Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times

Advertisements

Don't know if this has ever been brought up, but since honey is the perfect food, I was wondering if any of you have it in your stores?
I also wonder how much more it will go up in cost due to the honey bee population crisis. Whew, it's expensive, but I can't live without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:35 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Honey bees are incredibly valuable as pollinators! They are a worthwhile hobby as well, and as you mention, the honey is a great-tasting side benefit.

We do have both honey and maple syrup (the real thing) in our stores of food.

I'm not sure that honey is "the perfect food", but it's a worthwhile addition. We use care with all sugary products, and limit our exposure to them. Even the "natural" sugars that I mentioned, can cause weight gain and diabetes, when eaten to excess. That would be my only concern with it.

Last edited by Nor'Eastah; 05-01-2016 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Honey bees are incredibly valuable as pollinators! They are a worthwhile hobby as well, and as you mention, the honey is a great-tasting side benefit.

We do have both honey and maple syrup (the real thing) in our stores of food.

I'm not sure that honey is "the perfect food", but it's a worthwhile addition. We use care with all sugary products, and limit our exposure to them. Even the "natural" sugars that I mentioned, can cause weight gain and disbetes, when eaten to excess. That would be my only concern with it.
Honey is also a natural anti-bacterial, so valuable as a medicinal product too.

I want to start some hives, still working on the bear problem......

Old 05-01-2016, 10:04 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
By saying 'perfect food' Nor'Eastah, I mean that of all food products on earth, honey is the only one you could eat 1 million years from now, with no chance of going bad.

I'd also like to start some bee hives. We have many honeybees that visit my wife's butterfly garden, but I've just not taken the time to start a colony. However, it is a goal of mine.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:09 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
honey is well known as a preppers staple food.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:05 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Actually, it's a pretty lousy source of nutrition, except as a source of sugar: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Honey although, as noted, it stores well.

I have mixed emotions about honey bees: they are, after all, an invasive species in N. Am and have displaced the native pollinators. Except for a few non-native nut trees, no food plant relies specifically on the honey bee and they do quite well with native pollinators.

OTOH- as a hobby, keeping hives has it's benefits for mental health and providing a sugary treat. The Roman poet Vergil and the fictional Sherlock Holmes both retired to the countryside to maintain bee hives as a hobby.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:28 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
It is amazing that honey bees have not been wiped out.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM

you better hope they never are, it is said if the bees die out, the human race will follow about 4 years later.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
you better hope they never are, it is said if the bees die out, the human race will follow about 4 years later.
You are better than this. When you phrase things this way it sounds like "Ancient Aliens". I do not disagree it would be a bad thing for humans but saying it that way sets off my scam alarm.

I read a book a while ago titled "A History of Food", translated from French to English. They had a section on honey. In that section they spoke of Charlemagne and how he regulated bees in his Kingdom. Very interesting book IMHO.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You are better than this. When you phrase things this way it sounds like "Ancient Aliens". I do not disagree it would be a bad thing for humans but saying it that way sets off my scam alarm.

I read a book a while ago titled "A History of Food", translated from French to English. They had a section on honey. In that section they spoke of Charlemagne and how he regulated bees in his Kingdom. Very interesting book IMHO.
nope, its all down to the chemicals that are being sprayed and some foreign parasites that have been imported, if the bees die out we will have nothing to pollinate our food crops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness