Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:32 AM

37,440 posts, read 61,346,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
I like things simple. Phones that make calls, and that's all. Cars that go where I drive them, and that's all. Not real happy about the direction things are heading, and studying hard on how to stay in the past... Won't be seeing me in some self-driving Prius. Or a Prius at all, for that matter...
It is nice driving and not being so dependent on gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 10:35 AM

37,440 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
They will ban cash and accomplish this... it's in the works. Will be done under the guise of fighting terrorism but it's about controlling us surfs and taxpayers to feed the beast.
You are right. Though there are groups who admonish draining the beast, instead of feeding it.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:50 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Let's look at the near future, a time when driverless cars have become the norm in most areas of the country. We're currently seeing a strong push for this among liberal elites who have an intense dislike for private cars—to put it mildly. What restrictions can be expected? Will cars that visit certain places be recorded? Will they simply shut off when too close to a gun show, a politically incorrect church, or a restaurant that serves fried foods? There are plenty of people who would love rules of this sort; they would likely be the people who would seek employment in the government agencies that make and implement these rules.

Driverless Cars A Threat To Personal Privacy?
Well, first of all, I very much doubt that a brave new world where the only cars are driverless ones is still quite a way off - probably all the way off to never-never land. I live in a remote rural area in the Mountain West, and a riderless car here would probably drive itself off a cliff or get stuck in mud over the hubs on some back 4wd road. I was amused when a near-by National Monument put a warning on its website that visitors should not count on the info given on those fancy new GPS that come with every new car these days. Apparently, on board GPS's were sending people down creek beds and didn't give the correct names for local landmarks. I have an old handheld GPS that I keep in my glove box along with a set of fresh batteries. I carry a book of 15 minute geologic quads for where ever I may be and when I want to figure out where I am, I insert the batteries and place the GPS on the hood of my truck so it can track the satellites to give me my latitude and longitude. I find my location on the quad, take out my GPS batteries, and I'm off again with no one the wiser.

I'm most concerned with the data my computer and the Internet may be collecting on me. I often follow the suggestions given at [url="http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-tech/how-to-surf-the-web-anonymously.htm#mkcpgn=em6"]How to Surf the Web Anonymously

I worry more about Homeland Security and the DEA than I am "liberals." We have lost more freedom due to the "war on terror" and the "war on drugs" than we have ever before in our history. I'm a liberal and believe me, I couldn't care less if someone wants to eat a french fry or attend the Apocalyptical Church of Fundamentalist Hellfire and Damnation. If someone wants to indulge in a diet that brings on their early demise or waste a lovely Sunday morning being screamed at that we're all going to hell, fine by me. That just means fewer people to come across in the backcountry. Their loss, my gain.

I do want to avoid government scrutiny of any flavor, be it right or left. If I happen to feel like watching CNN or going down the road for a chat with an acquaintance who is a farm worker from Mexico (has worked on the ranch next to where I live for 30 years) or check out a book on climate science from the library, that's MY business. It's also MY business if I want to inspect the shotguns at a local gun show. Neither the government or anyone else is entitled to that information. That's part of the reason that I live where I do. It's much easier to fly under the radar out here.

Snooping on the part of big government is our true enemy. Members of EITHER political party who want to deny us our Constitutional rights are fools who sow the wind and reap the whirlwind. Out here we talk about crops and water shares and ways to repair trucks and irrigation lines, not politics; and we all get along just fine. And I haven't seen a single driverless car out here yet.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:34 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times
Govt control, control, control, control, & did I say... more control? Stalin is live & well, & moving to this country -- & our way day by day. My grandad warned this over 30 yrs ago when I was young -- ha, now I see it unfolding & I'm sure he's rolling in his grave. Thx Pops, for the heads up.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
. Out here we talk about crops and water shares and ways to repair trucks and irrigation lines, not politics; and we all get along just fine. And I haven't seen a single driverless car out here yet.
I bet that you once said the same about cellphones. The transmission technology is very similar.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:21 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
We will all be good slaves and hop in our new driverless cars and we will love them and want more. We will wonder why anyone ever drove themselves or why they would even want to. Our newly implanted smart phones inside of our brains will automatically connect to the car so it will know where we want to go even if we don't.

You can try to resist and avoid it the best you can, but it's coming and you can't stop it.

Brave new world aside , I wish the smart people that think of and invent this driverless car stuff all day long would actually use their brain power and create something useful. Like an affordable electric or non gas powered car that actually works. Or a human flying drone transportation thingamajig.

I thought America did epic, cool and innovative s***, like put people on the moon, create nuclear bombs and invent fast food. Now the best we can come up with is driverless cars? We've lost our edge.

When the time does come, I'll happily sign up and lease my federally mandated and issued electric driverless car for 84 months for the low price of only $499 a month like a good little slave.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
When the time does come, I'll happily sign up and lease my federally mandated and issued electric driverless car for 84 months for the low price of only $499 a month like a good little slave.
The hell I will!!

Old 07-04-2017, 10:53 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times
As long as I can keep my 1967 International Scout going, and the fact I do a lot of driving on very unimproved roads, the feds are going to have some problems tracking my movements. They will have to task a drone to keep an eye on me.

Then, if that doesn't work, I have horses, draft cattle and dogs that can move me and my supplies.

In a practical demonstration of people dumb enough to want a driverless car I can offer the following example.
Last winter there was a blizzard that shut down the highway, I-90. Instead of just waiting for a couple hours for conditions to improve, there were a bunch of idiots that thought that the weather couldn't possibility effect someone as important as they were, technology had to be able to override Mother Nature, and the GPS sent all those dumb enough to believe down an "alternate route", which was an old gravel road, not plowed. It was funny to me seeing all those semis and fancy cars buried in snow on a road that's hard on 4x4 pickups in good conditions.
Apparently, there are people too stupid to believe their eyes, and will put unquestioned faith in a computer instead.

Driverless cars may have one benefit, getting rid of a bunch of Darwin Award winners so they quit clogging up the gene pool.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:31 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
As long as I can keep my 1967 International Scout going, and the fact I do a lot of driving on very unimproved roads, the feds are going to have some problems tracking my movements. They will have to task a drone to keep an eye on me.

Then, if that doesn't work, I have horses, draft cattle and dogs that can move me and my supplies.

In a practical demonstration of people dumb enough to want a driverless car I can offer the following example.
Last winter there was a blizzard that shut down the highway, I-90. Instead of just waiting for a couple hours for conditions to improve, there were a bunch of idiots that thought that the weather couldn't possibility effect someone as important as they were, technology had to be able to override Mother Nature, and the GPS sent all those dumb enough to believe down an "alternate route", which was an old gravel road, not plowed. It was funny to me seeing all those semis and fancy cars buried in snow on a road that's hard on 4x4 pickups in good conditions.
Apparently, there are people too stupid to believe their eyes, and will put unquestioned faith in a computer instead.

Driverless cars may have one benefit, getting rid of a bunch of Darwin Award winners so they quit clogging up the gene pool.
And then there was the Wisconsin couple who followed their GPS out the NE entrance of Yellowstone back in October of '13(?). Followed it right past Cooke City, up the Beartooth Hwy. to about 10,000 Ft. ASL, and got stuck in a blinding snowstorm... A local overheard some folks in the store talking about the couple three days later, and rode up there on his snowmobile to check it out. Found the couple nearly frozen, and hauled them out. Apparently, their GPS failed to tell them the road closes in September. As I recall, a hotel and restaurant in Red Lodge or Cody, can't remember which, put them up for free and maybe even paid for them a rental car to get home. Should have told them how lucky they were, charged them double for everything, and sent them a bill for transport off the mountain... Make sure they never came back, and went back home to tell everyone how inhospitable the west was. I would have paid to see that traffic jam on the "alternate route".

Old 07-04-2017, 01:24 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,572,193 times
I forgot about that one, but it does happen. GPS doesn't know the difference between a highway and a 2 track goat trail, and if people aren't smart enough to look at the road and see it isn't something their hybrid POS can handle, they should be smart enough to just turn around.

My job issued me one of those Prius things to take to Missoula in April, 3 years ago. There was a minor, (by Montana standards), snowstorm while I was going up Mac Pass. Damn thing was underpowered for the grade, and the ass-end wouldn't track the front end. I managed to crawl over the pass, give my class, and crawl back over the pass home.

I turned it back in, and I never want to get in one of those again. My Scout only has a 76 horsepower 4 cylinder engine, and it's many times better than that car was.
Yeah, they make good mileage on dry, paved, well maintained roads, too bad there aren't a lot of those in Montana that go anyplace interesting.

One good thing is, a lot of places in Montana don't even have cell service, I don't think the new driverless cars will even work here, let alone track your movements, away from your garage anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness