Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:36 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
As long as you are well prepared, a city can be a good place to survive.

I would disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Problem is now days if you want high speed internet you need cable, which means civilization. I can't "survive" without 50 mbps.

I live in an isolated city (we call it a town, but I guess it's a city now) of 40,000. We have a shaky water supply and it gets too hot in the summer for most. Our in town house is in a walled community with only two ways in and off the main paths. We can survive short term in place, beyond that, or if things turned really bad we have a mountain stronghold about an hour away, reachable offroad by 4WD if necessary - with only one road in or out. And 2 pallets of ammo waiting.

Beyond that, we're screwed. My goal is grab the national guard tanks followed by the ammo dump in Hawthorne, NV were we can grab some nuks if nobody else gets there first.
There is no cable in our town. We survive just fine without 50 mbps.

It is interesting how you layout your 'survival needs', then you explain that your screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Idaho for sure, because $450k will buy you 160 acres with a nice house, barn and shop in Idaho.
160 acres, big house, barn, shop, off-grid solar, stable water supply, should never go over $300k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,867,657 times
First and foremost, decide what SHTF are you talking about... Zombies, natural disasters, major civil unrest, or something more prosaic as economic collapse?

In case of an country-wide economic collapse, it's nearly universally better to live in near suburbs of a big city (and none of those you mentioned are big enough for that matter). In other situations, your perspective might be different.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:50 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,284,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Hypothetically speaking......

You have to work for a certain company (99.9% from home) BUT MUST purchase a home in one of these 2 areas.

You have a $450k max budget and want to be as "safe" as relatively possible.

Do you pick between Mead, WA or Hayden, ID?

Why?

TIA
If I was in this hypothetical scenario where I worked 99.9% of the time from home, I'd pick neither location. I'd buy a really nice piece of land and a house somewhere more remote for less than $200k, then with the $250k+ I save on my mortgage, I'd buy a small plane or otherwise figure out how to get to my office the .01% of the time I was needed.

Better yet, I'd quit the job, buy a place for less than $100k, reduce my consumerist lifestyle and find a job that allows me to work 100% from home or support myself from the local economy.

I always pick geographical locations first, then jobs.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:20 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Hypothetically speaking......

You have to work for a certain company (99.9% from home) BUT MUST purchase a home in one of these 2 areas.

You have a $450k max budget and want to be as "safe" as relatively possible.

Do you pick between Mead, WA or Hayden, ID?

Why?

TIA

if I had to pick one of those two areas?

I would choose for my families safety and well being and choose another job that is not near a city.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I would disagree.

There is no cable in our town. We survive just fine without 50 mbps.

It is interesting how you layout your 'survival needs', then you explain that your screwed.

160 acres, big house, barn, shop, off-grid solar, stable water supply, should never go over $300k.
In Maine, maybe. In Meade, WA, $450,000 will buy you a house on 10 acres, no outbuildings.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
The OP doesn't state that he wishes to become a farmer or that he wishes a lower income. The best long term security is money invested wisely.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:11 PM

375 posts, read 606,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

Beyond that, we're screwed. My goal is grab the national guard tanks followed by the ammo dump in Hawthorne, NV were we can grab some nuks if nobody else gets there first.
Nix on the Nukes! The problem with them is that after you light the fuse, you can't run away fast enough. I'm with you on the internet though.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:42 PM

19,965 posts, read 30,111,427 times
id choose maine...

very sparse plenty of fish and wildlife to live off the land,,,

with 450k in maine,,,,you could buy a whole town...

Old 07-08-2016, 07:16 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,258,218 times
I love my own rural area, New York City. When the SHTF I'm gonna grow veggies in Central Park and eat rat burgers for protein. I'll then catch the occasional show on Broadway.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I love my own rural area, New York City. When the SHTF I'm gonna grow veggies in Central Park and eat rat burgers for protein. I'll then catch the occasional show on Broadway.
People need to reread the OP. It's concise and specific. The choices are Mead, Washington and Hayden, Idaho. However, we're getting the typical responses from the usual combination of sneering leftists and low income people who hate their betters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness