Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 06:42 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have seen many news articles about how our population is holding near flat. Young adults leave the regions seeking high-paying jobs, and older adults migrate back home. The end result is that our total populaiton holds steady.

Some journalists / authors spin this as a bad thing, others spin it as a good thing.

To me it says that we have a weak economy, low pay and low COL.

But how does this speak of the 'disaffected'? I have no idea.

It is heaven for low-income retirees and subsistence farmers.
What I've read is that Chittenden County has seen small increases that offset the small decreases in the rest of the State, keeping population flat as you say.

Many of the older folks moving into the State are fairly affluent. Some are moving into what had been their 2nd homes, all are coming for lifestyle. These folks are an important part of the rural & small town economies given the infusion of money they represent.

As you say it can be heaven too for low income retirees. Uncle Sugar will pick up the tab for their healthcare and the State will cover a major share of their property taxes, and with a graduated income tax rate they pay a low rate if they pay anything at all. Still, VT is a much more expensive place to live than going to the Southern States and so I doubt many would come here for a better economic deal.

We do seem to attract some young people who come for back to the land type lifestyles, and of course Chittenden County is a different kind of lifestyle draw where they can get modern economy type jobs.

Something I have noticed in the larger towns over the past couple years are more young family transplants from urban centers (NYC or Albany perhaps) that I assume are coming to VT for a safer place to raise their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:01 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
The "best" locations will never be named by people who have found them to be exactly what they want. They might tell their family but maybe not haha.

Nothing beats driving around and seeing a place first hand, getting a feel for it and seeing it in all seasons. We did that 8 years back. First talked about which states we'd consider after quickly discarding the idea of leaving the US.

Buy a used or new RV and take some time driving around this great country. If you still work you'll do it on vacations but if you're retired you've got all year, no rush. Worthwhile hobby.

We are not preppers (just want to be prepared) and going through an average hurricane in SW Florida was eye-opening seeing how ill-prepared the local government was. We knew that was not a good place to remain and moved.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:46 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
What I've read is that Chittenden County has seen small increases that offset the small decreases in the rest of the State, keeping population flat as you say.

Many of the older folks moving into the State are fairly affluent. Some are moving into what had been their 2nd homes, all are coming for lifestyle. These folks are an important part of the rural & small town economies given the infusion of money they represent.

As you say it can be heaven too for low income retirees. Uncle Sugar will pick up the tab for their healthcare and the State will cover a major share of their property taxes, and with a graduated income tax rate they pay a low rate if they pay anything at all. Still, VT is a much more expensive place to live than going to the Southern States and so I doubt many would come here for a better economic deal.

We do seem to attract some young people who come for back to the land type lifestyles, and of course Chittenden County is a different kind of lifestyle draw where they can get modern economy type jobs.

Something I have noticed in the larger towns over the past couple years are more young family transplants from urban centers (NYC or Albany perhaps) that I assume are coming to VT for a safer place to raise their kids.
What about New Hampshire? If I wanted to live in New England (I don't) probably NH would be my choice - the only significant tax is property tax, if you live in a modest home, you should be set.

I don't pretend to understand why, but NH tends to be a lot more conservative/libertarian to VT's liberal/libertarian. At least in my limited experience.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:19 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I am in Maine, where the population has been flat.

Quote:
... Many of the older folks moving into the State are fairly affluent. Some are moving into what had been their 2nd homes, all are coming for lifestyle. These folks are an important part of the rural & small town economies given the infusion of money they represent.
Tourism is our biggest industry. Wealthy tourists from out-of-state bring lots of money here.

Quote:
... As you say it can be heaven too for low income retirees. Uncle Sugar will pick up the tab for their healthcare and the State will cover a major share of their property taxes, and with a graduated income tax rate they pay a low rate if they pay anything at all. Still, VT is a much more expensive place to live than going to the Southern States and so I doubt many would come here for a better economic deal.
My pension includes healthcare, regardless of what state I retire to.

I do not get any state subsidy on my property taxes. Property taxes are pretty low here anyway.

I do not pay any income taxes, state or federal. This year they also decided to make many pensions exempt form taxes here.

Quote:
... We do seem to attract some young people who come for back to the land type lifestyles, and of course Chittenden County is a different kind of lifestyle draw where they can get modern economy type jobs.
I see some of that here too.

While the number of farms nationwide is in decline, the number of farms in Maine has been increasing every year. Farming in growing in Northern New England.

Quote:
... Something I have noticed in the larger towns over the past couple years are more young family transplants from urban centers (NYC or Albany perhaps) that I assume are coming to VT for a safer place to raise their kids.
I can see that.

The big draws here are low crime, low COL, low taxes, and low population-density.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:26 AM

450 posts, read 1,203,100 times
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Nah, you don't need to go to the Middle east. They're all coming here!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:37 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
While the number of farms nationwide is in decline, the number of farms in Maine has been increasing every year. Farming in growing in Northern New England.
So what?

Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
So what?
Biker53 said:
"We do seem to attract some young people who come for back to the land type lifestyles, ..."

We get some young people, and some older people up here too. Who come here for the 'back-to-the-land' lifestyles.

We easily see some of that happening here, just as Biker53 is saying about down South in Vt.

The low land / home prices, low COL, the rural nature of the culture and the near ideal climate for farming, all combine to make great conditions for 'Back-to-the-land' movement farmers.

The number of farms nationwide is in decline.

The number of farms in Maine has been increasing every year.

Farming in growing in Northern New England.

In a thread on "best relocation", it is easy to see that anyone who wants to be a farmer in the 'Back-to-the-land' lifestyle, with a low cost start-up, can relocate to a local culture where it is happening for lots of others.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:37 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
So what?
I see that you are your usual, cheerful self this morning!

Old 05-22-2016, 12:04 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Stop rubbing it in about how great Maine is. We get it that you can buy 80 pristine acres on a river for $30k and all your neighbors are small startup organic farmers, that there's so much farmland that you don't even need to buy any if you want to start out, that you can drill a 20 foot well and have unlimited water gushing out at 80gpm, that there's no crime whatsoever and it's like a northern Mayberry utopia if you ever happen to come across an actual town in between miles and miles of untouched forests. I've never been to maine, but you guys should be realtors or on the chamber of commerce or something by how great you make it sound.

Hopefully my sarcasm came across successfully, I do enjoy reading and learning about maine from you guys.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:20 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I've never been to maine.....
You need to come take a look, before you diss it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness