Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 11:51 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why are you posting on this forum if you have no concerns? This is the S-S & P Forum, not the Consumer Electronics forum.
Because it's here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 01:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
I've gone overboard with it at times, but overall, it's been a boon. Many of these are similar to 6.7traveler's post...

Work and employment...
-take calls from an employer, while I already have a job or looking for one
-take text messages from an employer -------
-leave and send voice mails to/from an employer
-Many of my employer's firewalls and network settings block certain sites. Checking on my phone (since it goes through my cell data instead), half of those sites have actually been useful (how to do certain things in Microsoft Office, other productivity and programming tools)
-GPS to find my way to an interview

General...
I've used many of the above in non-work situations too
-games
-digi-cam
-converters
-reference apps
-practice exams for a tech certification
-taking notes
-dating apps
-email
-flashlight app

Old 04-30-2016, 02:57 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've gone overboard with it at times, but overall, it's been a boon. Many of these are similar to 6.7traveler's post...
No one here ever debated the many uses of the phone, or the number of "apps" you can get for it.

What is at issue here is whether you could live a normal life without it; how much time you spend with your nose glued to it, whether you can find another way to do those things, whether it distracts you from your surroundings, interferes with your social connections (in person), or has become an addiction.

Only you can answer these questions. If you cannot live your life without that 'device' there to help you -- in essence, being a "nanny" to you -- then you are addicted to it.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:34 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
personally losing "technology" whether that is electricity, the internet, or a smartphone(which I don't have-just an old basic Nokia mobile phone) dosent bother me one bit, but there are many people who have told me via forums that they don't want to and will not be able to live without them in the event of SHTF.
step grandchildren are online and gaming 24/7 and that is the generation who wont be able to cope. and they will be the adults of the future.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:55 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
No one here ever debated the many uses of the phone, or the number of "apps" you can get for it.

What is at issue here is whether you could live a normal life without it; how much time you spend with your nose glued to it, whether you can find another way to do those things, whether it distracts you from your surroundings, interferes with your social connections (in person), or has become an addiction.

Only you can answer these questions. If you cannot live your life without that 'device' there to help you -- in essence, being a "nanny" to you -- then you are addicted to it.
Yes. For internet, I'll just check on my computer. I can watch TV on computer and TV. Movies on computer and TV.

However, I've always imagined that if I were alive any other time, I'd be distracted by other things anyways.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:46 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
I first started practicing medicine when "pagers"- simple devices that beeped to let you know you had to call the answering service for a message-- came into use. Then they "improved" (? was it someone I didn't want to talk to) by displaying a phone number to call. Then came cellphones, so we were in constant touch with the whole world.

I can't honestly say that any outcomes of medical situations actually improved by improving the immediacy of physician availability. But the profits of the service providers certainly improved.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:58 AM

some people seem to have missed the point, we are talking here about being addicted to your smart phone in a crisis when the systems will be in lockdown, not functioning and unavailable.
if you are one of those people(like my SIL) who must answer the phone as soon as it rings or when a message or text is received, in a survival situation you will have a problem, if you cant live without your phone they you probably wont, live that is

Old 05-01-2016, 07:49 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
I think that closely tied to this is
the addiction to Facebook....
So many people post every stupid thought,
along with numerous stupid pics & memes.....
That's a huge part of their addiction &
they're on the stupid phones doing it.....
So for those of us who don't do Facebook,
It's one less ridiculous distraction......

Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I think that closely tied to this is
the addiction to Facebook....
So many people post every stupid thought,
along with numerous stupid pics & memes.....
That's a huge part of their addiction &
they're on the stupid phones doing it.....
So for those of us who don't do Facebook,
It's one less ridiculous distraction......
That is a very good point!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:13 AM

even just one distraction could get you killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness