Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:54 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times

Advertisements

I must preface with this is an "opinion" subject to Bering wrong as braod brushing categories often leave pockets of these categories who DO prepare. The highly suspect are as follows and are complacent for many personal reasons which although I criticize it is their right!!:

1. Churches/schools,/ hospitals, nursing homes ,ACLF's prisons , high rise condos.

2. Over 65 population

3. Youth under 20 ( children dependant on adult wisdom)

4. Philosphically oriented who believe what will be will be

5. Those who would rather die than live through a long-term disaster recovery

6. People ignorant of the dangers of EMP's, earthquakes, sun flares, Volcanoes (Yellowstone culdera,
Gulf of Mexico, worldwide ,Canary Islands). Nuclear atmospheric EMP attack

7. Financially unable to prepare ( except for basiuc can goods etc)

8. Those who find it difficult to protect emergent supplies without a plan of evasive action ( gun(s)
storage ( fear being murdered ,harmed for supplies)
9. Those who rely on FEMA, Red Cross, Food /water sources ( likely not available at all!)

10. Those simply too busy with daily life with zero interest in prepping

Last edited by openmike; 04-10-2016 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 04:34 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
2. Over 65 population
While I might agree with some of the other categories, I do wonder why you chose this one.

I'm 68, and familiar roughly with the ages of many of the regulars here, and 50s-60s is well represented. Not all 65+ populations get around on walkers and canes, just waiting for the next doctor's appt for a refill of a cocktail of drugs! That is a myth that only the young believe, that we're all "geezers". In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the ages 50s-60s are most representative of the prepper, with the 40s being close behind.

Stop and think about it; who is most likely to have the $$$ to put into preparedness food, gear, and guns? Who is of an age to have their home property paid off, and have the funds for a retreat location? Who has lived long enough to remember the riots of the 60s, the Blizzard of '78, the stock market crash of '87, and the junk-bond bust of the 90s? All that happened before the turn of the century, and you certainly won't find Millennials or even Gen-Xers who were much if at all affected by most of that.

There's one category though, that you didn't mention -- urbanites. Sure there are a few who prep. But by virtue of the fact that most most die-hard urbanites refuse to leave the cities for any reason, they are showing that convenience is of greater importance to them than safety or security.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:44 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times
Nor'Eastah. Excellent point ,but as a activist in my community I met with hundreds of over 65 and the apathy toward preparedness is overwhelming. I'm 70 and nearly none of my friends or associates don't even have a clue what I'm referring to regarding -preparedness. Many think back at cold war silliness where fall-out shelters tuned into a laughing stock.. We have an exception in Wisconsin a fella in a large qeodesic home with gas tank, food, water storage ( with Silver Sol disinfecting) and a multiple supply system. He is 74! As I said in my thread not all my hits are across the board applicable as there are always exceptions and those who do circles around me. As for urbanites you also have a point as without a "plan" it could be miserable when the lights are out, no power, communication ,shutdown of all computers including cars, trucks, buses, trains ,planes , TV ,cells etc. Read " One Second After " by William Forsthen Prof. at Montreat College NC. We were in Black Mountain yesterday and ironically we saw his book in at least six stores. It takes you on a ride through a EMP ,which I pray will never happen as Congressional study released in late 2015 projects the death of 95% of the US population within the first of two years to recover the grid! I shouldn' t even presume Nor you haven't read Forsthen .

Last edited by openmike; 04-10-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
...as a activist in my community I interviewed hundreds of over 65 and the
apathy toward -preparedness is overwhelming.
Let me guess...most of those are urbanites, right?

Old 04-10-2016, 05:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Could it be that those over 65 are already considering end of life issues? If SHTF, maybe they are willing to let it hit. They've lived over 65 years. At this age, do they want to start farming and shooting random strangers who looked at them funny? Personally, if I was over 65 and the world began resembling the Walking Dead, I'd "opt out."

Old 04-10-2016, 05:41 PM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
I think the 10 groups mentioned could be consolidated into just three that would eliminate the need to apologize for generalization: (1) the naive (2) the unable and (3) those in denial.

Nor' is right about urbanites: those who live in high population density areas have less ability to provide for themselves and also will suffer more from unprepared intruders in an emergent situation.

Maybe we could add a 4th group: the frustrated-- those that think it would be futile to try to prepare.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Could it be that those over 65 are already considering end of life issues? If SHTF, maybe they are willing to let it hit. They've lived over 65 years. At this age, do they want to start farming and shooting random strangers who looked at them funny? Personally, if I was over 65 and the world began resembling the Walking Dead, I'd "opt out."
Now, you don't know this. I can tell you that age 65 sneaks up on you awfully fast. Nobody I know in that age group (or even 70+) is willing to roll over and give up the ghost. Probably, you won't either.

It is not about "farming and shooting random strangers." It's about preserving the lives and security of yourself and your family members. Yhe younger they are, the more I worry about them.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
...as a activist in my community I met with hundreds of over 65 and the apathy toward preparedness is overwhelming. I'm 70 and nearly none of my friends or associates don't even have a clue what I'm referring to regarding -preparedness. Many think back at cold war silliness where fall-out shelters tuned into a laughing stock..
If you talked to hundreds of people, you talked to many who had made preparations. They knew enough to keep their mouths shut.

There was no cold war ''silliness.'' There was a monstrous enemy. The communists always had plenty of allies and dupes in the liberal media who would attack and ridicule on command.

I only care about what others do insofar as they represent potential danger. These groups include the poor in general, minorities, and the young (16-35). I see former government employees who had been delegated authority in the fallen regime as particularly dangerous.

The unprepared will only be a short term danger. Starvation induces lethargy. Water-born diseases are likely to appear in a short time as well.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:28 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
I don't think age has anything to do with it. Some people are just clueless and think we're invincible. All any terrorist or nutjob has to do is shut down our communication/computer systems and we're screwed. I don't advertise it, but I'm semi prepared and I'm almost 60. I'm not doing it for myself as much as I'm doing it for my kids and grandkids who are clueless and trusting.

Last edited by elliedeee; 04-10-2016 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 08:50 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Urban liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness