Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:42 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think all this is going to depend on what you are doing and what climate you are doing it in. If you are hiking vigorously through a jungle, you are really going to need some sort of wash of at least arm pits, crotch, and feet, just about daily. If you are in a cool, dry climate and not doing anything strenuous, you can go several days without much of a bath and not get too funky.

At least having 2 pairs of socks, and alternating days with them, let them dry out, maybe hang them on your pack, will help avoid foot problems.
It really does depend upon the weather. Cool to cold would be more difficult for me. You can still sweat, but have to take it off to dry it.

Tall, thin, and...your feet are cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 04:55 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
A C-D member has talked about cleansing her face with oil, so I tried it a couple of weeks ago. I really liked the result.
Cleopatra is said to have taken milk baths. How about giving that a test ride and report back to us?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
It really does depend upon the weather. Cool to cold would be more difficult for me. You can still sweat, but have to take it off to dry it.

Tall, thin, and...your feet are cold!
Having grown up in the humid, sweaty South, I learned early how to move at a relaxed pace to at least limit sweating. Hiking in to a camp, I strongly prefer to maintain that relaxed pace so I don't arrive funky already, with nothing but an ice-cold stream or lake to try to clean up with.

You are right that your sleeping bag, underwear, etc. need to be aired out to dry even in quite cold weather.

I have always tended to have cold feet too. Years ago bought a set of heavy insulated Canadian made boots, that settled that. These are way too hot until about 20F or colder outside.

I think it was Layne Simpson who pointed out in one or another gun-zine I take that a tight belt can restrict lower body circulation, so go with suspenders in cold weather.

Out in the woods, take care of your feet, or you won't have a good time doing whatever it is you are doing out there. I'll cheap out on something else to have really good boots and socks.

As the Russian proverb goes: "There is no bad weather, there is only inadequate clothing."

Old 08-29-2017, 12:47 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times
If you're using bar soap, you're using fat to clean your body anyway. Soap has traditionally always had animal fat in it.

But I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious solution. Your diet. What comes out is a reflection of what goes in. That includes odor. Your entire body is covered with bacteria, not just the armpits (which are supposed to sweat).

The fact is, a plant-based diet acts as a natural body deodorizer because that's what chlorophyll and other phytonutrients do. It's internal deodorant.

I could go further into it but that's not the point of this thread. Those who want to know more will search it out for themselves. And no, I don't eat a plant-based diet myself, although I'm getting there more and more each day.

So, if you don't want to switch to a plant-based diet, start taking chlorophyll juice/supplements. You'll be surprised at the results.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:30 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Having grown up in the humid, sweaty South, I learned early how to move at a relaxed pace to at least limit sweating. Hiking in to a camp, I strongly prefer to maintain that relaxed pace so I don't arrive funky already, with nothing but an ice-cold stream or lake to try to clean up with.

You are right that your sleeping bag, underwear, etc. need to be aired out to dry even in quite cold weather.

I have always tended to have cold feet too. Years ago bought a set of heavy insulated Canadian made boots, that settled that. These are way too hot until about 20F or colder outside.

I think it was Layne Simpson who pointed out in one or another gun-zine I take that a tight belt can restrict lower body circulation, so go with suspenders in cold weather.

Out in the woods, take care of your feet, or you won't have a good time doing whatever it is you are doing out there. I'll cheap out on something else to have really good boots and socks.

As the Russian proverb goes: "There is no bad weather, there is only inadequate clothing."
I lived down South for a while, so I know what you mean about moving more slowly when you have to be outside. Only, "Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun".

I wasn't completely unprepared. I grew up in a river valley in PA. Late spring and summer could be quite hot and humid, but it wasn't like the South.

A few health disorders have exacerbated my increasing intolerance of the cold. Still, I do the best I can.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:30 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
A C-D member has talked about cleansing her face with oil, so I tried it a couple of weeks ago. I really liked the result.
I've been using oil for years. Currently Exquisite Stuff Cleansing Oil. They make a few different kinds but these are the ingredients in mine:

Materials: hexane free organic castor oil, organic sesame oil, organic apricot kernel oil, organic avocado oil, organic argan oil, organic ylang ylang essential oil, natural vitamin E oil

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1115201...nsing-oil-with

Old 10-15-2017, 03:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
I was just wondering if it's possible to smell as clean from a shower by just washing up and or not even using water. Is there a way to make a sort of soap equivalent. ***
Before the invention of soap, people used sweat lodges/saunas and scrapers to clean their skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness