Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 02:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times

Advertisements

The U.S. is currently experiencing severe weather throughout almost the entire country. However, what is most interesting isn't the "big picture" but rather the little things that happen. They often give us a better indication. I was expecting an ebay delivery yesterday, but when I checked the tracking, I read "NO ACCESS" instead of "DELIVERED." The package was sent to my house, not my post office box, for the sake of convenience. It was a small item that should have fit into the box so the road must be a real mess. She normally brings deliveries to the house and I think that she has 4WD. I know that I could have driven to the road without any trouble.

Are others experiencing any problems or inconveniences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 02:40 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Not here in sunny Florida!

Old 12-11-2016, 05:10 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,551,825 times
I'm not Wyoming, but my good friend just left South Florida for about 60 miles outside of Lexington, Ky.
He bought himself a 2000 sq. ft. place that needs a lot of work. He's quite capable of doing all the work himself.
He's moving his family (a 13 yr. old, a wife, and 5 cats) to his new farmland.
The last two weeks he's been there alone, ripping out the old floor, the kitchen, taking down the walls to change floor plan, and Gawd knows what else. He'll be working on it all through winter into late spring.
Well, the final trip was today. (he's transported things from here to there by truck last couple of weeks) So the wife drives one truck with the kid, him with the 5 cats. They hit all the burned down forest along the way, and of course, snow in N. TN. and KY.
So to answer you, he's got kits in their trucks, but at the time will be reorganizing everything once he gets to his new home. I'm sure within the past two weeks, he's already made a new stash(es) before even beginning work on the house.
I have no worries about him. He's a real diehard. He's already thinking of the seeds he's going to sow next spring.
I'll miss him. But he had to go home, Florida was too much for him. Now he's back in his element, and I'm happy for him.
He's loving the storm. It will not set someone like him back.

Last edited by TerraDown; 12-11-2016 at 05:23 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 07:10 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
So far, northern Maine has been quiet. We've had a few dribbles and dustings of snow, but nothing substantial. It's no colder than usual this time of year.

However, I am not fooled. I know there's worse to come - much worse. But we are already prepared for the very worst, as in most things.

I may miss the start of it. On the 20th, we'll be heading to TN for a large family get-together for Christmas. We may get socked down there (child's play, except for the drivers unskilled in snow) and come back to Maine to get socked again!

"It's the most wonderful time of the year..."

Old 12-11-2016, 08:21 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,314,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
(child's play, except for the drivers unskilled in snow)
This!

A thousand times!

Spent some time in North Carolina and I'll tell you 2 centimeters of snow there is a lot more dangerous than 2 feet of snow in New England.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:06 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times
We've only got a few inches of snow, of course it's snowing today.
The temps have been between +8 and -5, wind chills as low as -35. The roads aren't real bad, some pack ice, but driving to Missoula on Saturday there was no black ice, but I did hit a storm so there was about 3 inches of slush on the road.

No big deal here, life goes on as usual since this is a pretty mild winter so far. Normally we would have a couple of feet of snow on the ground, temps around -10 for the highs during the day. Just put on a sweater under your jacket and go.
Much better than when we were dying of heat stroke in July and August when it was in the 80's!!

Old 12-12-2016, 11:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
We've had probably 18" of snow in the last week or so. Temperatures have been cold; we had -13 as a low one night. The last two days have been a bit above freezing, but the snow isn't clearing. Snow usually doesn't last more than a few hours, but we have had ground covers that last two weeks. This is the worst time of the year for snow. There's more snow falling in the spring, but it's quickly gone. This is the coldest we've had in at least two years.

It may seem strange, but I wish we'd get some wind. The temperature would go up unless it's a rare east wind and the snow would be sublimating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness