Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 04:32 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I had to rescue a friend from a snake. She called me to tell me that her dogs were going crazy. They had discovered a snake in her backyard. She wanted to know how to make it go away.

When I asked her why she wanted it to 'go away'; she said it was too beautiful to kill. When I got the description from her, it was a coral snake. (Red to yellow, kill a fellow; red to black, venom lack)

I suggested she get her hoe and kill it. Then I went over to her house. The dogs were inside; she was outside with the hoe. She was swinging the hoe back and forth over the snake. I took the hoe away from her and killed it. A coral snake in a subdivision full of dogs and kids is not a good idea.

She told me she just couldn't kill the snake. She said she was afraid of the snake and besides, she had never killed anything.

I wonder how many people would die in a SHTF situation because they couldn't kill. I wonder how many people would die because they were afraid.

I was raised on a farm, so I helped my Dad kill animals for food. I have seen people die, but of natural causes. I have never seen a person die violently, nor have I ever had any reason to try to kill anyone.

I have often wondered if I could kill a person. I tell myself that, in SHTF situation, I would be able to do what is necessary to care for my family and friends, but I still wonder . . . .

I also wonder how many people would die because they just couldn't cope with a new reality that required them to overcome fear and a reluctance to kill.
Where do you live ? I haven't seen a coral snake in...well NEVER seen one.. that I can recall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 04:38 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I was a child. I had to 'put down' any injured pets we had. If I hesitated I was beaten. I learned to kill my friends when I was 8 or 9.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:17 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Help yourself!

It was actually a pretty common term some years ago...I'm showing my age here. Probably some snowflakes don't know who Bambi was!
i know, only been shown a few seens of it though by my ole grandpa who would tell me that actual animals dont behave like that (in some wording of which i barley remember).

Closest ive seen the whole of it that Open Season movie which stereotypes hunting and hunters to the extreme. I think they claimed in the movie that there was 1 season when you could kill whatever you want in any quantities you can manage, which i have never heard of (i do know that a few animals in some states, or even most (i.e. Coyotes), can be hunted any time of the year when you can legally hunt with no limits)

Old 06-14-2016, 11:37 PM

7,647 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Oh, I forgot on my first post. (I didn't actually scream btw. ) I was working in FL and we were moving some pilings with a crane. I was standing at the end of the pile by the foreman. I felt a smack on my boot and looked down in time to see a snake head going into the piles.

The foreman said, "a snake just bit you."

"Yep, sure did."

He had the crane operator free spool the piling back onto the pile which shifted the pile. Later on we found about a 4-5' cottonmouth. A very flat one.

Thank goodness for heavy work boots.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:51 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I generally do not kill senselessly. I have removed snakes and other animals from residential areas and simply transported them elsewhere.

A sign at our local range says something along the lines of dont do that for a few reasons.

It moves them to unfamiliar territory

More likely to die coming back to their home territory

And it just moves the problem to someone else (who may indeed kill the animal your trying to save, meaning the animals dead, but you dont get the meat...)

Old 06-15-2016, 06:06 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Oh, I forgot on my first post. (I didn't actually scream btw. ) I was working in FL and we were moving some pilings with a crane. I was standing at the end of the pile by the foreman. I felt a smack on my boot and looked down in time to see a snake head going into the piles.

The foreman said, "a snake just bit you."

"Yep, sure did."

He had the crane operator free spool the piling back onto the pile which shifted the pile. Later on we found about a 4-5' cottonmouth. A very flat one.

Thank goodness for heavy work boots.
Last antelope season, I was waaaaaay out in the boonies. I got out of my truck to start walking over some property when I felt a tap on my shoe. There was a baby rattler about 8 inches long that had hit my shoe and was coiled and ready for war!

I used my cane to shoo him off as I was far away from where there were any people, and he was far too small to have enough meat to make a meal.

I told my father and some of his friends about it the next day and they were all amazed I didn't kill it. One even said that by letting it go I allowed it to hurt someone else, but I don't see it that way. The snake was many miles from any human habitation, and rattlers take care of pests like mice and prairie dogs that destroy a lot of property. That area of the state is infested with rattlers, so most people will kill them at any opportunity especially the little ones that can't control their venom release and a lot harder to see, so they're far more dangerous than the adults.

You don't have to kill just for the sake of killing, but for food or self defense, why hesitate? If that snake had been in an area where my nephews play, that would have been a dead snake. As it is, he's probably either a hawks dinner or he's still out there.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:09 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
A lot of women (and even some men) suffer from the "Bambi syndrome" -- they have watched so much Disney and other liberal Hollywood "feel-good" stories that they are now divorced from reality. These people are like children emotionally. They are so urbanized, and like MtS said, are so used to getting their meat in sterilized styrofoam packaging, that they just can't wrap their heads around the whole process.

Such is the case with people taking selfies with a bison right behind them & thinking that the animal won't attack. Another case is the alligator attacks people don't get it.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:29 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I would be one of the first to die in any sort of apocalypse - I am blind without my contacts and I don't know if I could kill an animal that wasn't trying to hurt me. People tell me if I was hungry enough I would but I doubt it. Besides there are plenty of other things to eat besides meat.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:55 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
[quote=Meemur;44403181]OP, you are a good friend!

Worse was the neighbor I had who had "pet" chickens and when one got sick, she wanted to take it to the vet. The hen was about seven years old at that point, and she wanted to borrow $125 to take it into the vet. I didn't lend her the money. I did offer to "take care of it" without explaining that I was planning to chop off its head, skin it, and toss it into my stew pot. The hen died about two days later, and she buried it with a complete funeral.

The remaining birds, also elderly, died over the course of that summer.

What's wrong with loving a chicken

I had two silky roosters that were my buddies and were very affectionate. They would run to me when I called them and they would give me chicken hugs when I picked them up. One lived with me for nine years and John had to "take care of it" for me after he had a stroke.

How can you kill something that was your friend for nine years? I can still see him in his little hat with one of his feathers sticking out and the cape I made him with the hands sticking out with the sword in one. It was adorable (and pretty funny too.) I couldn't kill that any more then I could kill another animal.

Give me a couple of lobsters and I'll kill them for you, better yet, I'll kill them for me. Yum. I can kill fish, but I don't like to.

There are other things to eat besides animals and think of how skinny you'll be. There's a big plus.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
You know what they say. " The meek will inherit the earth." This is mainly true because they wont put themselves in dangerous positions. People rarely die from starvation but that snake bite will do it right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness