Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:16 AM

5,369 posts, read 3,554,756 times

Advertisements

there are plenty of weapons apart from guns, many of which don't need a licence or prior permission of TPTB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 03:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
there are plenty of weapons apart from guns, many of which don't need a licence or prior permission of TPTB.
They just aren't as effective. If you had any legal weapon or weapons you wished and your opponent had a single shot .22 short whom do you really think would win?

Now suppose that there were ten of you and your lone opponent had a Mauser Broomhandle pistol with a ten shot fixed magazine but relatively fast reloading using stripper clips. The Mauser hit the market in 1896. Winston Churchill carried one that he had purchased privately during the Boer War. He killed several people with it.

In the US the early Mauser pistols are legally antiques. The federal government doesn't regulate them in any manner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96

Old 05-04-2016, 04:13 AM

5,369 posts, read 3,554,756 times
that's where the US and UK differ, i'm not expecting to get into a firefight ala Mad Max or Rambo, living where I do i'll be lucky if I see anyone post collapse, might be different if I lived in London or Birmingham but I don't.
my weapons are mainly for hunting.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:26 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,462,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They just aren't as effective. If you had any legal weapon or weapons you wished and your opponent had a single shot .22 short whom do you really think would win?

Now suppose that there were ten of you and your lone opponent had a Mauser Broomhandle pistol with a ten shot fixed magazine but relatively fast reloading using stripper clips. The Mauser hit the market in 1896. Winston Churchill carried one that he had purchased privately during the Boer War. He killed several people with it.

In the US the early Mauser pistols are legally antiques. The federal government doesn't regulate them in any manner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96
Where can I get a Mauser pistol for a decent price? I thought they were pretty coveted by collectors.

At least some were capable of full auto.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
From the few posts of yours that I have read I am thinking you are in your 50's, if not 60's....so I am wondering how effective you are going to be with a halberd or samurai sword.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Where can I get a Mauser pistol for a decent price? I thought they were pretty coveted by collectors.

At least some were capable of full auto.
I have no idea what you mean by a ''decent price.'' You're in Virginia. Look at gunshows, on armslist.com, and check local classified ads. Estate auctions don't involve paperwork in all states; always inquire beforehand as auctions themselves vary. simpsonltd.com has cone hammers, antiques, from time to time. They have listed many other interesting antiques as well.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have no idea what you mean by a ''decent price.'' You're in Virginia. Look at gunshows, on armslist.com, and check local classified ads. Estate auctions don't involve paperwork in all states; always inquire beforehand as auctions themselves vary. simpsonltd.com has cone hammers, antiques, from time to time. They have listed many other interesting antiques as well.
By decent price I mean the a price where it would be a tool to me and not a collectible.

I think over $1,000 for an antique puts it in that category for me. I was under the impression that these were over $2,000 in good condition but I have not really looked for them much.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
By decent price I mean the a price where it would be a tool to me and not a collectible.

I think over $1,000 for an antique puts it in that category for me. I was under the impression that these were over $2,000 in good condition but I have not really looked for them much.
You can find modern broomhandles for not too much over a thousand. I've seen many at shows offered by private parties. I haven't seen an antique broomhandle at $2000 for years.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:48 AM

991 posts, read 626,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
We can't have guns...my husband is a convicted felon...his crime was a non-violent theft from a family member when he was a young, stupid teenager who was running with the wrong crowd and using drugs. :/

We have tasers, but I worry about how we would protect ourselves in a bad situation.
Everyday you can see the desperation from the left in wanting to 'take' everyone's guns or ability to defend one's self from the 'peons'.
(Charley Rangel admitted as much)

The Government understands that only the sheep and those unwilling to fight for liberty will be willing to surrender their weapons.
(Soon, A hangnail will be a valid reason to deny you of your right to protect yourself!)

Unbeknownst to them (government) at the time .. they prepared folks like me with a boatload of options!

The 'options' were all written and diagrammed in a manual.
The manual Home Made Munitions that the Army printed and made available to us back in 69!

I kept mine!

A 'snippet' of the introduction to the manual:

Quote:
In Unconventional Warfare operations it may be impossible or unwise to use conventional military munitions as tools in the conduct of certain missions. It may be necessary instead to fabricate the required munitions from locally available or unassuming materials.

The purpose of this manual is to increase the potential of Special Forces and guerrilla troops by describing in detail the manufacture of munitions from seemingly innocuous locally available materials.

Also, many of the ingredients and materials used in fabricating homemade items are so commonplace or innocuous they can be carried without arousing suspicion.
My manual teaches you how to build just about Any Type of munitions including substitutes for gunpowder.

I can build a pistol of just about any caliber from scrap items.

A 12-gauge shotgun can be made from 3/4 inch water or gas pipe and fittings.

Those of us with the know how will NEVER be 'unarmed'!
(PM me if you'd like a PDF copy)

Yeah, I might be overreacting to what seems to be going on around us today but ... who can know for sure?

Stay Safe.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:56 AM

991 posts, read 626,397 times
I thought that some of you would like a 'peek' at the table of contents of my old (DIY) Army manual.

Quote:
0.1 Purpose and Scope

In Unconventional Warfare operations it may be impossible or unwise to use conventional military munitions as tools in the conduct of certain missions. It may be necessary instead to fabricate the required munitions from locally available or unassuming materials. The purpose of this manual is to increase the potential of Special Forces and guerrilla troops by describing in detail the manufacture of munitions from seemingly innocuous locally available materials.

Manufactured, precision devices almost always will be more effective, more reliable, and easier to use than improvised ones, but shelf items will just not be available for certain operations for security or logistical reasons. Therefore the operator will have to rely on materials he can buy in a drug or paint store, find in a junk pile, or scrounge from military stocks. Also, many of the ingredients and materials used in fabricating homemade items are so commonplace or innocuous they can be carried without arousing suspicion. The completed item itself often is more easily concealed or camouflaged. In addition, the field expedient item can be tailored for the intended target, thereby providing an advantage over the standard item in flexibility and versatility.

The manual contains simple explanations and illustrations to permit construction of the items by personnel not normally familiar with making and handling munitions. These items were conceived in-house or, obtained from other publications or personnel engaged in munitions or special warfare work. This manual includes methods for fabricating explosives, detonators, propellants, shaped charges, small arms, mortars, incendiaries, delays, switches, and similar items from indigenous materials.
Table of Contents

Section 0 — Introduction

0.1 Purpose and Scope
0.2 Safety and Reliability
0.3 User Comments

Section 1 — Explosives and Propellants (includinigniters)
1.1 Plastic Explosive Filler
1.2 Potassium Nitrate
1.3 Improvised Black Powder
1.4 Nitric Acid
1.5 Initiator for Dust Explosions
1.6 Fertilizer Explosive
1.7 Carbon Tet – Explosive
1.8 Fertilizer AN-Al Explosive
1.9 “Red or White Powder” Propellant
1.10 Nitric Acid/Nitrobenzene (“Hellhoffite”) Explosive
1.11 Optimized Process for Cellulose/Acid Explosives
1.12 Methyl Nitrate Dynamite
1.13 Urea Nitrate Explosive
1.14 Preparation of Copper Sulfate (Pentahydrate)
1.15 Reclamation of RDX from C4
1.16 TACC (Tetramminecopper (II) Chlorate)
1.17 HMTD
1.18 Potassium or Sodium Nitrite and Litharge (Lead Monoxide)
1.19 DDNP
1.20 Preparation of Lead Picrate
1.21 Preparation of Picric Acid from Aspirin
1.22 Double Salts
1.23 Sodium Chlorate
1.24 Mercury Fulminate
1.25 Sodium Chlorate and Sugar or Aluminum Explosive

Section 2 — Mines and Grenades

2.1 Pipe Hand Grenade
2.2 Nail Grenade
2.3 Wine Bottle Cone Charge
2.4 Grenade-Tin Can Land Mine
2.5 Mortar Scrap Mine
2.6 Coke Bottle Shaped Charge
2.7 Cylindrical Cavity Shaped Charge
2.8 Not Available
2.9 Funnel Shaped Charge
2.10 Linear Shaped Charge

Section 3 — Small Arms Weapons and Ammunition

3.1 Pipe Pistol for 9 mm Ammunition
3.2 Shotgun (12 gauge)
3.3 Shotshell Dispersion Control
3.4 Carbine (7.62 mm Standard Rifle Ammunition)
3.5 Reusable Primer
3.6 Pipe Pistol for .45 Caliber Ammunition
3.7 Match Gun
3.8 Rifle Cartridge
3.9 Pipe Pistol for .38 Caliber Ammunition
3.10 Pipe Pistol for .22 Caliber Ammunition — Long or Short Cartridge
3.11 Low Signature System

Section 4 — Mortars and Rockets

4.1 Recoilless Launcher
4.2 Shotgun Grenade Launcher
4.3 Grenade Launcher (57 mm Cardboard Container)
4.4 Fire Bottle Launcher
4.5 Grenade Launchers
4.6 60 mm Mortar Projectile Launcher

Section 5 — Incendiary Devices

5.1 Chemical Fire Bottle
5.2 Igniter from Book Matches
5.3 Mechanically Initiated Fire Bottle
5.4 Gelled Flame Fuels

5.4.1 Lye Systems
5.4.2 Lye-Alcohol Systems
5.4.3 Soap-Alcohol System
5.4.4 Egg White Systems
5.4.5 Latex Systems
5.4.6 Wax Systems
5.4.7 Animal Blood Systems

5.5 Acid Delay Incendiary
5.6 Improvised White Flare
5.7 Improvised Iron Oxide
5.8 Improvised Yellow Flare
5.9 Improvised White Smoke Munition
5.10 Improvised Black Smoke Munition

Section 6 — Fuses, Detonators & Delay Mechanisms

6.1 Electric Bulb Initiator
6.2 Fuse Igniter from Book Matches
6.3 Delay Igniter from Cigarette
6.4 Watch Delay Timer
6.5 No-Flash Fuse Igniter
6.6 Dried Seed Timer
6.7 Fuse Cords

6.7.1 Fast Burning Fuse
6.7.2 Slow Burning Fuse

6.8 Clothespin Time Delay Switch
6.9 Time Delay Grenade
6.10 Can-Liquid Time Delay
6.11 Short Term Time Delay for Grenade
6.12 Long Term Time Delay for Grenade
6.13 Detonator

Section 7 — Miscellaneous

7.1 Clothespin Switch
7.2 Mousetrap Switch
7.3 Flexible Plate Switch
7.4 Metal Ball Switch
7.5 Altimeter Switch
7.6 Pull-Loop Switch
7.7 Knife Switch
7.8 Improvised Scale
7.9 Rope Grenade Launching Technique
7.10 Bicycle Generator Power Source
7.11 Automobile Generator Power Source
7.12 Improvised Battery (Short Lasting)
7.13 Improvised Battery (2 Hour Duration)
7.14 Armor Materials

Appendix 1 — Primary High Explosives

A1.1 Mercury Fulminate
A1.2 Lead Styphnate
A1.3 Lead Azide
A1.4 DDNP

Appendix 2 — Secondary High Explosives

A2.1 TNT
A2.2 Nitrostarch
A2.3 Tetryl
A2.4 RDX
A2.5 Nitroglycerin
A2.6 Commercial Dynamite
A2.7 Military Dynamite
A2.8 Amatol
A2.9 PETN
A2.10 Blasting Gelatin
A2.11 Composition B
A2.12 Composition C4
A2.13 Ammonium Nitrate

Colophon

C.1.0 Version 1.0 (1969)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness