, it can be problematic to keep a constant temperature for food storage, we usually have to have at least 2 feet of soil covering the top and sometimes still have to put straw or some other insulator over them.

I'm kind of lucky in my work house because I have an unfinished basement, not even a cement floor, a glorified crawlspace really, but it works pretty well as a root cellar with the house on top providing insulation, and no furnace or heat source down there, stuff keeps pretty good.

I still use a lot of dehydrating for much of my produce, (saves space and last a long time in vacuum packs), and canning, but some stuff like spuds really do well in the cellar.

Good Idea with the barrels, they actually might make a good cache up at the cabin if I put something over the lid to keep out the bears.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

Good Idea with the barrels, they actually might make a good cache up at the cabin if I put something over the lid to keep out the bears.
Our Maine home literally has no basement -- it's up on piers. Kinda tough for a bear of any size to get under there. That's where the barrels are!

Old 02-06-2016, 03:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Our Maine home literally has no basement -- it's up on piers. Kinda tough for a bear of any size to get under there. That's where the barrels are!
Did you put it on piers due to potential flooding? I have an old log cabin on my hunting land that is at risk for flooding every spring. I could move it to higher ground, but a less desirable location, or put it on piers. I haven't checked on the costs but my initial thought is that moving it would be a lot cheaper. Your thoughts?

Old 02-06-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Did you put it on piers due to potential flooding? I have an old log cabin on my hunting land that is at risk for flooding every spring. I could move it to higher ground, but a less desirable location, or put it on piers. I haven't checked on the costs but my initial thought is that moving it would be a lot cheaper. Your thoughts?
No, we are in no danger of flooding where we are in Maine. But there is a lot of frost heave up there, and full basements are not only costly, but usually have moisture issues. We wanted a solid, dry, insulated, and rodent-proof barrier between the house and the ground. It is skirted with insulation board. We knew we wouldn't need space for a heater, water heater, or laundry, as all that is in the house.

As for your situation, moving the cabin is one solution, but could be costly. If it isn't too big a structure, try to get an Amish shed company to send out one of their delivery trucks, or at least a "mule", to lift and move the building. House-movers are quite pricey!

Old 02-06-2016, 04:51 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Depending on the size and construction of your cabin, it isn't that hard to rent some house jacks, put some bunks under the cabin once its raised, put in your piers, then lower the cabin back down.

Just raising even a moderately sized building isn't difficult if its got a good joist. Making sure its supported well so its safe to work under, not a huge problem.

Moving a house off a basement and taking it down the road, now THAT is a pain in the buns

Old 02-07-2016, 02:58 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
In my country where the freeze line can go 4+ feet deep, it can be problematic to keep a constant temperature for food storage, we usually have to have at least 2 feet of soil covering the top and sometimes still have to put straw or some other insulator over them.

Here in Texas I understand trying to keep a constant cool temperature, in fact, we want it as low as we can get it. So what is the problem with freezing?

Old 02-07-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Here in Texas I understand trying to keep a constant cool temperature, in fact, we want it as low as we can get it. So what is the problem with freezing?
The problem with freezing is, if you don't keep your root veggies either covered or below the frost line, they could freeze. That will ruin them. But I can see where states like TX would have a problem getting that temp down to the 40-ish F level, which makes for good storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness