Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:18 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times

Advertisements

Here's some of the wood we've hauled in over the last 2 weeks. Have about 7 cord so far and hoping to get another 7 cord before the snow stops our access.
Attached Thumbnails
Ha, as of late today seeems whole BOARD has bugged out!-wood440.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Here's some of the wood we've hauled in over the last 2 weeks. Have about 7 cord so far and hoping to get another 7 cord before the snow stops our access.
Good work!

We took 23 cord out of a woodlot last year. Should hold us awhile....

Old 11-02-2016, 10:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Between my father and I, we usually cut around 16 cords per year, 8 cords each, but we're using lodgepole pine as we don't have hardwoods.
Really splits nice, burns very hot, but fast.

Only got about 6 cords so far, but I am taking a week's vacation next week to get the job done for this year. Still filling the new woodshed at the cabin too, so that's another 4 cords, but we don't live up there in the winter so I don't need as much.
Usually, we have enough we give some to some of the older residents if they need for supplemental heating. When on a fixed income, having some wood could mean the difference between heating or eating in a harsh climate like we have.

I'll probably take a deer or 2 as well I can donate to the senior pantry. Proteins can be expensive, and one mule deer buck can provide over 100 lbs. of meat.
The local meat shops will process it for free if it's being donated, and the tags are only $16 for the buck tag, and $10 for over the counter doe tags.
I love hunting deer, so it's a win-win, I don't mind buying the tags and doing the work, but I just put one of my Highlander bulls in the freezer, so I don't have any more room.
If I get an elk and or bear, I'll have to buy another freezer, but I might anyway because I want to put a couple of hogs in for the winter too.

Harvests of wild foods is complete, the gardens done, but now's the time to can up apples, pears, etc.
Going to get some round straw bales (1000 lbs. each) and use them to build some snow fences to catch more snow so the runoff in the spring will fill the runoff ponds for summer stock water. Straw works well as the stock can eat on it, use it for shelter, and it rots into the ground making new and better soil.

The work never gets completely done before the snow starts laying in.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Wish I had that hardwood.

Good Job RyanR

Old 11-02-2016, 11:08 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I just put one of my Highlander bulls in the freezer, so I don't have any more room.
If I get an elk and or bear, I'll have to buy another freezer, but I might anyway because I want to put a couple of hogs in for the winter too.
Freezer space gets really tight this time of year!

Neither of my daughters has a freezer ("We have no room!") but they might each get one for Christmas, so I don't have to store all the meat for them. We already have 3 freezers, and we're the ones who are off-grid!

(No....don't ask me how we do that.... ).

Old 11-02-2016, 12:04 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
It is cold enough here now that no freezer needed.

I have approx 1000+ square feet and hope on burning a max of 2-3 cords during the entire winter as my sole heat source up here in Alaska (ideally closer to the 2 cord mark). It is all bucked up and ready to go. I do split as I go daily to not get lazy and force myself to go outside in all weather conditions . Got my husquvarna starting up on the first or second pull with fresh gas and a new pull cord. The bar and chain oil is gelling up if I store it in my cold shed. Already recorded a -19F degree temperature reading here about a week ago. Winter is here with lots of beautiful Northern Lights and low temps but still very minimal snow cover. There is none coming in the foreseeable future either. Even rainy S.E. Alaska is having record dry stretches. I don't know what is causing the lack of precipitation up here but maybe we will get dumped on one of these days.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:05 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
I have 3 large and 1 medium sized freezers. Got a cow from a friend and I didn't get the weight until I picked it up. Weighed in over 700#. Got home and sure enough, I only had room for about 500-600#. Had to drive to 2 different towns to get a freezer that day. I keep the 3 large full and keep that medium sized freezer for any seasonal overflow.

We also have his and hers freezers. She's not allowed to put anything in my "meat" freezer.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 PM

Yep. I've got 2 chest type, my parents have a chest and a standing, plus the freezers on the refrigerators.
When I put that bull in, the lid came within about 2 inches of closing

Had to eat a couple prime rib roasts to make room.
The sacrifices one must make to be self sufficient

Old 11-02-2016, 01:23 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Welcome home, everyone!

Old 11-02-2016, 02:27 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Wow! Hats off to you guys.

I've got a fish, a bag of broccli beef and a few boxes of frozen rice in my freezer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness