Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 PM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How physically fit does a mother or father need to be to physically carry the average 1-year-old child (22 pounds) long distances without a stroller? Are most American parents too out of shape to do it without getting exhausted? What about older kids, who still will tire when walking very long distances? A 3-year-old typically weighs more than 30 pounds. If a parent or parents must travel several miles with a child, can most American fathers or mothers handle the inevitable "Mommy hold me" and "Daddy hold me"?

What if they have to run rather than walking? During a time of conflict that may arise, how limiting is the transportation of babies and young children? Should preppers try to get more physically fit for this reason than otherwise?

Also, what if there are multiple children? Let's say you have a newborn and a 2-year-old. What happens?
What's a long distance? Five miles? Twenty? What sort of terrain? I don't know how many parents are too out of shape too carry their kids.

I experienced many episodes of "Mommy, my legs are tired." That's when you use the hip carry. https://thegreennursery.com/tgnblog/ergo-back-carry/ First picture.

There are carriers for all sizes and weights. I had the newborn carrier, older baby carrier, and toddler carrier with lumbar support. That came in very handy when I had to deal with crowds and a lot of steps and escalators. Running? It depends on the size and weight of the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 630 times
Look into soft structured carriers (like Kinderpack, ergo, Tula, boba, etc). They can go on the front or back. A Kinderpack has one size that is called a preschool and I once put my petite 7yo in, no prob. Obviously, small children carry easily. Being ridiculously fit isn't required. A tiny baby Carey's best in a ring sling or woven wrap (like what is used in Africa and Asia).

Old 04-23-2017, 01:08 PM

14,667 posts, read 14,769,468 times
Invent your own travois on 2 wheels. For example:

http://images.epals.com/Smithsonian/...ois225x150.gif

Old 05-02-2017, 11:09 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,370,054 times
This way :

Old 05-02-2017, 11:19 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,147,923 times
Wasn't there someone here, who suggested I wasn't prepared b/c I had children?

Anyways, I carry my smallest on my shoulders. If it was worse case as mentioned here, I can hope it is winter, then they would get dragged in a sled.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:09 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,411,386 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness