Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 11:10 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Look into Nova Scotia or Labrador. Get land into which you can build an earth-sheltered home. That will cut down on fuel consumption during winter dramatically.
I concur that reducing fuel consumption is VITAL.
In addition to earth-sheltered construction, look into super insulation (far beyond code minimums). Superinsulation allows more flexibility in design and placement. And can even match the performance of a dome (hemisphere), by simply adding 33% more (than the dome has).

Unfortunately, high performing insulation is also $$$expensive$$$.
(How it costs so much for "dead air" is puzzling)

My personal favorite is concrete sandwich construction : concrete shell + insulation + concrete shell. Four inches of concrete have been shown to be sufficient to stop a 90mph 2 x 4 x 8 stud (documented in various studies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 12:09 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
My brother and I spent the weekend looking at some NH land in the woods. We both agree that having another bug-out location nearby our Maine home would be an asset. It's only accessible by quad, so we do not expect to see the Golden Horde up there any time soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Look into Nova Scotia or Labrador. Get land into which you can build an earth-sheltered home. That will cut down on fuel consumption during winter dramatically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
In addition to earth-sheltered construction, look into super insulation (far beyond code minimums). Superinsulation allows more flexibility in design and placement. And can even match the performance of a dome (hemisphere), by simply adding 33% more (than the dome has).

My personal favorite is concrete sandwich construction : concrete shell + insulation + concrete shell. Four inches of concrete have been shown to be sufficient to stop a 90mph 2 x 4 x 8 stud (documented in various studies).
Sheesh, guys.....we're just lookin' to set up a little hunting camp!

Old 08-18-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Sheesh, guys.....we're just lookin' to set up a little hunting camp!
I get it - OPSEC - wink, wink, nod, nod - just a little hunting camp.
Move along. Nothing to see here.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
I get it - OPSEC - wink, wink, nod, nod - just a little hunting camp.
Move along. Nothing to see here.
This place is only accessiblw by quad. We have to park our trucks out by the road. BTW, we bought the place, and will close by end of month. Already been out there with saws, widening the road. Those trees will make good corduroy for the access road.

Some day, we may actually be able to drive to it by truck! Just wooded land, no buildings (yet). Only neighbors are moose, white tail, turkey, duck, partridige (grouse), Canada geese, loons, coyote, beaver and tons of fish. Lookin' for another small trailer boat for the lake out there!

Any red-blooded American male who wouldn't like this place, has been in the city too long!

Old 08-18-2016, 07:50 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:

The house I will start next year will use a kind of sandwich construction. Cinder block for the inside walls filled with foam, sandwich a layer of insulation on the exterior, then a stone wall for the exterior finish. The wall will be roughly 20 inches to 2 feet thick. The problem with super insulation though is air stagnation.
If you seal too tightly, air can't pass easily when the house is shut down in the winter. I will take care of that with a couple heat exchangers bringing in air from the outside without an appreciable heat loss.

The site is several miles from a small town of around 1200, and about 80 miles from the nearest town of 30,000, so it's fairly remote as well.

Nor'Eastah, that place of yours sounds like a real slice of paradise!!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,890,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Black cop defends himself against a black felon pointing a stolen firearm at him. Black community response is to riot, loot and beat up any white person they see. Between Obama, Holder and Sharpton, race relations have been set back 60 years. Nice going, guys.
And black senator representing the state takes side with the felons rather than with the cops in her public statement available at her public page... Unbelievable.

"The fractured relationship between local law enforcement officials and the communities they are sworn to protect has become further strained by Saturday’s officer-involved shooting. There is still much to learn regarding this incident, however, we simply cannot close our eyes to the hostile environment cultivated by the flagrant racial inequality and segregation that has plagued Milwaukee for generations. "
Gwen Moore

Old 08-18-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
. The problem with super insulation though is air stagnation.
Actually, that's a problem associated with super TIGHTNESS, regardless of the insulation value.
Remedy: Air to air heat exchanger.
Ex: Mitsubishi Energy Recovery Ventilation.
Mitsubishi Electric Sales Canada Inc. - Fresh Air Ventilation
. . . . .
However, a common excuse for not installing superinsulation is the window leakage. Architects argue that why build a superinsulated wall, where 98% of heat flow is through windows. I would counter : install insulated shutters on the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness