Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:50 AM

19,028 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The less populated areas along rivers often are that way because they are flood plains but they have the richest, most fertile soils. You need to take precautions and have a backup plan. Many people become complacent if it hasn't flooded in 50 years and end up homeless when it does.
Floodplains are great sites for dual ring villages - in essence two circular structures, one within the other. The external barrier wall would be the functional equivalent of a 40 to 50 ft high levee.
Intrinsic flood protection - assuming that the DRV is built with very thick exterior barrier walls (2 meters), 5 stories high (15 meters) and have a watertight double gateway. A cluster of ring villages have redundancy. In the event of a single levee breach, each DRV would become an island of safety... a double island (two rings).

These circular buildings offer many engineering benefits - increased strength, economy, reduced material, and resistance to side forces. The dual ring creates a circular main street, between the two rings, and the central area can be whatever the Ringers want - a park, a pasture, a nature preserve, country club and so on. This juxtaposition of an urban environment of mixed use enterprise and dwellings, next to a substantial park is ideal. No matter where one lives, one is but a short distance from one’s vocation, shopping, entertainment, recreation and nature. In addition, the DRV can utilize its rooftop as a garden, safe from pesky intruders at ground level.

The spacing between rings can be narrow - only one lane wide or expansive enough for a parade to march through or a procession to pass. The ring buildings can have continuous balconies that offer ease of movement around each level - a "French Quarter" feel. The choice is up to the Ringers, themselves, to determine what kind of main street environment that they want. Ditto, for the overall size.

The Dual Ring Village [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ring_life] is a solution that offers many intrinsic benefits. It provides energy efficient shelter (minimal surface exposure) and the mixed use infrastructure to reduce the pressure to have an automobile. High population density meshes well with rail transport. And in rural villages, the less land consumed by human habitat, the more is available for agriculture or wildlife habitat.

The Dual Ring Village can be sized and constructed to be disaster resistant against wind, water, earthquake, fire, flying debris, storm surge, and even predators - two or four legged. The curved walls consume less resources while providing superior load bearing characteristics. The flat roofs can be gardens. The inner arcades and loggias can be festooned with planters. The central park can be whatever the Ringers desire - a natural park - a playground - a garden - a zoological enclave.

The dual ring village is one of the better solutions to deal with the changing conditions of the 21st century.
= = =
Historical reference

Chinese Hakka Tulou represent a similar functional design:
Clan homes in Fujian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 08:16 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
But during the summer, doesn't it get quite hot, as I recall you mentioning previously? Seems I got the idea somehow, that yours was a land of extremes...that it got into the high 90s or even 100 during the summer. Could be wrong.

I have been in negative temps many times without much discomfort. It ususally gets to minus 15 or 20 during our Maine winters. But the summers rarely hit 90, and then for not more than a few days at a time. That's about when I get the air conditioner put into the kitchen window!

You are correct. July-August we can hit 100, and get stuck there, but the 90's are more common, and it can be that way for a couple months. We don't get much rain during the summer to cool off either, and if we do get storms, lots of times it's heat lightning and hail.
Still, with as much cold as we have, if you're adapted to surviving cold, even 90 degrees is really miserably hot.
Got a touch of heat exhaustion 2 years ago working in the hayfields. Doesn't take much for a critter that thinks 40 degrees is balmy to sizzle like a lizard on blacktop at 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Exactly what im getting at. Now does the dry temps make much of a difference in Mt, i know dry heat is much more standable as i have been in the south-east and south-west during august, and the latter i can stand pretty well (when it was the 100-110 range out west i could deal, but i could only handle 90-100 out east). Does the dryness work the same in the cold?

It feels like standing in an oven or a dry sauna instead of a steam bath.

I would agree our lack of humidity makes it easier to handle extremes of hot and cold, but if you're out in an open prairie or hayfield when it's hot with no breath of air, you feel like an ant under a magnifying glass. At our elevation the atmosphere doesn't filter as much lot of the suns rays as lower elevations because it's a lot thinner blanket, so you can get some really vicious sunburns really quickly if you aren't careful.

While my work house is pretty low elevation at about 4200 feet, the ranch at 5000 feet, if you go up in elevation you can drop temperature pretty quick, so when it's 95+ at the work house or 90 at the ranch, if I go to the cabin at 6500, it's a tolerable 70-75.
Since there isn't any moisture in the air, the temps drop rapidly at night too so you can loose 30 degrees in a matter of an hour or so, which makes sleeping at night a lot easier with the cool, but it also makes hypothermia a threat if you get heated up hiking or working, and the sun starts going down and you get a breeze, you can chill rapidly.

If it wasn't for the tornadoes, hailstorms, floods and humidity as well as the population numbers, I would seriously consider looking at land in the Midwest, but this is where I'm adapted to live, and the roots go way back here, so here I'll stay.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
Well now i know i could adapt to the summers. The winters however is are a whole other ball game.

As well i think the midwest might be better than the deep south, both get alot of the same diasasters, but hurricanes are more of an issue in georgia than minnesota.

Also it is off topic, and im sorry if you view this as intrusion, but what industry is your buisness in, as i know a ranch, home, and camp in montana is not going to be cheap, especially if the first is atleast 640 acres, seeing most figures thrown around the MT forums for house costs range in a zone similar to MA (with not much land), a camp is probally cheaper if in a non-desirable area (highly remote), but i am also under the impression most ranches and farms would cost alot of money for land and water rights.

Last edited by TheKezarWoodsman; 03-09-2017 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Got a touch of heat exhaustion 2 years ago working in the hayfields. Doesn't take much for a critter that thinks 40 degrees is balmy to sizzle like a lizard on blacktop at 80.
Thats why i dont recomend heat/ac unless heavily needed in fall/spring, if you spend more time outside in the hot or cold you adjust quicker. I know people who need heat if its 50 degrees in winter here (such as the other week), where-as in the middle of winter i am fine without a coat untill the mid twenties if i am just bumming about (add a hat if it is windy). In regard to extreme cold for the area it was -15 in december, i ended up throwing on some synthetic long johns and a thermal shirt (neither was overly thick) under my usual wear and was not overly cold (i was uncomfortably cold, but it was manageable enough).

In summer it mat be 70-80 degrees out and others find it hot (that is about average in summer), where-as if i am not overly exerting myself i am fine wearing long pants and a short sleeved shirt).

On the other hand lack of climate control is not very good, as im already adjusting to warmer temperatures, and we are supposed to be getting up to a foot of snow next week.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
.... i am fine without a coat untill the mid twenties if i am just bumming about ....In summer it mat be 70-80 degrees out and others find it hot (that is about average in summer), where-as if i am not overly exerting myself i am fine wearing long pants and a short sleeved shirt).
You make me laugh!

You remind me of my brother, who at 67 is still in short sleeves all winter! He goes from his heated home to his heated car to his daughter's heated house - and calls it good. One of these days, that old car of his is going to break down, and I pray it doesn't happen in winter.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:01 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Well now i know i could adapt to the summers. The winters however is are a whole other ball game.

As well i think the midwest might be better than the deep south, both get alot of the same diasasters, but hurricanes are more of an issue in georgia than minnesota.

Also it is off topic, and im sorry if you view this as intrusion, but what industry is your buisness in, as i know a ranch, home, and camp in montana is not going to be cheap, especially if the first is atleast 640 acres, seeing most figures thrown around the MT forums for house costs range in a zone similar to MA (with not much land), a camp is probally cheaper if in a non-desirable area (highly remote), but i am also under the impression most ranches and farms would cost alot of money for land and water rights.
My work mainly deals with Business Law, but I also am founder and co-owner of another corporation and I ranch and blacksmith on the side.
The cabin and the ranch are both on property that my parent's bought back in the 1960's, and I bought from them, so while it's a great deal for them, I didn't pay subdivision prices either.

Land does cost a lot of money here depending on where you are. The west side of the state is high rent district because of the mountains and scenery and the movies that have been shot here like River Runs Through it.

But the more land you buy, the cheaper per acre cost if you're outside of the areas where it's trendy for the outsiders to buy and subdivide for their 8000 square foot "cabin" on 20 acres.
Land around Bozeman for example can be as much or more than 30K/acre for irrigated farm ground.
If you're out around Jordan or Circle, you could get decent dry land ground for around $800 - $1000/acre.

Where the cabin is, I have a small 160 acre piece that is our summer pasture and it's heavily forested, so that's where we log and have the sawmill.
Dad bought it in 1960 for $12,000, but there are subdivisions closing in on it now, some are only a mile away, and we've been offered as much as $4.6 mil for it, but we need the ground so we're keeping it.

Water rights are a WHOLE 'nother kettle of fish.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:13 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Very good posts so far.

My point re what I'm "tryin" to do yet but seem ultra-confused is -- trying to find the warmest yet safest, yet most fertile, yet least air/water polluted, yet cost efficient, yet realistic w/ low housing costs, etc. place to relocate -- after living in this AZ dump of Tucson's metro. Don't get me wrong as when I go to stores, etc. here & see/talk w/ snowbirds, they seem to love it here. But... a HUGE caveat is... they DO NOT live in AZ yr round nor care to do so. I unfortunately, have had a decade plus of pleasure here. For those loving it, so be it, but for us it is a no go. Don't get me wrong, w/ the right mindset I see why folks like it but it ain't for us.

Being originally from the east coast, I can't really ever find ways to adjust here. I have a lone sis in Cali & no other siblings, as folks passed in FL yrs ago, thus have no reason to stay out west. That said, my SO has folks now retired in FL, as were mine, & would like closeness to them. I'd go there but hate FL w/ bugs, crime, etc. You all offer excellent advice to those -- w/ tons of relocate cash & youth to do it. Being past 50 now, it isn't easy to roam the US.

Ok, enough bad tidings but the Applachian Redoubt of TN & KY, & western NC/SC, seem logical as to avoid a SHTF meltdown should folks migrate westward from coasts. The reason it is best is w/ the HUGE population centers of east coast, all migrants will get so far as the mountains -- & suddenly it ain't so much fun to traverse -- especially should an EMP or such wipeout computers & vehicles, & thus horses & foot travel a' la 1800s becomes the mode of transport. Yes, far-reaching say most but should it occur, ha, who'll be laughing then -- those prepared or those still driving computerized cars rather than pre-1980s carburetor models.

Ok, just wanted to join back in as passing thru today but keep up very good work y'all.

UPDATE: Quick additional addendum; grew up in PA & NY mostly. Dad moved alot due to engineer job. I favor the east as it is familiar. But in AZ I see rates of disease (cancers, heart, diabetes) are less. But east coast has my heart. West my wallet -- to a degree. So, anyone help sum up where'd best to go?

Maine was a school I attended & WV was the other. I had a sis in Colo., then she to KC & then to San diego now. She was an AF captain. So, AZ worked til folks passed -- & sis is still out west -- but we miss east. If I could find a decent tiny, if needed, home/homestead & had optimum weather -- & low crime should SHTF -- & low cancer/heart dis. rates, it'd work.

Ha, finding this is impossible. It is a needle in haystack. I worked as a kid at a JC Penney back east yrs ago in late 70s/early80s, & my since passed GREAT boss/mentor/friend (I miss him alot) always said, "lad go where your heart is & he who hesitates loses". God Bless you as you RIP -- but I really need your advice nowadays.

Last edited by movintime; 03-09-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 07:08 PM

Trigger warning, this post deals with innacurrate stereotypes...

i would suggest the north-cental western south east, or the lower midwest if warmth is an overly large factor (as to far south has snow-birds and many states such as arkansas tend to have a "redneck/racist" viewpoint, which is enough to make people i know who would love to move south avoid those states at all costs. Sometimes stereotypes may be worth keeping).

Another example of that is how most people i know have stereotypes of mainers (north of bangor) being overly dirty uneducated people due to just plan popular culture and want to know why in the hell i like the region where apparently no-one has teeth (if i remember correctly there was even a post in the maine forum about this), the region i can deal with the dirty uneducate maine folk, is becuase while the stereotype may be true to a tiny degree (fueled by idiots launching fireworks off their heads), i know it is no-where as common as it is made out to be.

You would be suprised at the innacuracies i have heard about the rockies and alaska, sometimes reality television makes people not want to move places. For instance out here its a common belief that WY (not west virgina, but the redoubt state of wyoming which was not even around) fought for the confederates....

Old 03-09-2017, 07:12 PM

Also not sure if any horse riders here, but with the exception of the thinner forests and praries out west, how could you ride a horse through the thick bush filled forests out east if not on a trail if there is alot of snow like in maine you could dog sled over the bushes as snow is covering them and around trees, but what the hell do you do if the forest is thick, or even if you need to go somewhere quickly.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
My work mainly deals with Business Law, but I also am founder and co-owner of another corporation and I ranch and blacksmith on the side.
The cabin and the ranch are both on property that my parent's bought back in the 1960's, and I bought from them, so while it's a great deal for them, I didn't pay subdivision prices either.

Land does cost a lot of money here depending on where you are. The west side of the state is high rent district because of the mountains and scenery and the movies that have been shot here like River Runs Through it.

But the more land you buy, the cheaper per acre cost if you're outside of the areas where it's trendy for the outsiders to buy and subdivide for their 8000 square foot "cabin" on 20 acres.
Land around Bozeman for example can be as much or more than 30K/acre for irrigated farm ground.
If you're out around Jordan or Circle, you could get decent dry land ground for around $800 - $1000/acre.

Where the cabin is, I have a small 160 acre piece that is our summer pasture and it's heavily forested, so that's where we log and have the sawmill.
Dad bought it in 1960 for $12,000, but there are subdivisions closing in on it now, some are only a mile away, and we've been offered as much as $4.6 mil for it, but we need the ground so we're keeping it.

Water rights are a WHOLE 'nother kettle of fish.
This is what i have always found as the major turn-off for relocation out west, temperature and everything i feel as if i could adjust to (besides droughts), but costs will keep rising, and i am guessing that to be self suffienct you would need atleast a quarter section of land or more during a heavy drought, where one could probally get by on 40-80 acres out east (assuming a more conventional farming approach).

And to refer to maine, the reason im not to sure there is its increasing liberalzation. This will only increase due to the northern and southern regions population trends. A good example of proof for this would be the ballot questions in the last few years.

But hey, no matter where i end up it will be better than my current location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness