Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 07:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantra View Post
........People wont be thinking of camping out. They will be thinking in terms of killing farmers and ranchers, (if need be) taking their stuff and moving into their buildings. Millions of the displaced will be from smaller towns just 10-50 miles from the rural areas, too. Dehydration will kill you regardless of where you are. You'll still be forced to seek out water, and your small town will burn like any big city.
They may be thinking it but will they be thinking it through?

One of the risks to a game warden, back at the turn of the century when I was looking at the job, was coming across an armed group, say poachers, and them deciding to off the game warden. No witnesses, backup at least an hour away, and being country folk, very apt at the guns they carried. I mean, I'm good out to 300-500 yards on iron sights and that probably comes from starting off on JROTC rifle team of the 70's, when they allowed such things. I'm not saying I shot like that in HS, mind you, but it was my foundation.

Anti-trespasser measures is one of the reasons why I am not too fond of removing my cactus or going full blast after ants. Now, if we say 2500 towns people against one me, sure, I'm toast. But I'm pretty much at the end of the road, there are a lot of ranches to get past before getting to me, I have made friends with local family companies (for this situation as in if they decide to spread their families through the region), etc, if, etc, if........

BUT, that is what I was alluding to (at least), people moving out into the rural areas by whatever motivation and not appreciating fire safety. Heck, I've got to instruct divers at camp outs about how to make sure the fire is out. They think they can just pour a cooler of ice on top of it as oppose to at least water, stir, water again. On camp outs, I'm the only one with a shovel. How many refugees will think to carry a shovel? So, things like that...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 07:43 AM

54 posts, read 41,130 times
the lack wont mean that they wont come. They'll take YOUR shovel and everything else that you've got. It wont take but one man to notice your noise or movement and just shoot you from concealment/cover. No way you can stop half a dozen from sneaking up on your place at night, setting fire to it and plinking you as you flee the burning buildings. Many will just want to kill and eat your livestock, or raid your grainbins, and you'll be unable to prevent it. Stop kidding yourself. Bikes can get anyplace, and people can and WILL walk hundreds of miles. Same as they've done thruout history. All, your neighbors are likely to walk over the hill, from any direction and do you up. Nobody and I mean nobody, in the lower 48 states, knows everyone who lives within 1 night's walk from them, 360 degrees. A night's walk is just 30 miles.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
right, everyone is going to just sit there and die of thirst, rather than get on a motorycycle or bicycle and move 50-500 miles. Sure they are. You're deluded, dude. People left Texas and Louisiana by the millions, over a mere hurricane. People flooded out of the 3 mile island area over the possibility of a nuclear plant meltdown. None of those threats was as messed up as not having water. Do you have a clue how many backpacks and bikes exist in the US? It's probably well over 100 million and 90%+ of the US population lives in towns and cities. News flash for you. All you have to move is YOU, and maybe water to cover you while you move. This idea that you have to move an 18 wheeler full of stuff is retarded. None of that stuff is necessary. Sell it or abandon it.

People wont be thinking of camping out. They will be thinking in terms of killing farmers and ranchers, (if need be) taking their stuff and moving into their buildings. Millions of the displaced will be from smaller towns just 10-50 miles from the rural areas, too. Dehydration will kill you regardless of where you are. You'll still be forced to seek out water, and your small town will burn like any big city.
Does anybody know WHO or WHAT this guy is referring to???

Old 12-04-2016, 07:45 AM

54 posts, read 41,130 times
this is a survival forum. If you've never heard of shtf, you're on the wrong forum

Old 12-04-2016, 07:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
the lack wont mean that they wont come. They'll take YOUR shovel and everything else that you've got. It wont take but one man to notice your noise or movement and just shoot you from concealment/cover. No way you can stop half a dozen from sneaking up on your place at night, setting fire to it and plinking you as you flee the burning buildings. Many will just want to kill and eat your livestock, or raid your grainbins, and you'll be unable to prevent it. Stop kidding yourself. Bikes can get anyplace, and people can and WILL walk hundreds of miles. Same as they've done thruout history. All, your neighbors are likely to walk over the hill, from any direction and do you up. Nobody and I mean nobody, in the lower 48 states, knows everyone who lives within 1 night's walk from them, 360 degrees. A night's walk is just 30 miles.
Awww, it's Gunkid back in town.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:56 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Well, like I said, if I'm alone, I'm toast. If I'm part of an irregulars collective, such as when farmers and ranchers joined resources in wartime, perhaps a different story. An ex SEAL I worked for thought like that and at the time, I didn't have anything to bring to the collective but now I do. So, maybe no, maybe yes.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:06 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
... everyone is going to just sit there and die of thirst, rather than get on a motorycycle or bicycle and move 50-500 miles. Sure they are
There will most certainly be some percentage of people who do get up and go. However in society I think that there will also be a much larger percentage of people who sit at home, whinning, who will NOT get up and go, until after they have expended all resources they already had. Leaving them as starving, thristy and disabled before they ever decide to start moving.

Quote:
... Do you have a clue how many backpacks and bikes exist in the US?
15% of the US population is elderly.

Aging Statistics

19% is disabled.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele.../cb12-134.html

Able-bodied adults who have backpacks and who are capable of a 50-500 mile hike is a small percentage.

Quote:
... People wont be thinking of camping out. They will be thinking in terms of killing farmers and ranchers, (if need be) taking their stuff and moving into their buildings. Millions of the displaced will be from smaller towns just 10-50 miles from the rural areas, too. Dehydration will kill you regardless of where you are. You'll still be forced to seek out water, and your small town will burn like any big city.
I have read posters say how they plan to be a raider / looter. I suggest those people to stay local. It seems kind of silly to travel a long distance, just to die in the driveway of a stranger after hiking 100 miles.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:16 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
... No way you can stop half a dozen from sneaking up on your place at night, setting fire to it and plinking you as you flee the burning buildings. Many will just want to kill and eat your livestock, or raid your grainbins, and you'll be unable to prevent it. Stop kidding yourself.
Farms are not grocery stores.

If your goal is to bushwhack farmers, you certainly can do that. Then what? The buildings have been burned down, the livestock are dead, there is no warehouse of food. On the second day, you will be right back at the same predicament. No shelter, no food, no resources.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
right, everyone is going to just sit there and die of thirst, rather than get on a motorycycle or bicycle and move 50-500 miles. Sure they are. You're deluded, dude. People left Texas and Louisiana by the millions, over a mere hurricane. People flooded out of the 3 mile island area over the possibility of a nuclear plant meltdown. None of those threats was as messed up as not having water. Do you have a clue how many backpacks and bikes exist in the US? It's probably well over 100 million and 90%+ of the US population lives in towns and cities. News flash for you. All you have to move is YOU, and maybe water to cover you while you move. This idea that you have to move an 18 wheeler full of stuff is retarded. None of that stuff is necessary. Sell it or abandon it.

People wont be thinking of camping out. They will be thinking in terms of killing farmers and ranchers, (if need be) taking their stuff and moving into their buildings. Millions of the displaced will be from smaller towns just 10-50 miles from the rural areas, too. Dehydration will kill you regardless of where you are. You'll still be forced to seek out water, and your small town will burn like any big city.
Why will anyone leave cities without reason? If they're thirsty, they can simply turn on the faucet. You have posited another piece of silliness, Gunkid.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Nope.

I grew up in a city, too, but had enough brains and self-made money to build a house before moving to a rural area - just as you did. And lest you forget, my brother and I spent summers up in Maine from the ages of 6 or 7, with our uncle, as our dad died young. We spent summers camping, fishing, shooting, learning to drive ATVs, to use chain saws (something you're afraid of).

You know exactly what I'm talking about, regarding urbanites in the woods.
We both grew up in cities, but sixty years ago when the population of the country was less than half of what is today there was an important difference between the east coast cities that were three hundred years old or more at the time and cities in the rest of the country. The old cities were solid urban areas. There were no fields, farms or huge parks within the cities. Land was too expensive. During my earliest years within the Chicago city limits I remember truck farms and large tracts of vacant land. It wasn't wilderness, but it was rural in a real sense. There were even marshes in Chicago teeming with wildlife. Chicago was corrupt so only police officers along with other favored employees and guests were allowed to hunt within the city limits (not legally but allowed nonetheless), but anyone could wander around these areas. The urban dweller in these cities wasn't nearly so far removed from rural life as the residents of NYC, Boston, etc. were. Consequently, when I first visited the West with my parents after the war, I did not find myself in an alien environment. Sure, it was bigger and had mountains, but it was simply a matter of degree. When my late wife and I moved to our first rural home, we never experienced shock, fear, or distress. There were new things to learn and we learned them. It really wasn't difficult.

Chicago is different today. The vacant lands are almost gone; the marsh areas are often closed to the public; the urban dweller today is more like the urban dweller of Providence's Federal Hill in 1950 rather than the Chicago urban dweller of 1950.

I don't consider the use of chainsaws to be prudent; I'd make the same statement about 200 amp arc welders used in high iron work. In fact, I'd make the blanket statement that I wouldn't engage in any kind of high iron work. I would have said the same thing when I was twenty.

I chose the country before I became a survivalist simply because I prefer it as you do. I do consider it to be a safe haven, particularly in the West. Again, like you I prefer quality of life over quantity. The recent presidential elections signal a renaissance that will likely last longer than I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness