Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 2,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, definitely heading north. Got to hang out in the area long enough for return of deposits and a couple of dr appts and then heading north. It was 77 degrees yesterday in February. It's been getting so that most of the months are warm to hot around here and sometimes doesn't cool down until oct/nov.
I'm new to the site. Just tried to DM you back and it said I can't send more than 2 messages per day. Weird? You have an email where I can reach you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 12:06 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Ok, here's an idea; since so many folks are on here -- & many in the KY area where the OP is, I think -- can we pull together to ask around to see if anyone can assist by taking these pets til further notice? It seems that w/ a board of many 1000s of folks, that surely we'd find someone nearby that'd collaborate w/ OP for assistance.

I can't believe there's no solution other than boarding up vehicle windows to endure the summer nonsense, etc. Check me if wrong but it seems ludicrous -- w/ so many folks accessing this site daily -- that we can't rally a solution.

Ok, sorry to rant but I went college in WV but am no use here yet as still in in Godforsaken dumpy AZ ( apologize to you AZ lovers, ahem, but...) thus am rendered useless -- other than rallying the troops to help her out. Thanks all for your consideration.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ok, here's an idea; since so many folks are on here -- & many in the KY area where the OP is, I think -- can we pull together to ask around to see if anyone can assist by taking these pets til further notice? It seems that w/ a board of many 1000s of folks, that surely we'd find someone nearby that'd collaborate w/ OP for assistance.

I can't believe there's no solution other than boarding up vehicle windows to endure the summer nonsense, etc. Check me if wrong but it seems ludicrous -- w/ so many folks accessing this site daily -- that we can't rally a solution.

Ok, sorry to rant but I went college in WV but am no use here yet as still in in Godforsaken dumpy AZ ( apologize to you AZ lovers, ahem, but...) thus am rendered useless -- other than rallying the troops to help her out. Thanks all for your consideration.
She mentions that her cats are very old. She tried to rehome them, but they refused to eat and nearly died. I don't think she'd have a hard time finding someone to take them on this board, especially if temporary, but the cats won't have it. They'd rather die than go through the stress of a new home.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:54 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
I tried to get into subsidized housing but was turned down because of credit.
... because you had spent all your money on cats. Yes, this sounds cold, but it's the truth.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:36 AM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
The $35/month I spend on my cats wouldn't even pay the interest on my debts.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:41 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,688 times
Quote:
The $35/month I spend on my cats wouldn't even pay the interest on my debts.
I'm so sorry to hear you are so down and out. You are really good to be caring for your cats like this. I hope it comes back to you 100-fold.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
... because you had spent all your money on cats. Yes, this sounds cold, but it's the truth.
Ridiculous, & yes, very cold. These cats/pets are FAMILY to her -- & many others in same boat. I'll refrain from saying beyond cold, as it'll suffice. No need to comment in a derogatory way. If nothing good to say, why bother saying anything? Destructive crit is worse than none at all, no?

Old 03-02-2017, 02:54 PM

I got word today that I will be cut off disability. I have zero chances of holding down a job. No employer has ever wanted to keep me no matter how hard I tried to keep up with everyone. I haven't even received a job offer since 2009.

I'm filing an appeal, but I won't keep my hopes up.

I'm never going to have a home again.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you want to reduce the heat that gets into any enclosed space, look into the double-sided foil with bubble wrap in the middle, sold at HD and Lowes. Line the entire inside of the enclosure with this stuff, even the floor and esp the roof. Good idea to remove windows and attach screening. Use the window reflectors for the windows, but do not use that stuff to line the enclosure - use the bubble foil.

Then get one or two of these and run 'em on batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-5-Inch...rds=o2cool+fan

If anybody survives the summer, it'll be the cats, not you.....good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-ST1...ords=reflectix

Is this the right stuff? They have different rolls of reflectix.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:15 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-ST1...ords=reflectix

Is this the right stuff? They have different rolls of reflectix.
Yep, that's the right stuff!

The different sizes of rolls are for different areas that may need to be covered. If you are using it for the interior of a truck cap, I would think the 2' wide rolls would be easier to handle than the 4' wide rolls. Measure carefully to see how many rolls you'll need. It shouldn't cost too much for a truck. Use tape for it, not staples or glue. You want to be able to remove it neatly someday.

Don't lose faith. You will get a home again. Lots of people are facing hard times right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness