Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:27 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,340,787 times

Advertisements

Stop trying to interrupt his cognitive dissonance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 07:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You're just making stuff up once again.

From the CDC:
Products - Data Briefs - Number 192 - March 2015
You may well live an "average" of 6.8 miles from an emergency room if you are an urbanite. But an average is never the whole ball of wax. Stop tossing out links that make people think what is, isn't.

My mother lived in the city of Cranston, Rhode Island. The only 2 hospitals for her to use were Rhode Island Hospital in Providence, and Kent County (now Kent) Hospital in Warwick. I had driven her to each one on many occasions, and they were BOTH more than 6.8 miles away, and BOTH more than 10 minutes away by car. And the city of Cranston is quite urbanized.

The problem revolved around reaching US Interstate 95, which was the only clear path to either hospital. So I would say, it depends on which "urban" area you are referring to. Maybe out west there are better routes, I don't know. I lived most of my life in Rhode Island, which was a hellish traffic jam almost 24/7.

In northern Maine, where I am now, I can reach a regional medical center in 15 minutes. No traffic up here. You really need to look at the details, before using such a broad brushstroke to convince everybody of what you say. You aren't "everywhere", and the CDC is just this side of wrong about many things.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
You guys are so oblivious. ER visits are not emergencies. "Within 10 minutes of a hospital" is not how long it takes you to get there, it is how long it takes them to get to you. The general consensus is that ambulance response has to be available within 8 minutes. That's obviously not going to happen in rural areas.

EMS Response Time Standards | EMSWorld.com

Old 12-01-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You guys are so oblivious. ER visits are not emergencies.
Well, they SHOULD be for "emergencies".

Over the past decade or two, urbanites have been using Emergency Rooms ("ER"s) for regular doctor visits. This results in long, multi-hour waits for people who really should be seen on an "emergency" basis. I refuse to sit in an "emergency room" at a hospital waiting for 4 hours to be treated.

That's the reason the wife and I belong to a concierge medical practice. We can be seen upon arrival, and even get a home visit if we are too ill to travel. Try it -- you'll never want to use an urban ER again.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:46 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Talking 1% general refers to people with about a half million a year in income, whereas the 0.1% starts at +$2M/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
The wealthy will often have a bit of redundancy built into their holdings. Hunting cabins/estates, beach houses with boats and since you are in TX I'm sure you know some folks with weekend ranches, big, big ranches.
Being "in the 1%" doesn't always mean somebody can afford multiple homes and a private jet, that's more the domain of the 0.01%. On the other hand, having enough extra income that you can be more forward-looking in budgeting does encourage prepper-like behavior.

Ultimately, I guess it comes down to intent and how paranoid you are about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
and this is news????? These people have been doing this for decades. The reason so many "average" prepper acts surprise is because those with wealth don't go to PrepperCon all dressed up like some walking dead character or shop at Survival-R-Us for the latest khaki ammo vest.
Quite a bit of what is seen as "prepping" is what the moderately well off would see as being frugal and prudent; things like buying in bulk and otherwise stocking up on consumable goods, installing solar panels and other backup power, etc.

Is buying your hard goods in bulk at Costco once a month and having a 3-month supply of staples on hand actually prepping, or simply a hedge against the inflation of consumer goods prices? If you install solar panels to reduce your power bill and to benefit from the tax credit and SRECs, are you a prepper or do you just have a good accountant?

Old 12-02-2016, 07:13 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,314,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Being "in the 1%" doesn't always mean somebody can afford multiple homes and a private jet, that's more the domain of the 0.01%.
and don't I know it pal...

the "article" referenced is titled the Mega-rich, so beyond the run of the mill, dyed in the cashmere 1%.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:29 AM

54 posts, read 41,097 times
just last winter, I sat in an er, several times, in excruciating pain, for several hours each time, before I was treated. Getting to the hospital took about 5 minutes. All of my visits were late at night, too, in the Southern Midwest, town of 100,000 people and a really big military base very nearby. Once i got the treatment, I was fine in a very few minutes. But no, people in dire need just CANT be allowed to get in front of the wino who's got a heart murmur, ya know.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:03 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantra View Post
But no, people in dire need just CANT be allowed to get in front of the wino who's got a heart murmur, ya know.
Most ER's have a triage nurse that evaluates each patient when they come in. It's then not a first-come, first-serve, it's based on your need for care.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:07 PM

Then, there is THIS to consider!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3-_CysLsd8

Old 12-04-2016, 12:24 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Rich guys who are serious about survival a serious calamity are getting their private gangs instead of cabins and bug out bags. Better organized and larger in numbers gangs will hunt down cabin survivalists.

Btw, I believe rural areas are unhelthier overall because they soak in the cutting edge chemicals to grow urban foodstuff, as well as serve as landing pads for the burnout, unwanted or retired urbanites. This urban refuse effectively replaced traditional rural population and it is unable to create or maintain neither authentic culture nor simple hospitable environment, weirdness and social disfunction rule countryside, it drives people down 6 feet under. Rural demographics is at great disadvantage compared to the cities, it is a miracle the longevity gap is so small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness