Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 01:50 AM

32,849 posts, read 36,161,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It is exactly thinking like this - along with the 'I'm not doing anything wrong, so why should I care?' point of view - that enables more of this technology to enter our lives.

There is something called "privacy" that trumps all of that. You don't have to be doing anything wrong. There don't have to be enough of 'them' to monitor us 24/7. The fact that the technology is in place, is enough to warrant concern. We are entitled to our privacy in this country, and it's exactly thinking like that quoted above, that leads to complacency and a lack of situational awareness. With such a mindset, consumers will not avoid purchasing those items that have the capability to spy on us. We need to spend our tech dollars wisely. Advertisers and manufacturers do pay attention. Complacency leads to more of this abuse of tech.

Even if all they collect is metadata, who says they have any right to do so?
There isn't any privacy. Not any more. I'm very boring, but I'm related to people who used to be "of interest." Still, there's nothing going on around here. I'm not on anyone's short list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 05:22 AM

7,182 posts, read 5,036,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm not on anyone's short list.
Maybe not today...but someday? Wisemen consider all possibilities.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:31 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
Quote:
There isn't any privacy. Not any more.
Another un-truth. Yes, there is. But not on the internet.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Another un-truth. Yes, there is. But not on the internet.
That was the topic.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:37 PM

8,728 posts, read 4,518,249 times
Quote:
That was the topic.
No, it isn't. From the OP:
Quote:
Do you know what the internet of things (IoT) is? Most people do not, and if you are one of them, you need to get up to speed with this. This threat to our security and privacy is massive! If you bring a smartphone, tablet, or laptop into your bedroom at night, your most private activities can be monitored. Even if these devices are "off", they can be remotely switched "on". The speakers can be activated, and the cameras turned on. One teenage boy tried to commit suicide when he discovered that the laptop issued to students at his school, and which he kept in his bedroom, had been secretly monitoring his bedroom activities.

Do you have a TV in your bedroom, or living room? If it is the type that responds to voice commands, it can record every conversation and sound in the room. Same for the Amazon Echo, where "Alexa" will respond to your spoken requests for the weather, the time, who won the Superbowl, or the recipe for salsa. Do you think that "Alexa" does not record everything else? The police do - they now want access to Echo's in the households of criminals.

They know where you sleep at night - even if it's not your "official" address. Both your smartphone and your newer vehicle give it away - even if garaged.
The thread is about our struggle for privacy, when we are not on the Internet, but when common things around our house are. (Well, not my house, I don't own many of those things, and the ones I do are, well, not working the way they were intended...)

Quote:
I'm very boring, but I'm related to people who used to be "of interest." Still, there's nothing going on around here. I'm not on anyone's short list.
That might place you with me, on what I call tier three.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
No, it isn't. From the OP:

The thread is about our struggle for privacy, when we are not on the Internet, but when common things around our house are. (Well, not my house, I don't own many of those things, and the ones I do are, well, not working the way they were intended...)

That might place you with me, on what I call tier three.
OK, I thought it was about the interweb and electronic gadgets for the most part. My mistake.

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!

Old 11-25-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
OK, I thought it was about the interweb and electronic gadgets for the most part. My mistake.
Well, to be fair, those are the things that cause us to have to struggle.
I just want to make it clear that we aren't talking about surfing habits and farcebook.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:25 PM

Just having a mailbox is a problem. You can have a PO box or mail forwarding, and they still know where you are. If you have a bank account you're dead in the water. You can send cash to a relative to pay your bills, and they'll still find you if they want to. My husband had a friend who was military, then FBI, and finally Homeland Security. I've been looking for him for a few years. I can't find him, but someone knows where he is. He's a very interesting guy.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
You can have a PO box or mail forwarding, and they still know where you are.
No, they will only know where the mail box is. They won't know if you are at home or gone shopping in the next town.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:08 AM

7,487 posts, read 10,460,988 times
Quote:
Just having a mailbox is a problem. You can have a PO box or mail forwarding, and they still know where you are. If you have a bank account you're dead in the water. You can send cash to a relative to pay your bills, and they'll still find you if they want to. My husband had a friend who was military, then FBI, and finally Homeland Security. I've been looking for him for a few years. I can't find him, but someone knows where he is. He's a very interesting guy.
They know where you are because you own your house or rent your apartment in your own name. You put your utilities in your own name. To rent a PO Box, you need to show proof of street address. Ditto for a UPS store mailbox, or a storage unit. And if you get packages at home from UPS or FedEx, you're on a public list. A bank can be less of a problem. Even drivers licenses now have to be mailed to a street address, not a PO box. All of these things generate a public record, and internet brokers make money by collecting your info from public records.

There are ways around all this, and your Homeland Security friend likely knows some of them. I am still discovering more of them. Nobody knows where I sleep at night. Even if they follow my truck tags via satellite, the truck is not registrered in my name. The property is not in my name, nor the propane service. My mail is addressed to a business in Florida, who mails it to a business in 4 other states. I'm giving you a hint right there - live your life as a business. Own nothing, control everything.

All that said, you STILL don't need to invite Alexa or Rhoomba into your home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness