Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:53 PM

13,111 posts, read 20,856,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
If there's a super massive storm headed our way, won't everyone be warned to shut things down?
Yes, but will they heed the advice?

You know little Suzy is still going to try and text Betty. Fred is still going to be looking up who is tweeting who. Chad is still going to try and get that last poker bet in on-line. And, those who do turn off their devices probably didn't know they need to protect the devices (even if it's just putting it in to an unplugged microwave oven of aluminium insulted wine bag. The big operations like utilities and communications will act (if they already don't have safeguards in place) but the average Jane and Joe may not understand the seriousness of the event.

Fearing these events and talking about how mankind will die or urban dwellers will turn into raging hordes of looters is worthless dribble in the world of preparedness. What matters is what to do. I bet many people (even some preppers) have no idea that a standard vehicle can be protected from most electromagnetic pulse through the most basic principal of grounding. The tires are insulating the vehicle from the ground which means any electrical buildup only has the vehicle's metallic components to absorb the electricity. By just placing a grounding rod in the earth and attaching a grounding cable from the vehicle to that rod, you most likely will protect the vehicle from all but the most severe pulses. None of the solar events that have occurred since recorded history would damage a modern vehicle that was grounded. There may be some super solar event that fries the world, but at that point, super heated blood in veins may be a bigger concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:07 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

The big operations like utilities and communications will act (if they already don't have safeguards in place) but the average Jane and Joe may not understand the seriousness of the event.

So, it seems the first riots to take place will likely be Jane and Joe Average, upset about the loss of their I toys and droids, because the big operations are still up and running, and they're not.

The big operations will make tons of money from all those that have to replace their toys.......

CN.......

Old 04-21-2016, 10:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
In 1859 we didn't have satellites that could tell us what was happening on the surface of the sun and providing results in a few minutes.

which will not do a bit of good when it slams into the planet earth.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:

You know little Suzy is still going to try and text Betty. Fred is still going to be looking up who is tweeting who. Chad is still going to try and get that last poker bet in on-line. And, those who do turn off their devices probably didn't know they need to protect the devices (even if it's just putting it in to an unplugged microwave oven of aluminium insulted wine bag. The big operations like utilities and communications will act (if they already don't have safeguards in place) but the average Jane and Joe may not understand the seriousness of the event.

Fearing these events and talking about how mankind will die or urban dwellers will turn into raging hordes of looters is worthless dribble in the world of preparedness. What matters is what to do. I bet many people (even some preppers) have no idea that a standard vehicle can be protected from most electromagnetic pulse through the most basic principal of grounding. The tires are insulating the vehicle from the ground which means any electrical buildup only has the vehicle's metallic components to absorb the electricity. By just placing a grounding rod in the earth and attaching a grounding cable from the vehicle to that rod, you most likely will protect the vehicle from all but the most severe pulses. None of the solar events that have occurred since recorded history would damage a modern vehicle that was grounded. There may be some super solar event that fries the world, but at that point, super heated blood in veins may be a bigger concern.

power plants are less protected than you would think. I worked at a nuke plant for 13 years, and if it was not mandated by the government, then there is very little chance that they will have it. the nuke plant I worked at did not have any plans in place to protect itself from any solar flares or any kind of emp event.

if a Carrington Event of the scale of 1959 happened, then they would most likely be shutting down for good.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:35 PM

679 posts, read 809,672 times
I don't think anyone can really say they are prepared to go from a 21st century lifestyle to a 19th century one. Most people would be dead in a couple years.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:40 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,602,681 times
I'd say most casualties would be within the first 6 months, not couple of years. It'll be an incredibly steep learning curve, and anyone who can't keep up dies fast. Most people who learn quickly enough to last the first year are probably going to just get better at it, and their chances are good IMO.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:52 AM

7,181 posts, read 5,033,283 times
Quote:

...a standard vehicle can be protected from most electromagnetic pulse through the most basic principal of grounding. The tires are insulating the vehicle from the ground which means any electrical buildup only has the vehicle's metallic components to absorb the electricity. .
False.

A car's metal frame diverts most of a charge such as a nearby lightning strike around the frame rather than straight thru the vehicle. The net charge on the inside of the cage is zero, but the total charge is not zero. You can still use a cell phone inside your car, so some EM radiation obviously still gets thru.

A computer chip works by organizing, so to speak, electric charges as information that can be recalled when needed. Even one stray charged particle from a storm will "reorganize" the chip and change its info, probably making it useless.

Passing a flow of charged particles thru a wire coil will generate an electric current, so electric motors (like the car starter) or generators (like car alternators or power stations) and transformers (like on the power pole outside your house) will suddenly and for a prolonged period (the duration of the solar storm) will be generating current uncontrollably and likely short themselves out.

So, even if you have an EM-proof Faraday Cage for your cell phone, the transmission towers will have been fried. Walkie-talkies or Ham radios that have been protected will be the only long range communication devices that will retain usefullness.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:04 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,602,968 times
I'm not going to sit and worry about something that may happen. I Don't have time for that...

Old 04-22-2016, 08:20 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,170,294 times
Quote:
Disclaimer - I didn't read the article.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.
A Carrington event is a massive solar storm/CME.
We have satellites watching the sun and it sees these events (at the speed of light).
A solar storm pushes its "stuff" towards earth at about 1 million MPH. That means we have a few days warning.
If there's a super massive storm headed our way, won't everyone be warned to shut things down?
Well, geez, now you've gone and taken all the fun out of imagining total and unexpected armageddon destroying cities and leaving the bunker types to inherit the Earth.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,170,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I'm not going to sit and worry about something that may happen. I Don't have time for that...
Agreed. FTR, such a storm would hit one part of the world, not the entire world, much like an earthquake doesn't devastate the entire globe, and those closest to the strike would be most affected. That's not to say there wouldn't be some global consequences, but geez, get a grip folks and use some common sense. It's not going to usher in the apocalypse, although I know some are probably hoping for just that ...

Another pertinent point: there actually was such a storm within the last 30 years ... and nothing happened because it just missed the Earth because of where it crossed the Earth's orbit. So, since these things happen like every 100-150 years or whatever, it's highly unlikely that another one will even come close to the Earth in most C-D posters' lifetimes.

It seems to me that maybe preparing for something that could conceivably actually happen, like a tornado or an earthquake or a wildfire or a flood, would make more sense than worrying about a Carrington event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness