Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 04:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Tanya, don't finance an RV. Get a trailer and pay it cash. I've lived in a lot of RV parks and seen folks of all walks of life living in their RV or travel trailer. I knew a couple who was living out of a $500 5th wheel trailer. When they needed to move it, they called a tow truck or a friend with a truck. They didn't even have a way of movig it themselves. You can expect to pay on average $500 per month if you own the RV/trailer. Some sites as low as 250/mo and some as high as $1000. But typically $500 give or take will cover the lot and electricity. You will also need propane for cooking and heat but that's pretty cheap. Expect to have to maintain what you own just like you would your own house. Things will break and need repair. Tires will need to get replaced, etc. but there is no cheaper way to live and the ability to sleep in the occasional parking lot for free in your own bed is nice. Feel free to ask me any questions. My family lives in rv though we are staying with relatives for the hollidays.
I considered that but I preferred a condo and it sounds like mine is cheaper. I got a no down payment loan (FHA) and my mortgage is $363 which includes property taxes. I pay $188 in condo fees, and $500/yr or so for homeowners insurance. Of course I bought a 'fixer-upper', not one that was all re-done or it would have cost too much.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya1985 View Post
1. None of your business and not the topic of conversation. Really?
2. Why would I? And no. And no.
3. Three car loans on my credit. How do you explain that?
4. Moving does not affect your credit score in any way. And...how do you suggest we deal with no hot water? No house heat in -20 degree weather? And the whole 3 feet of raw sewage thing? Among others...
5. Can't work, remember? BF? You mean boyfriend? No, I have a husband, as I said. And how could HE take out a loan in my name? Yes they are fraudulent. But if someone else can take out a loan on my name without credit, why can't I? We could not possibly live any more frugal than we already are...

Yes, I do have money for gas. Gas is not that expensive. A major base to park it will be Walmart. There are also National Parks, of which we are free lifetime members. Campgrounds, trailer parks, my driveway... There are endless places. Not sure if we want something with it's own engine or a trailer. But something we could get immediately. And something new, with no problems. Depreciation? It's an RV, not a house bordering the expanding ghettos.

We don't have an issue with food. What federal law states I am required to work two jobs? Do you know how expensive day care is? 2 jobs would not even cover daycare, so my kids could never see us all day. Do the math.
Moving does affect your credit score. Moving a lot, I mean. the longer one has been at the same address, the more stable one looks.

In fact being a homeowner and having lived here a long time gets me discounts on a lot of things. Better rates and/or discounts on just about everything. Because stable is what anyone loaning you money or carrying an insurance policy for you or anything else wants to see.

Before I was a homeowner just being at the same address for more than 2 years got me plusses on everything .....

Old 01-01-2017, 04:36 PM

60 posts, read 51,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
You don't qualify for an RV loan. Period.
Why? And how do you know this? What are the rules?

Old 01-01-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
No. America is a 3rd world nation. No money to help the poor. No housing. No medical care. Poor living conditions. No laws or rights to protect it's people. No police force. No laws regulating housing, sewage, heating, water, noise, dangers, nothing. The laws that do exist, are not followed, and are not enforced. The public buses smell like fermented cat turds and vinegar, thee is blasting rap music, people singing, dancing, shouting and fighting. Blasting music outside all night, people fighting with baseball bats, knives, guns. Just had a quadruple homicide the other day a block away. And we live in a "nice small town". Homeless people squatters, living in cars outside your home. Graffiti everywhere, broken sidewalks and roads. No one even speaks English anymore. I am surprised, and thankful, this site is in English!

No really. I don't know why everyone in the world is trying to get to America. They say becasue America has the world's best welfare. That actually is not true, statistically. Japan and the USA have the worst social welfare in the world. As evidenced by us not being able to get any of it. We have food stamps. That helps. But it is very little in the scheme of things.
I don't know anyone who thinks we have the best welfare. Everyone knows other countries have more in that aspect. America is the land of opportunity. To work. that is why people flood here from Mexico. To work.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
You can't make payments on an RV? Are you sure? I don't think that is universal in all States. And I don't think they repossess RVs either. Repossess is usually when they take something away from you.
Seriously? Even a house can be 're-possessed'. Of course they will take your RV if you fail to make payments. try missing .... about 3.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:48 PM

Why haven't you applied for section 8 housing?

Pay that $300 if that is truly the only thing on your husband's credit that is bad. since yours is trashed, his needs to be perfect for y'all to rely on.

Try and get them to agree to delete for paying but if they won't, at least it shows 'paid debt', which is better than unpaid.

then he needs to get credit cards, slowly, strategically. Ones with no annual fees, and not a lot of them. Start with Care Credit or Wal-Mart card. Something easy to get and use it a little but pay it off directly after any purchase.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:00 PM

324 posts, read 270,917 times
https://section-8-housing.org/Eligib...FUcbaQodP-oCpw

Section 8 Housing program applicants must be United States citizens or legal immigrants with a regulated status. Additionally, they may be asked to provide documents to prove their citizenship. Valid documents include a U.S. passport, Social Security card, resident alien card, registration card or other appropriate documentation. Families where all members are U.S. citizens will be eligible for full housing assistance. However, families whose members are not U.S. citizens or do not have legal immigration status are ineligible to apply. If a family is constituted from members who are U.S. citizens and members who do not have a legal residence status, the family is considered mixed and is eligible for prorated assistance, calculated on the basis of the number of family members who are legal U.S. citizens.

Also note that meeting all eligibility low income housing requirements does not mean you will immediately start to receive benefits. Your name will be put on a waiting list and when it is your turn, payments will be sent to you through a housing voucher issued by the PHA.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:05 PM

60 posts, read 51,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

If this is real, those poor kids Ugh.
Excuse me?

Old 01-01-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
https://section-8-housing.org/Eligib...FUcbaQodP-oCpw

Section 8 Housing program applicants must be United States citizens or legal immigrants with a regulated status. Additionally, they may be asked to provide documents to prove their citizenship. Valid documents include a U.S. passport, Social Security card, resident alien card, registration card or other appropriate documentation. Families where all members are U.S. citizens will be eligible for full housing assistance. However, families whose members are not U.S. citizens or do not have legal immigration status are ineligible to apply. If a family is constituted from members who are U.S. citizens and members who do not have a legal residence status, the family is considered mixed and is eligible for prorated assistance, calculated on the basis of the number of family members who are legal U.S. citizens.

Also note that meeting all eligibility low income housing requirements does not mean you will immediately start to receive benefits. Your name will be put on a waiting list and when it is your turn, payments will be sent to you through a housing voucher issued by the PHA.
Here (TX) one can sign up for as many lists as they want to. If they are flexible on location. There is a way to get email alerts when a list is opening up. I helped a homeless person get on recently. Easier for a family than a single person to be approved. Disabled head of household with children would be a high priority. I think 3 bedroom is the max.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Why? And how do you know this? What are the rules?
Many people have posted why you wouldn't be approved for one. They don't approve loans for RVs to be primary residences. People you see living in therm either own them outright or have a principal residence.

How much is your rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness