Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 01:23 PM

169 posts, read 134,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If you have $50K in savings you should be fine. Arizona is a low COL state. My brother lives in Phoenix , so I'm not sure why you shouldn't be able to find a small apartment or even try a studio or mobile home. You can also buy a "Tiny house" for as little as $15k and it will then be paid in full so you wouldn't need to worry about rent. If you have a truck you can move it (they attach like a trailer) and take it anywhere with you!
Yap. I have been obsessing on this one for the longest time. I told my husband to build me one. LOL. OR a yurt. Since you have free time, maybe you build it yourself, OP. Tiny house will really free your from mortgage and utilities.

I just don't like that show tiny luxury. I can't believe STUPID people pay 100k minimum for a 250 sq ft house?! First of all, they lose the REAL concept of tiny house living which is freedom from mortgage! AND!! why would you spend 100K on a 250 sq ft house when you can own a BIG house and LOT for same price? Really **** me off everytime I watch that stupid show with stupid pretentious people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
If you have anxiety issues but good customer service skills and don't need a big salary then I would also look into work from home customer service jobs. They are out there and while they don't pay great, they have value for people who are good at their jobs but the coworkers situation is a source of stress.\
Yap and once you build your tiny house, and got yourself work from home customer service/call center job. You can live the life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 04:47 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,609,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
That particular poster, movintime, has shown interest in the "American Redoubt" states, specifically Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. When he says "head North", that's what I presume he means, not the 4 corner states.
Ha, Maine, Idaho, Montana & WV.. yes WV, are my 4 "corners". Haha, Nor, you're right thow/ re Amer. Redoubt vs Maine -- & WV -- only since I went to college yrs ago there & did enjoy the area as warmer summers than all others I mentioned.

But I know TN is where you have your other place (vs Maine) & warmth, growing season, etc. are quite good there as hardiness zones beat even WV. However, TN has other probs as you know.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:43 PM

55 posts, read 77,343 times
I appreciate all the feedback. Never imagined this many responses. But, a few additional things I'd like to clarify (and reiterate):

* I have absolutely NO intention of getting back into a callcenter environment. I've done ticket and inbound e-mail customer service before (which I didn't mind) but stuff like that is hard to come by nowadays, and with the advent of automation, I expect all telecom support to go down the same path. This is not a phase - returning to where I came from is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

* When I said 'on the road', I didn't mean a permanent life of car living. More along the lines of a "reconnaissance drive" from city to city if I'm left by no plan later this year. (Plan, meaning a new line of work and a cheaper place to live in the Phx area.)

* Taking community college courses (or working towards a trade certificate) is not off the table, but I also don't want to put myself in a deficit I can't escape from, especially since I began with a surplus. Once my money is gone, it's gone. There's no asking friends or family members for help.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
However, TN has other probs as you know.
The part of TN where we are, has no problems that I know of. Rural, agricultural, low population density, nice lake for fishing...what else could a guy ask for???

Oh yeah, I forgot - it's too danged HOT for me in the summertime!

Old 03-03-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The part of TN where we are, has no problems that I know of. Rural, agricultural, low population density, nice lake for fishing...what else could a guy ask for???

Oh yeah, I forgot - it's too danged HOT for me in the summertime!
Yep, there are rural areas far from Knoxville (my most knowledgeable area) & thru to Nashville & Memphis that have much less problems than nearer those cities. If near I-55 & I-40 corridors tho, there's lotsa trouble from buddies I knew in TN when I went to WVU yrs ago. I assume worse now, but you are in better areas so my bad re ALL of TN being a mess crime-wise & drug issues. I'd pick KY over TN but WV over both, as familiar w/ it, tho it has TONS of probs in southern to southwest latitudes.

Hey, I need rep you as have been off & on here but of late haven't had time to be on much. Ok, good seeing ya.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
Did you apply for unemployement?
Did you see a doctor for depression and possibly open a workers comp claim for depression?

Look at your options before making a major lifestyle change, living in a car is close to homelessness.

As far as other employement, you can find jobs where your skills can cross over, re evaluate what you can get into now, with out the HS and talking all day.

Good luck

Old 03-03-2017, 10:45 PM

876 posts, read 812,782 times
Saving up cash was something that showed you do plan for the long term, but on your terms as much as possible. Having financial discipline is the easiest way to stretch a dollar, the money you don't spend goes right into an account for future use.

I couldn't take staying in a corporate job for the rest of my working life, it just seemed like an alternate reality that I couldn't interact with . The endless birthday cakes, Christmas parties, seeing people come and go, and dealing with office politics drove me bananas. I've taken probably three years off over 20 years just to try to enjoy some time off to enjoy the local trails and other diversions.

You are in a better place then the thread title would suggest. You might have enough cash to consider finding a place where land is inexpensive enough, where the climate would support subsistence farming, and where zoning laws that would allow you to live on the lot while your house is being built. Also, one that wouldn't have restrictive building codes so you could build an earth berm or straw bale house, or other energy efficient structure. You could probably have the house built within a year. If you want to live really frugally that seems like the only way to eliminate your biggest monthly expense. Then you won't have to work in an office sweatshop or do anything where you don't have to dread the next day.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisciplesOfTheWatch View Post
A complex situation of sorts:

Last week I walked out of my job after nearly fifteen years of working in the same industry (callcenter / customer care). While this sounds like an imprudent move without anything lined up, that's also part of the underlying problem: I'm worn and burned out with this line of work from the PONR. Anyone who suffers from chronic anxiety and insomnia will attest to what day-to-day life consists of: For the past 12 months, it's just gotten completely unbearable.

Money, for now, is not a problem per se. However, when my lease expires by the end of the year I don't plan on renewing it. Rent inflation has gone through the roof in my area and if I stay in the same place any longer it's just gonna eat away at my (already dwindling) savings.

Without a new job plan (I can't see what else someone like me can get that doesn't involve an ear and mouth piece) I anticipate being 'on the road' for an undetermined period of time until I have something worked out. I have no family support (pop's deceased, mum's a narcissistic conspiracy theorist) and my few "friendly" contacts have been both indifferent and unhelpful. I was lucky enough to reach a university friend of my pop's for permission to use a temporary forwarding address.

I've read a bit about car living so far (e.g., the gym memberships for wellness/hygiene, using stripmall parking lots to sleep, etc.) but any suggestion that applies to the above would be appreciated.
DofTheW, I'll get back to ya on here soon.

I'm in Tucson metro, & you in Phx metro, but it'd be interesting to see your ideas as time goes on. I'm not much for travel in AZ but you need think of heading way north thru Flagstaff, etc. Page is a dump but Utah works. I think western Colo. too.

Ok, more when I get time...

Old 03-06-2017, 08:44 PM

55 posts, read 77,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
DofTheW, I'll get back to ya on here soon.

I'm in Tucson metro, & you in Phx metro, but it'd be interesting to see your ideas as time goes on. I'm not much for travel in AZ but you need think of heading way north thru Flagstaff, etc. Page is a dump but Utah works. I think western Colo. too.

Ok, more when I get time...
Funny, I used to live in Tucson... Winter Haven, to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness