Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:20 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Good point. Me too.
I know one or two people who are so addicted to coffee, without it they are "manic"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 11:33 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I know one or two people who are so addicted to coffee, without it they are "manic"..
In the new order they will be replaced Glory too the new world order

Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
It isn't a question of COMPETENCE. It's a question of how people will COPE without their drug of choice, electronic or otherwise.
Quote:
some people only read what they want to read. its to do with agendas.
No, I read it how it is. I read the agenda of the original post about phones was. I really do not use a phone much so I do not care.

But I see dismissing people as being "addicted" to phones a subtle dig at those who are tech savvy and trying to make a point that they are less able to take care of themselves.

I think the vast majority of people would get over phones really fast in a SHTF situation. Thinking they won't is more to do with trying to feel better about your choices than it is about the people using the phones.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:03 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I have a landline, does that count?
That depends... do you use to call your cell so you can locate your cell phone, and then continue with this "number one" addiction? Now that you've mentioned it though, I've known and observed folks who were tethered to their landlines. Woe is the person that had to pay those phone bills!

Old 05-06-2016, 12:32 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
But I see dismissing people as being "addicted" to phones a subtle dig at those who are tech savvy and trying to make a point that they are less able to take care of themselves..
We here are all tech savvy, if you consider being able to navigate around the internet enough to find C-D, create a screen name, write posts, quote other posts, add links and leave reps, as being "tech savvy". Still a lot of folks out there who can't even do that much, and they are just as glued to their phones. Staring at a screen all day does not mean someone is tech savvy!

Judging by the responses to this thread -- which has taken off far more than I ever imagined it would -- it's clear that the original ideas expressed have resonated with very many people here on C-D, and they understand exactly the point I was making, while you don't seem to.

I am not dissing people who are tech savvy. Whatever axe you have to grind, please recall that this IS the SS&P forum, and not the Consumer Electronics forum! We here who hang out as regulars understand the importance of situational awareness and why preparedness-minded people feel it may be better not to get caught up in trivial distractions.

We tend to look at the world through that particular lens.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:02 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
tech savvy is great for now, but it wont do much good when all the systems are down and you cant access your bank account or the ATM and the fuel pumps in the filling station don't work.
tech savvy wont put food on the table or find fresh drinking water.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:12 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Well, in a survival situation a cell phone might help.
Some of them you can pull the battery, short them out and start a fire, if you battery is charged anyway.

You could use the face as a reflector to signal for help.

Or tie them onto your fishing line as an anchor to weigh down the end you throw out in the river for a trot line... but a rock would be cheaper to find, have, and use for that purpose.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Well, in a survival situation a cell phone might help.
Some of them you can pull the battery, short them out and start a fire, if you battery is charged anyway.

You could use the face as a reflector to signal for help.

Or tie them onto your fishing line as an anchor to weigh down the end you throw out in the river for a trot line... but a rock would be cheaper to find, have, and use for that purpose.
Some really good survival uses for what might end up being a basically useless item!

Old 05-06-2016, 04:01 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
tech savvy is great for now, but it wont do much good when all the systems are down and you cant access your bank account or the ATM and the fuel pumps in the filling station don't work.
tech savvy wont put food on the table or find fresh drinking water.
Does every emergency require all the systems to be down? If they are down is it permanent?

There are a lot of emergencies where this will not happen.

Also in the initial stages of a SHTF emergency phones could be VERY useful. They could give you valuable time.

I thought this thread was going to be about addictions that you have that would hurt you in a SHTF situation. Not one you THINK will hurt others which is just pure self validation and chest thumping.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
I grew up without the internet and smart phones. I still have a landline phone.

I'm also into ham radio and have a box of hard copy fiction that I rotate in and out.

Yep, I think I'll be just fine. (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness