Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 06:38 AM

139 posts, read 136,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
You can always trust what the government tells you!
I don't trust everything the government tells me and I sure in the hell don't believe everything I read on internet forums. However I do remember right after the Fukashima disaster that potassium iodide pills suddenly became nearly impossible to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Since that Interstate continues to slide off the side of the mountain I sure wouldn't trust the Bobby Hopper
I can't speak for the structural integrity but there is enough rock and concrete there I don't see why it wouldn't stop a ton of radiation.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:58 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Argh, are you serious? Details, please!

They continue, from time to time, to have to repair the Interstate (Ft Smith to Fayetteville, whatever it's number is) where it's shoulder has slumped off.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:28 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
They continue, from time to time, to have to repair the Interstate (Ft Smith to Fayetteville, whatever it's number is) where it's shoulder has slumped off.
It's I-49. I was just on it today and I did see a lot of crumbled asphalt on the shoulder in the vicinity of the Hopper tunnel.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:16 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
This is an interesting thread. The tunnel wouldn't be good because of all the car exhaust trapped inside. Remember if a nuke was detonated, it would be an air burst, and all electricity would be gone. Now if you could break into the control room with a lifetime of supplies, maybe.

There's an on Jason Robarts movie called The Day After, OP should watch it.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
This is an interesting thread. The tunnel wouldn't be good because of all the car exhaust trapped inside. Remember if a nuke was detonated, it would be an air burst, and all electricity would be gone. Now if you could break into the control room with a lifetime of supplies, maybe.

There's an on Jason Robarts movie called The Day After, OP should watch it.
Thanks, I'll try to watch it if I ever get time.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:39 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
I'd honestly be more concerned with that rickety nuclear plant in Russellville than I would any potential nuclear attack. That plant is constantly being scrutanized for poor safety records and measures according to the research I've done.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:46 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
We're far more likely to get hit by fallout from foreign countries than by nuclear war against the USA. From a war between Iran and Israel, or whatever. The fallout travels in the atmosphere in the directions of the winds, until it eventually covers the whole planet. Such a nuclear war would be very big, because each country would be desperately trying to destroy all the nuclear weapons and other weapons of the other country, before those weapons could be used against them. Since nuclear weapons tend to be hidden in mountains, it's hard to destroy them, even with other nuclear weapons. For that reason, it's likely a country would detonate 100% of its nuclear weapons the first day of such a war, in a desperate attempt to destroy those mountains and weapons. The fallout could be a million times any fallout the planet has ever known before. It's likely there won't be any survivors on the planet a month or two later. They can't stay in their fallout shelters forever. How likely is it there are any fallout shelters with good supplies, having been neglected since the 1950's?

Old 11-01-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
We're far more likely to get hit by fallout from foreign countries than by nuclear war against the USA. From a war between Iran and Israel, or whatever. The fallout travels in the atmosphere in the directions of the winds, until it eventually covers the whole planet. Such a nuclear war would be very big, because each country would be desperately trying to destroy all the nuclear weapons and other weapons of the other country, before those weapons could be used against them. Since nuclear weapons tend to be hidden in mountains, it's hard to destroy them, even with other nuclear weapons. For that reason, it's likely a country would detonate 100% of its nuclear weapons the first day of such a war, in a desperate attempt to destroy those mountains and weapons. The fallout could be a million times any fallout the planet has ever known before. It's likely there won't be any survivors on the planet a month or two later. They can't stay in their fallout shelters forever. How likely is it there are any fallout shelters with good supplies, having been neglected since the 1950's?
You find yourself in Arkansas and there is a warning advising people to take cover, where in Arkansas would you want to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness