Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:10 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times

Advertisements

I NEED a musical instrument, preferably a classical guitar, but a violin, cello, or piano will do in a pinch. I consider this a basic need, just as much as writing material is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:23 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Ha! Yeah, I felt that way at one time too.

Three years ago I fell and suffered a brain injury. Until about 2/3 months ago, I spent 80% of my time in bed with earplugs and an eye mask to block light and noise....extreme migraines, fatigue, confusion otherwise. I learned to meditate out of desperation. I was forced to learn how to quiet down. I'm not saying it's better than being active, but I did adjust. It's different and offers a rich perspective. No one was more surprised than me. Being an introvert helped.

Now that I'm able to be up and around, I'm carefully choosing my exposure to noise especially. No TV ever....but I never watched it. And we moved from lower MoCo near the beltway to west of Frederick in a quiet country locale. Heaven. Not all that far from you if you live in Mt. Airy.

Yes I am in Mt Airy, MARYLAND. I learned on this board that there are a many towns named Mount Airy, I am often asked if I live in the one near Philadelphia or the one in North Carolina. I'm thinking you are either on Braddock or South Mountain.

So sorry to hear about your situation, my wife is just now recovering from brain surgery to clip an aneurysm so I understand a lot of what you are describing. But hers was only a few months. Glad you are better.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
if you have a dog, you have to go outside..

Old 12-19-2016, 08:50 AM

107 posts, read 118,926 times
If I could be allowed one book, it would be a
big help.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:22 AM

160 posts, read 146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Ha! Yeah, I felt that way at one time too.

Three years ago I fell and suffered a brain injury. Until about 2/3 months ago, I spent 80% of my time in bed with earplugs and an eye mask to block light and noise....extreme migraines, fatigue, confusion otherwise. I learned to meditate out of desperation. I was forced to learn how to quiet down. I'm not saying it's better than being active, but I did adjust. It's different and offers a rich perspective. No one was more surprised than me. Being an introvert helped.

Now that I'm able to be up and around, I'm carefully choosing my exposure to noise especially. No TV ever....but I never watched it. And we moved from lower MoCo near the beltway to west of Frederick in a quiet country locale. Heaven. Not all that far from you if you live in Mt. Airy.
What was going through your mind while you meditated.What did you do all day everyday.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:39 AM

55 posts, read 41,689 times
Crazy inducing stuff. Going mad is literally one way of coping - see and hear stuff that doesn't there, carry on imaginary conversations.

Write, exercise, etc. Not going out? Assuming nothing is compelling you to stay indoors, I would have to go out, eventually, that's the real problem.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:54 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
What about if you had to balance a plate on a fork for a year and you could only eat green peas?

Old 12-19-2016, 12:56 PM

230 posts, read 173,308 times
I'd have no excuse not to exercise!

Old 12-19-2016, 01:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
A lot of origami.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:54 PM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
I don't mind solitude for short periods of the day, but would not want to be away from family (wife, children, etc.) for long periods of time. I could do without TV and the internet though, but as noted, I'm not sure my children could.

cd :O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness