Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 01:55 AM

10,419 posts, read 14,660,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Firearms are a necessity in a grid down/teotwawki to protect your home, family, and supplies.

Everyone should have AT LEAST a rifle and a handgun and several thousand rounds of ammo
Both Julian Hatcher and Mel Tappan subscribed to the philosophy of threeness. Hatcher said that he had bought three of the Colt 1911 when it was first chambered in .38 Super, a round that greatly impressed him. A half century later Mel Tappan recommended three of the 1911 chambered in the venerable .45 A.C.P. when he wrote Survival Guns. Redundancy is always a virtue.

I'd be remiss if I didn't say something about spare parts. Buy a good supply. Don't forget magazines as feed lips bend easily, but they are very difficult to repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 03:54 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,148,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Both Julian Hatcher and Mel Tappan subscribed to the philosophy of threeness. Hatcher said that he had bought three of the Colt 1911 when it was first chambered in .38 Super, a round that greatly impressed him. A half century later Mel Tappan recommended three of the 1911 chambered in the venerable .45 A.C.P. when he wrote Survival Guns. Redundancy is always a virtue.

I'd be remiss if I didn't say something about spare parts. Buy a good supply. Don't forget magazines as feed lips bend easily, but they are very difficult to repair.
Of course, 10 or 20 loaded magazines, should be a given. I'm talking at the VERY LEAST.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:42 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,337,728 times
My family is totally anti-gun, which makes me a gun owner, a pariah to family discussions.

I tell my family members that if they are that actively anti-gun then they should have the courage to post a sign on their house and a bumper sticker on their car that says that they have no guns. Not one has ever taken me up on it so that proves that they are not that secure in their decision and in the back of their minds they want the bad guys to think that maybe just maybe that they have guns, just to give them some feeling of fending off an attack, especially if TEOTWAWKI happens.

Yes, a prepper that does not believe in firearms is only collecting supplies for the bad guy down the street that knows or suspects they don't have guns.

I was having trouble with a neighbor a few decades ago. We lived on acreages and their were no firearm regulations where we lived. Well, one day I needed a burn barrel and I had a barrel but it need some holes for air at the bottom and I thought that I could do that real quick with my 12 gage with double buck ammo. So I put a few shells into the barrel. a month or so went by and I realized that my neighbor was being real good to me. He was very good for the remaining time I was there, several more years. I wonder why the change in attitude?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:45 PM

19,031 posts, read 14,303,539 times
A right undefended is no right.

When you meet a hungry lion, whose "right to life" is superior?
The one who can best defend that right.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:39 PM

10,419 posts, read 14,660,447 times
It's good to see that there are those who do believe in surviving and rights as free men and women although I'm sad that there aren't more. I notice that the smug and bragging government employees, present and former, are conspicuous by their absense. I am not surprised.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:50 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,221,257 times
I have a plaque that reads, "A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject." I will never be a subject.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:29 AM

7,647 posts, read 9,995,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Got to protect what you got. No sense in prepping without a means of protecting it.

I want a friggin' cannon. Serious.
We have a bowling ball cannon at our club. If TSHTF I'm grabbin it! That sucker will take a house apart. Gimme yer stuff.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:43 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,885,013 times
Important to have not just guns...but the right guns
.223 Sniper rifle that has a group the size of a golf ball at 100yds
12 ga. Mossburg 500 with a group the size of a garage door at 75 yds
.223 Ruger mini 14 with multiple 30 round clips
Several semi auto hand guns.....including little North American pocket gun.
Right tool for the right job.
Able to defend yourself from any distance with accuracy or overwhelming fire power

Old 04-17-2016, 05:19 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,450,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Important to have not just guns...but the right guns
.223 Sniper rifle that has a group the size of a golf ball at 100yds
12 ga. Mossburg 500 with a group the size of a garage door at 75 yds
.223 Ruger mini 14 with multiple 30 round clips
Several semi auto hand guns.....including little North American pocket gun.
Right tool for the right job.
Able to defend yourself from any distance with accuracy or overwhelming fire power
Meh. You're only going to use one. You're least likely to miss with the shotgun. A Mossberg 500 is cheap, too.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:54 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
But, but, but... Guns are Bad. Only the police should have guns. The government will protect us, that's why there is FEMA. They won't let anything bad happen, you know like riots and stuff. Only paranoid people have guns. And what about the Children?

Luckily as my gun store owner friend told me, I don't have a gun collection.

I have an arsenal!

in some states, 2 firearms and 200 cartridges equals having an arsenal.

I look at it this way. anyone who preps and does not also prep for their own self defense survival, will only last as long as it takes for the 1st armed person to come onto their property and steal what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness