Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Growing your own food is great for those with the land. Maybe I am wrong but it would seem pretty hard to do more than supplement our diet. I would need chickens and hogs for breakfast alone.
It will take some radical adjustments as the "normal" meals we expect will have to be adjusted to the available products. You won't be able to have bacon and eggs every morning but you may be able to have rabbit and eggs, or venison and some other protein. As we humans have done throughout our existence, we adapt to what is available and in time, it becomes our standard fare.

I believe the hardest part of individual food production will be the startup. Like anything that takes time and energy to produce, you can't sprinkle seeds on the dirt, spray some water and that night have a bountiful harvest (heck even the first harvest may be dismal in production as one fine tunes). Unfortunately, even today, many self sustaining harvest still rely on outside resources that may not be available; Fuel for equipment; Supplies for cooking, Resources to preserve; all these may not be available. That would require a shift in production and could possible result in a bounty of limited use items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Lot of work for a single person. I may focus on foods that store well. Foods easily last twice their expiration date in my experience if you can somehow keep them cool and dry.
And that may be what will probably happen to many, adjusting to what can provide in the quantity needed and maintaining a reserve that can store for the times things just don't work out right. However, it's all going to require that people throw away their normal meal planning and learn to make what they can from what they have.

I also suspect that some produce is going to fall by the wayside. It's like a person growing iceberg lettuce now, well in a crisis time, there are much more nutritious, easier to grew and preservable leaf crops that makes more sense to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 04:33 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I'm having a terrible time trying to grow things and it's taking time to learn it all .
Much tougher than I thought.
I store food because failed crops are "not" a thing of the past and there are no guarantees, with all the changes in weather patterns ,it's foolish to assume that growing is always going to be a viable resource.
It is not inconceivable that both a natural disaster and man made ones could pollute the atmosphere to the degree nothing will grow out side.
If all you eggs are in one basket your no better off then those that did not prepare.
It's nice to have a well, but if an earth quake hits and the well is shut off or contaminated then what .
Having an alternative substantial reservoir is still ahead of the game .

Old 02-28-2016, 02:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Stock up my little lambs as emergency food will soon be all bought up by FEMA it' s first 1 billion spent in 2014 . History including Stalins forces controlled food in Russia, Mao in China and thereby gave them a method of control over a militant, angry and hungery population ..... . Food is a policing mechanism in times when its nearly impossible to find a german sheppard to roast ( a delecacy to one starving) ok maybe a collie. Anyway, store up now. The government has good intentions also to feed the public ,but we have already concluded that destribution would be
regionalat best (most emergency food stored in South east). In the event of a downed grid all computers will fail including copters and interstate
transport. If Yellowstone blows forget about it. So prepare!
I haven't posted here for almost a month. However, it is necessary to respond to your important post.

Food has indeed been a weapon of government in controlling people; it has played an even more important role in killing them. Stalin's program of starving the Ukrainians is well-known, but that of the victors in World War II to starve the Germans is far less known and virtually never discussed outside academia although nearly two million Germans died of starvation. It is incumbent on us to learn of this to better understand our situation as well as make plans to deal with it.

Mass Starvation of Germans, 1945-1950

Burning crops and slaughtering farm animals is a long standing miltary strategy to force the weak into submission. It has worked well, but many starve regardless of how compliant they are. The most compliant and submissive die first.

Storing food is the best, nay more, the only way to survive. The survivalist's pantry must contain not only rotating canned and other packaged goods but requires long term food supplies. A five or ten year supply is easy to store and inexpensive if it relies primarily on grains and legumes. Sprouting those grains and legumes additionally provides us a reliable source of Vitamin C.

The LDS basic Four, a complete diet, consists of only wheat, dried milk, honey, and salt. Salt is an essential and can also serve as a prized barter item or, more likely, as a very salable commodity during TEOTWAWKI. Be cautious when storing dehydrated and freeze-dried products. Their shelf lives are relatively short once opened and they require refrigerated storage. It's unfortunate that most are only available in #10 cans. Be sure to use beforehand whatever you store of these foods. It's not just a matter of taste; some foods will support a better means of healthy living than others. Individual needs vary. A sample meal is woefully inadequate to correctly judge.

Don't store all of your food in one place; don't store all of it in your home. Food chemistry is quite advanced; long term storage is practical and easy even below ground. Government employees are lazy and stupid. They won't take what they can't see.

The best introductory food storage book is the LDS Preparedness Manual. It's free. The Mormons have been doing this for a long time; they've learned a great deal.

https://quicaltecha.files.wordpress....12-edition.pdf

Old 02-28-2016, 03:04 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Don't store all of your food in one place; don't store all of it in your home. Food chemistry is quite advanced; long term storage is practical and easy even below ground.
Good advice, and something we follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness