Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 06:43 PM

994 posts, read 966,671 times

Advertisements

I've never owned property / land of any kind. I Would like to buy some eventually , but it's most likely going to be somewhere cheap in the high desert with some shrubs, maybe some juniper trees. I don't make much money , so ideally would only be able to afford 1 / 1.5 acres if I find a good deal round say 5,000. I know cheap land is cheap for a reason and hoping I could find a diamond in the rough. Do you think its worth it for that small piece of land to have an escape away from city issues if they come about? Or would it be more worthwhile to find some one with the same mindset selling or sharing their land for cheaper in a better location with trees?

I would plan to make a sort of off grid area with solar , park my suv camper conversion or cabin , whatever I decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 07:06 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Well, I would try to find a place with privacy and access to water, where it's not a challenge just to survive the elements.

A small patch of desert doesn't do that for ME. I would rather have a spot in a cooler climate that has water, at least nearby. IMHO, it is easier to make yourself warmer, with either a fire or clothing/shelter, than it is to make a hot place cooler.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:19 PM

994 posts, read 966,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, I would try to find a place with privacy and access to water, where it's not a challenge just to survive the elements.

A small patch of desert doesn't do that for ME. I would rather have a spot in a cooler climate that has water, at least nearby. IMHO, it is easier to make yourself warmer, with either a fire or clothing/shelter, than it is to make a hot place cooler.
I'd like a more convenient spot too, but i just can't afford it. Most of those lots seem to start around 15-20k

Old 03-08-2023, 09:05 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Assuming you're talking some a city event that results in a breakdown of society, if you have a sustainable water source and the property is situated in a manner that promotes stockpile living, go for it. Remember, in a societal breakdown, you want to be where everyone else doesn't want to be. It won't be a walk in the park and the traditional fantasy fair weather prepper philosophies won't work, but believe me, you'll be surprised how many real safehouses are located in desert scrub land.

Old 03-09-2023, 12:15 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
You can do a lot with an acre to an acre and a half. A decade ago I lived in a suburb with only that much, and there was a big house on it. Still plenty of space for a shop, garden, chickens, a rainwater collection system, and a modest solar panel setup. Still too much grass remaining that needed to be mowed every weekend! It was east so no water issues, but no good for SHTF.

If you watch any YouTube, check out Affordable Desert Living channel. He's a retiree from CA who settled in Cochise County AZ on a peice of scrub land, slept in a tent, and gradually bought a small premade shed for a cabin, built a tarp storage, and now has rainwater collection and solar. No building codes out that way, and his lsnd was pretty cheap, as he had no money.

Old 03-09-2023, 12:22 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,117,125 times
What are you planning to do with the property? How are you gong to live? What is your plan & purpose?

A single acre of land is plenty if it's located where there's good soil & abundant water. Some people farm that much and actually make a profit....OTOH, an ac of land in a desert will be a real problem in regars your self-sufficiency.....

If you're claiming an ac is going for $15-20 K, it must be in a developed subdivision-- hardly "an escape location." In the midwest, an ac of the best farmland in the world is only $5 K. Here in WI, wooded property with topography not conducive to row cropping is only $3000/ac-- and plenty of soil & water.

Old 03-09-2023, 04:11 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Have you considered moving to an area where good land is more affordable?

Old 03-09-2023, 05:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Sounds like fun. Got a truck ? Haul in water in big containers - get help figuring out how to unload them.
Or buy a trailer and keep them on that til empty and refill 'em.
Figure out a gas generator hook up. Make plenty of shade....Hook up solar for whatever. Dig a very, very deep
hole for an out house. Buy powdered milk for your coffee and ya got it made.
Slowly buy acres around you to keep people away from you.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 03-09-2023 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 03-09-2023, 05:35 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,363 times
Be sure to buy something that you want and can visit. If not, then it is as good as land on the moon (which they do sell).

Old 03-09-2023, 06:01 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I've never owned property / land of any kind. I Would like to buy some eventually , but it's most likely going to be somewhere cheap in the high desert with some shrubs, maybe some juniper trees. I don't make much money , so ideally would only be able to afford 1 / 1.5 acres if I find a good deal round say 5,000. I know cheap land is cheap for a reason and hoping I could find a diamond in the rough. Do you think its worth it for that small piece of land to have an escape away from city issues if they come about? Or would it be more worthwhile to find some one with the same mindset selling or sharing their land for cheaper in a better location with trees?

I would plan to make a sort of off grid area with solar , park my suv camper conversion or cabin , whatever I decide.
The concept is sound, the choice of 'where' is critical to achieve (potential) what you're trying to accomplish.

The rule of thumb... to survive, you need shelter within 3 hours, you need water within 3 days, you need food within 3 weeks.

Your vehicle must be able to get you there. You can bring some extra fuel. Your vehicle can be a shelter. You can bring some water (desert). You can bring some food... but how much?

A source of water is critical. Having solar is a convenience, but you can live without electricity. However... you can't live without water. Now ... if it's a well and you need a pump then your increasing dependency on 'things'.

If I had limited resources and a bug out plan is what I wanted to do... I'd get a reliable vehicle I can protect from EMP, is off road capable, store some extra fuel, can store water (45 gals), food (25000 calories) for one person for 90 days, because 90 days is important. Once i could do that then I'd focus on where is best for sustaining myself after 90 days.

I would prefer somewhere where walking distance from a main road or interstate is unreasonable or the environment is a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness