Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:40 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Cats are not essential to living. And cats are not family. I'm sorry. Just because we have an emotional attachment to them does not make them human beings.

This person woes living in a truck? Get rid of the goofy cats. Animals are expensive luxuries.
Actually they are family, regardless of what you believe. They may be all the OP has as family. Nobody said they were human beings, not one person in this thread even insinuated that. But the OP needs suggestions on how to live WITH her cats, either in her truck or to stay in her apartment. Thankfully, she's gotten some actual helpful advice further upthread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 AM

8,235 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you want to reduce the heat that gets into any enclosed space, look into the double-sided foil with bubble wrap in the middle, sold at HD and Lowes. Line the entire inside of the enclosure with this stuff, even the floor and esp the roof. Good idea to remove windows and attach screening. Use the window reflectors for the windows, but do not use that stuff to line the enclosure - use the bubble foil.

Then get one or two of these and run 'em on batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-5-Inch...rds=o2cool+fan

If anybody survives the summer, it'll be the cats, not you.....good luck!
Hi. Been looking for the bubble foil stuff around here and the guy at Lowes didn't know what I was talking about. Is there a particular section it would be in?

Someone gave me an old screen that was bent for me to cut down. It's big enough for the two smaller windows.

Worried about the summer. It's already in the 70s around here and it's February. But I haven't heard anything out of the disability review yet so I can't renew the lease with the risk of eviction and/or lease penalties. Plus, can't run risk of losing much needed return of security deposit.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Hi. Been looking for the bubble foil stuff around here and the guy at Lowes didn't know what I was talking about. Is there a particular section it would be in?
It's an insulation. One brand that is well-known is Reflectix. It's called "bubble foil" insulation, and is about 1/4" thick. Nice and thin. It reflects heat both in and out, so you won't get "hot car syndrome"!

If the doofuses at Lowe's can't figure it out, go to Home Depot. I know those jobs don't pay well, but sheesh, everybody in the home improvement field knows what this stuff is! It is not an automotive product, it's made to insulate homes and attics, but you can use it anywhere. Good luck to you, and stay safe!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:14 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Radiant Barrier Insulation is what you are looking for.

Reflectix is one brand I have used and it is carried at my local HD as of a couple months ago.

The stuff isn't cheap but it is darn effective.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:47 AM

k I'll have to find a HD. What's the best way to attach the stuff? I don't want to use something that ends up putting off fumes or something if it comes into contact with wrong material or something like that. My mom stuck superglue on something once that wasn't safe and it started smoking and stuff. Nor do I want something that won't stay stuck when I want it to be stuck.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
k I'll have to find a HD. What's the best way to attach the stuff? I don't want to use something that ends up putting off fumes or something if it comes into contact with wrong material or something like that. My mom stuck superglue on something once that wasn't safe and it started smoking and stuff. Nor do I want something that won't stay stuck when I want it to be stuck.
Ususally you staple it in, but if you have no framework or interior panels to staple it to, you can either use duct tape or velcro stickers. With cats, you might want to go with the duct tape. Gorilla tape is the best. I don't think this will 'put off fumes' as it's made to use in human habitation, but I wouldn't use superglue!

Old 02-21-2017, 11:53 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
If your truck is running maybe relocate up north.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Quote:
Have a buddy that used double sided carpet tape also available from HD. Like you he was insulating a vehicle, in his case he was insulating an old volvo station wagon roof. He was able to take out the headliner carefully, install the radiant barrier with the double sided tape and re-install the headliner.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Have a buddy that used double sided carpet tape also available from HD. Like you he was insulating a vehicle, in his case he was insulating an old volvo station wagon roof. He was able to take out the headliner carefully, install the radiant barrier with the double sided tape and re-install the headliner.
Thanks. I'll try doing this for the cab.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
If your truck is running maybe relocate up north.
Yes, definitely heading north. Got to hang out in the area long enough for return of deposits and a couple of dr appts and then heading north. It was 77 degrees yesterday in February. It's been getting so that most of the months are warm to hot around here and sometimes doesn't cool down until oct/nov.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness