Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

As in Wise brand or Mountain House, & other dehyrated vs bulk food buys in storage for at home? I can get huge rice & beans stored buckets, & other foods as such, but wondered if more balance is in pre-made buckets? I know cost hurts & so I'm cheap, haha, thus go w/ own preps but wondering what you all do?

Water is 1st thing needed tho many forget it. Then food for a yr stored to help others in need too, then come self-D weapons as in home D & pers. carry. Then lastly, gold & silver or bitcoins? Maybe... But w/out food & h2o & home D to protect assets -- we ain't goin' nowhere, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 11:52 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
While we do have some Mountain House put aside, we don't depend on that stuff. Much cheaper and easier to just go to the supermarket or Costco and buy 50 lb sacks of rice, oats, corn, beans, peas, etc, plus your salt and sugar. We also buy some wheat and dry milk, though I cannot tolerate either.

Now, after several years of growing and canning, we have enough meats (we can those also), veggies and fruits to last almost 2 years, and I'd rather eat our own home-grown than to depend on Mountain House, as we can keep growing and raisng meat indefinitely, at 3 different places, so not worried about losing any.

I think it's more important to become self-sufficient as quickly as possible, than to stock up on somebody else's brand name. Just takes a little time, but worth it.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:58 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Again I must agree. Been leaning toward making my own but shortcutted it, thinking to backup w/ this in case on the road or needing to bugout, etc. Maybe a bit of theirs & the rest ours would be a good balance.

Thx Nor, as is the rule rather than the exception. Haha, I finally repped you today too.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:14 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Number one priority in prepping is food and water. Everything else comes later.

Prepackage food is fine for the none educated (it's better then nothing), but I have learned to only store food that I eat on a regular basis. I rotate my stocks so that no food is more then 5 years old. I can't think of a worse scenario then to have a SHFT and pop open some prepackage food and find that you couldn't stand to eat it.

The other problem is that the purchase of prepackaged food causes a paper trail that leads to your door. The UPS guy, shipper, manufacture, charge card company, government, and nefarious people that hack into the systems know what you are doing. If you are buying large quantities of survival food then more then likely you have other valuable supplies that would be attractive to criminals.

Every time I go the store I buy 10-20% more then what I need for that week. The extra gets stored.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We put up a lot of foods from a wide variety of sources. Some is home grown, some is foraged, some is bartered from neighbors, and a small portion of store bought

Dehydrating, salt/corning, lacto-fermentation, pickling, freezing, hot-water-bath canning, pressure-canning, are all good methods for long-term food preservation.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Before you buy some Wise or Mountain House in any bulk, get some of their sampler sizes (1-2 servings). You can buy these little packages at places like Wal-Mart.

First, you want to know which products you can/will eat. Some taste terrible (e.g. MH Eggs with bacon. I made some that nobody could choke down so I gave them to the dog. The dog wouldn't eat them either).

Second, see how your gut feels. It's food your body isn't used to eating. Did you get indigestion?

Lastly, see what it does to your digestive track? Did you get constipated? Diarrhea?

You don't want to buy in bulk to find you need to double your Tums and toilet paper caches.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:54 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The other problem is that the purchase of prepackaged food causes a paper trail that leads to your door. The UPS guy, shipper, manufacture, charge card company, government, and nefarious people that hack into the systems know what you are doing.
I would hope by now that savvy preppers and survivalists know better than to have preparedness supplies delivered to their homes! When you are getting ready to put in orders to be shipped, rent a box at a UPS store, which accepts parcels from all major carriers. You can go pick up at your convenience, just using your box key. The notice of a package will be in the box. It doesn't cost a fortune to do this.

C'mon people, get smart. Stop having stuff delivered to your house. CC and debit card purchases can be delivered anywhere, as long as they have your billing addess correct, all is golden. If somebody "hacks" your info, the shipping of supplies will be the least of your problems! (E.g., won't happen).

Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM

125 posts, read 114,170 times
You guys are really fancy lol..
Beans and rice man, have about 100 lbs of each in your storage, you will be fed for a long long time.
Oh, and honey, store a lot of honey. (real honey, not the fake teddy bear junk)
As for meat dry some, but you will get meat as you can hunt and veggies as you can grow. The honey will sustain you if you can't grow veggies or hunt meat..

Old 09-20-2016, 12:11 AM

671 posts, read 853,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
You guys are really fancy lol..
Beans and rice man, have about 100 lbs of each in your storage, you will be fed for a long long time.
Oh, and honey, store a lot of honey. (real honey, not the fake teddy bear junk)
As for meat dry some, but you will get meat as you can hunt and veggies as you can grow. The honey will sustain you if you can't grow veggies or hunt meat..
Honey is delicious and natural but please extol the virtues that make it so good for survival.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:19 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Honey is delicious and natural but please extol the virtues that make it so good for survival.
Honey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey
Most microorganisms do not grow in honey so sealed honey does not spoil, even after thousands of years.
Honey contains trace amount of compounds implicated in preliminary studies to have wound healing properties, such as hydrogen peroxide and methylglyoxal.
There is ongoing research into medical uses for honey, particularly in the face of antimicrobial resistance to modern antibiotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness