Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 03:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times

Advertisements

The Louisiana floods are a good example of why weather prepping is such a good idea. 10 people died. Tens of thousands of people are running out of supplies. Over 30,000 people had to be rescued because they didn't own a freaking BOAT! You can buy 3-person inflatable rubber rafts for $129. If you have more guns and ammo than you can pack in a rubber raft, you are SOL. I wonder how many worthless TEOTWAWKI preppers got their feet wet?

Prep for the disaster that's going to happen, friends, not a bunch of Hollywood special effects fantasies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 04:08 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
There's nothing wrong with preparing for the weather. At least that's something. I don't know anything about Hollywood special effects fantasies. We watch no TV, and don't waste much time on movies, either. So I'm kinda out of that loop. I'm not sure what a zombie is.

But I know what a pandemic is, and what a banking holiday is, what gas rationing is, what a chemical spill is and what 2 weeks without power looks like. My issue is with those who have a 72-hour food supply a la FEMA, and nothing else. As I said, at least that's something. If you want to depend on the gubmint to come and save you, just come out and say so.

I don't know a single person who preps for non-weather emergencies, who would also not be well set for any type of weather event. That's what this sub-forum is about, and it was set up for us. Stop trying to change us. And if you have a problem with guns and ammo, perhaps this place is not for you.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:50 PM

You must not know the bunker bums I know, with over $20,000 worth of guns and ammo, but no gravity feed water system or solar hot water. Their idea of prepping is cases of MREs and a bunch of ammo. Morons.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You must not know the bunker bums I know, with over $20,000 worth of guns and ammo, but no gravity feed water system or solar hot water. Their idea of prepping is cases of MREs and a bunch of ammo. Morons.
That's 20k of somethiing you don't have.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's 20k of somethiing you don't have.
That's $20k I didn't spend on worthless crap. All you really need are a large bore rifle, a .22 and a shotgun, hot and cold running water that doesn't require electricity, heat that doesn't require external fuel, a well stocked pantry, and a realistic assessment of the risks in your locale that does not depend on EOTW nut cases for information.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:43 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
That's $20k I didn't spend on worthless crap. All you really need are a large bore rifle, a .22 and a shotgun, hot and cold running water that doesn't require electricity, heat that doesn't require external fuel, a well stocked pantry, and a realistic assessment of the risks in your locale that does not depend on EOTW nut cases for information.
But how are you going to hold off the hordes of ravaging zombie city dwellers with their FEMA yellow blanket and single Red Cross bottle of water, who for some miraculous reason managed to flee the city, travel through cities, towns, villages, farms and meadows to descend straight onto that secret prepper hiddyhole located 50 million gazillion miles from where people are? Good god man, they need all that because despite all their blabbering about how well they can hide, somehow government black op helicopters will still find them and confiscate their stash of lima beans and raw goat milk just to give to the mobs of (dare i say minorities) all hold up in FEMA death camps awaiting their turn to be placed in those secret stashed of black plastic coffins.

Weather prepping is sensible prepping. The difference is that these "weather preppers" need to think through the rational reality of what will happen. They can't pretend away a need. They can't adjust outside forces to meet their fantasy. They can't alter the scenario midstream when it's on the six o'clock news. Bottom line is they will be in situations where their planning and preparations are put to the test. The fantasy preppers never have to get it right because its based on just what they want to role play about. They make up what will happen, why it will happen and what the outcome is. They never have to prove anything or even be based on common sense. Often the more bizarre the prepping the more powerful they feel. Any shortfalls in their plans are just sidestepped like all children dress up games. And of course, there is never any concrete examination of their plans because; oh yeah, OPSEC.

Weather prepping isn't accepted by these so-called real preppers because it's real, in your face practical. Can you imagine these people attempting to discuss real practical emergency planning and preparation? Take away their role playing, pretending, and fantasy ability and what do they have to offer? Nothing! That is why they don't like us posting on this forum.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
But how are you going to hold off the hordes of ravaging zombie city dwellers with their FEMA yellow blanket and single Red Cross bottle of water, who for some miraculous reason managed to flee the city, travel through cities, towns, villages, farms and meadows to descend straight onto that secret prepper hiddyhole located 50 million gazillion miles from where people are? Good god man, they need all that because despite all their blabbering about how well they can hide, somehow government black op helicopters will still find them and confiscate their stash of lima beans and raw goat milk just to give to the mobs of (dare i say minorities) all hold up in FEMA death camps awaiting their turn to be placed in those secret stashed of black plastic coffins.

Weather prepping is sensible prepping. The difference is that these "weather preppers" need to think through the rational reality of what will happen. They can't pretend away a need. They can't adjust outside forces to meet their fantasy. They can't alter the scenario midstream when it's on the six o'clock news. Bottom line is they will be in situations where their planning and preparations are put to the test. The fantasy preppers never have to get it right because its based on just what they want to role play about. They make up what will happen, why it will happen and what the outcome is. They never have to prove anything or even be based on common sense. Often the more bizarre the prepping the more powerful they feel. Any shortfalls in their plans are just sidestepped like all children dress up games. And of course, there is never any concrete examination of their plans because; oh yeah, OPSEC.

Weather prepping isn't accepted by these so-called real preppers because it's real, in your face practical. Can you imagine these people attempting to discuss real practical emergency planning and preparation? Take away their role playing, pretending, and fantasy ability and what do they have to offer? Nothing! That is why they don't like us posting on this forum.
Quote:
Guns don't drop in value. This is still another example of the have-nots' exhibiting their jealous hatred of those who have more than they do.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:49 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Guns don't drop in value. This is still another example of the have-nots' exhibiting their jealous hatred of those who have more than they do.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Ah. You buy them to get rid of them. Check. I still think you would do better to spend the money on tools. Do you own a forge? Do you even know what a parting hammer is? Take away your high tech toys and you are helpless.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

"Fantasy Preppers." That's a nice term. It's less pejorative than "Bunker Bums," while pointing out that they wouldn't know reality if it hit them in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness