Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times

Advertisements

I thought I would post this in this section since a lot of us on here spend a decent amount of time outdoors and probably wear a variety of boots as a result.

Boots are my weakness, I can't get enough of them. I have xtratuff rain boots (for pure waterproofing) , bunny boots (for extreme cold weather and the best arctic survival boot there is), bog boots (for waterproofing and warmth), mukluks (for cold and dry conditions), and a various assortment of hiking boots. I'm in the market for a new pair and wanted to see if anybody on here had some good recommendations. Preferably one that I could order online.

What I'm mainly looking for this time around is a front lace up rugged pair of taller boots, at least 10 inches tall, but preferably knee high. Any knee high lace up boot fans out there? How about "packer" boots? I came across them in my search but they look like they have quite a tall heel to them so I don't know if they are for me. I want them to be rugged, of high quality, and last a long time. Looking cool doesn't hurt either .

What is you favorite "go to" pair of boots? Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 11:23 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
A couple years ago, one of our daughters gifted me with a pair of Hunter rubber boots. These are the things they call "green wellies", but mine are brown. I never wear boots higher than 6-8" as I don't like anything tight around my ankles (had both knees replaced awhile back). She figured they'd be good to wear while tending the poultry cages.

Well, they sat and sat...a shame, really, as they're really nice, thick, flexible rubber with a non-slip sole. This year, we're raising 4 pigs. The wife was complaining that my workpants were "gross" down near the ankles...they stank, like the pigs!

So I took out the wellies things, which I now keep in the feed shed for working with the pigs. I was surprised. These boots don't bother my ankles at all! So, they're now being used after all, and I highly recommend!

Old 09-26-2016, 12:51 AM

Thanks, I have never heard of that brand and had to google them. The Alaska version of that kind of boot is the "xtratuff" and is nice because it's tight around your leg, although hard to get on and off. I have the waterproof/muck boots covered though, I was thinking something more along the lines of this 16 inch lace up boot from ll bean. I'm tempted to try it. It has good reviews and seems like a reputable company.
L.L.Bean--Free Shipping,100%Guaranteed.Ranked"Highest Customer Satisfaction among Online Apparel Retailers"by J.D.Power and Associate

Being from maine, can you testify to it's durability?

ETA: just noticed it has free shipping. I wonder if that includes alaska?

Old 09-26-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Being from maine, can you testify to it's durability?
Like any other company brand, the footwear sold by LL Bean can vary in quality. I've received stuff from them that I couldn't even put on, and so has my wife.

Not so with the "Bean boots" though. They're over the top, and guaranteed for life. They are Bean's flagship product, the first item ever produced by the company. If at any time the soles wear out, you can send 'em back to be resoled (for a reasonable fee). But for problems with stitching, leather fatigue/tearing, or rubber cracking, Bean will stand behind it's product. That stuff just never happens.

I've been wearing Bean boots for 40 years, and I know I haven't worn more than a half dozen pair in that time. My present ones (8") I've had since before I retired 4 years ago. In deep snow, I just wear gaiters over them, that go nearly to my knees. All winter long, it's Carhartt insulated bibs, Bean boots, and gailters.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:54 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,004 times
I always wore Wolverine lace up boots during my time as a drywall taper. I had a pair or two of Red Wings but always went back to Wolverines.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:28 AM

^Thanks, those wolverines look like some pretty serious workboots, but I could only find them in 8" and not exactly what I'm looking for.

After a decent amount of research, I'm pretty set on ordering these 16" ll bean lace up "maine hunting shoe" boots and trying them out for my next pair. Supposedly a flexible soft waterproof bottom with a moccasin type feel. They are also handmade in the USA with a 100% money back guarantee and free shipping which I like.

I'm hoping with a thick wool sock I'll be able to wear them comfortably down to -10 below or so. Anything colder and I'll bust out the bunny boots, which are a must have for any survivalist in cold country .

Old 10-05-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
After a decent amount of research, I'm pretty set on ordering these 16" ll bean lace up "maine hunting shoe" boots and trying them out for my next pair. Supposedly a flexible soft waterproof bottom with a moccasin type feel. They are also handmade in the USA with a 100% money back guarantee and free shipping which I like.

I'm hoping with a thick wool sock I'll be able to wear them comfortably down to -10 below or so. Anything colder and I'll bust out the bunny boots, which are a must have for any survivalist in cold country .
You won't go wrong with the Bean boots, which were originally made for hunters.

I don't know that they have a "mocassin feel", as they are rubber on the bottom. They are easy to walk in. The leather uppers will lose their water repellency unless treated with SnoSeal or similar. As for heavy wool socks, better try them together before wearing outdoors; Bean will replace the boot for a different size if it is still new. Once obviously worn, they probably won't.

Good luck, and enjoy those new boots!

Old 10-05-2016, 07:23 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Schnee's in Bozeman Montana makes an outstanding knee-high called the outfitter boot.
SCHNEE Outfitter II T/T pac boots

Little spendy for me, but very top of the line. My brother wears them and won't consider anything else for backcountry use.
They are made in Bozeman, and designed so they will work with stirrups when riding horses.
I have a pair of knee-high all leather lace up boots that have 2000 grams of thinsulate that I wear for hunting or working when the mercury is way below zero. Heavy, but they keep my feet toasty when wading through the deep stuff. Very deep lug soles, excellent traction, but load up in clay mud.
Not sure what brand they are as I bought them at a thrift store for $10.00. (what can I say, I'm cheap )

Might be worth it for you to take a look at Schnee's, just for comparison.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Schnee's in Bozeman Montana makes an outstanding knee-high called the outfitter boot.
SCHNEE Outfitter II T/T pac boots
Those are really nice!

...But like you, I'm too cheap!

Old 10-08-2016, 08:17 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
I have a very high quality pair of just over the calf 1870s style cavalry boots that I just love. Wax flesh leather, of very durable make. The only thing is, as currently soled, they suck for a lot of walking. I'm looking into taking care of that. They are the best riding boots I've ever seen or had. Of course, that was what they were designed for. But, I think my boot guy can balance them out a bit better.

Oh, they were custom made by an outfit called Missouri Boot and Shoe. One of their specialties is supplying quality footgear for reenactors and such. They weren't cheap, but, what are your feet worth? If you can't stand, or ride, survival can be...problematic. I kinda figured boots like these kept a lot of guys in the fight,, in about as harsh a conditions as could be had. If it worked then, it'll work now, especially with modern technology helping things out.

Last edited by NVplumber; 10-08-2016 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness