Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:23 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
With practice, you can learn to increase blood flow to your hands through mental control.
Can I learn how to selfcombust? Is that a word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 11:02 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
HHMMM

Several points of contention here!

FIRST PRIORIty OP: GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR! IF there is NO medical reason, simply WEAR GLOVES as often as you need to!

1} HYPO and HYPER glycemia ARE two different things, but HypO {low sugar} is what is called "pre-diabetic state"...I know I was one for 20 some years, always being considered pre-diabetic. WHY? because as someone here noted it can LEAD to "adult onset diabetes", AKA "Type 2 Diabetes" {high sugar}. Now I am diabetic! ANd my FEET, not my hands, are the COLD CULPRIT. They are like icicles at below 50 degreesF. Poor circulation in the extremities is one problem with diabetes. I simply wear 2 pairs of sock, one regular and one merino wool and always wear fuzzy lined slippers or shoes to keep my feet warm.

2}as noted the OP is a small person weighing little. THAT may be her problem, medical causes aside.

3} I strip to a t-shirt in colder weather when I work up a sweat. I am also overweight and even down in the 20s will wear a long sleeve shirt, a sweater and my LIGHT SPRING jacket ONLY. {my feet are bundled of course.}
If I start to sweat a lot, I take one or more off. SO People CAN wear a t-shirt or thin long sleeve shirt in colder weather, WITHOUT BS-ing anyone! HEck I see guys {usually} in shorts in the twenties as normal attire,and lets not forget the ladies whose only covering is a short skirt over pantyhose. Like my feet, though my legs get cold easier than my torso, so I stop wearing shorts around 40.
I DO wear a light insulated winter jacket in the teens and below and wear gloves until the vehicle heats up OR all the time if outside. I'm not stupid. But I take it OFF in the stores, any heated building or I start to sweat! But I will make the journey to get the mail without jacket and gloves, even in the single digits and not think a thing of it. I also wear a hat of some kind ALL THE TIME.. In summer the ventilated kind with a sweat band to keep it from dripping in my eyes, in the winter a warmer one, and in rain a wet-tolerant one.

It's all about ONE'S LEVEL OF COMFORT. What's cold gets covered, what's hot gets uncovered.

AND some people ARE "COLD TOLERANT" And others "HEAT TOLERANT". SA a former chef in restaurants {glorified line cook}, My hands are not so sensitive to heat that I cannot reach in grab something sauteeing or bubbling in fry oil! BUt...there IS a limit to what heat my fingers and hands can tolerate without burning them! ESpecially how LONG I can handle something THAT HOT. Iff you burn your hands, quickly douse in COLD water and ICE as soon as possible.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:24 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
Hypoglycemia is a blood glucose under 70, it is not prediabeties as it is the other end of the spectrum. People who get non-diabetic Hypoglycemia tend to end up as diabetic later on or might even already be pre-diabetic, but in the end of the day they are both on different ends of the spectrum (some may also have it dur to meds, its not a set you will become diabetic).

Normal A1C 5.7 or Below
Prediabeties A1C 5.7-6.4
Type Two Diabeties A1C 6.5+

If you get hypoglycemia and are in a normal a1c range, then you are not prediabetic.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:12 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm a healthy 26 year old woman, 5'11 and 125 lbs. But my hands get cold to a bothersome extent if the temp dips below 45F. I hate having to always wear gloves.

Is there any way to increase my hands' tolerance to cold? The rest of my body is fine. In fact, my average basal temp is over 99F.
Five foot eleven inches and 125 lbs? Sorry, my dear, that is NOT a healthy weight for that height. Of course you have cold hands. You probably also have fine hair growing all over your body. You may have cardiac arrhythmia, too. You haven't mentioned anything about anorexia, but dollars to donuts, oops, you've got an eating disorder.

Bring your body weight up to about 150, and you probably won't have cold hands anymore!

Old 03-01-2017, 03:47 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
For 5'11" the average 'normal' weight is 136 to 178 lbs. 125 is only slightly under-weight. Slender but not to any unhealthy extent.

I am 5'10", from age 19 until I passed 35 I weighed 130 lbs. Perfectly normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness