Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 06:25 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
24-36 watts would probably be easier than walking and would power a family's worth of gadgets with only a couple hours pedaling.
36 Watts is more than walking, but for most people who are fit, it is doable.

That equates to a couple of AA batteries every hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Not really. But at least you will be in good shape! Cardio IS important!
Yes, it is. OTOH, most people are going to get so much exercise if we go grid down, that we expect a substantial percent of them to achieve permanent cardiac arrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Bike powered electricity generators are not sustainable - LOW-TECH MAGAZINE

"Bike powered electricity generators are not sustainable"

Old 08-10-2017, 04:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Now, I'm thinking about this, and wondering what is the point? Seems much easier to me to just plug those electronics in to a wall socket.

If you are thinking for SHTF powering, I doubt if the internet and cell towers would work anyway. If they did, a small 15 or 20 watt folding solar panel would make more sense. But then, if the cell towers are working, the grid would be "up", and you could just plug in your devices.

If SHTF, there will be more to worry about than burying your nose in a smart phone....
Just for example, I was out of power and water for 10 days once after a hurricane. So not necessarily a SHTF scenario.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:36 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Just for example, I was out of power and water for 10 days once after a hurricane. So not necessarily a SHTF scenario.
Absolute best thing for a hurricane outage is a small generator, say 2000w, or even 1000w. There are some nice ones, like the Champion. Top of the line is a Honda, but if you only use it once in a blue moon, you might not want to spring for that.

Second best (for electronics only) would be the small folding solar panels used by backpackers. They come in sizes like 14w, 20w, 21w. Pair it up with a small battery pack of 10,000 to 20,000 mAh, and you can keep everything charged. Anker and Goal Zero make nice ones.

I can't see where a bike or a handcrank will help you.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:52 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I read a good thing for almost anyone to have is something that will generate enough power to do simple things like phones or a computer. Do you have something human powered that will do this? I read about generators that can be hand cranked.
I remember Gilligan had one of those on the island. No, you can't produce much power by turning a crank.
Additionally, where are the massive extra calories required going to come from?
Stick with the cheap Chinese solar cells to recharge tiny-amp electronics.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:23 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I remember Gilligan had one of those on the island. No, you can't produce much power by turning a crank.
Additionally, where are the massive extra calories required going to come from?
Stick with the cheap Chinese solar cells to recharge tiny-amp electronics.

One of the basics of preparedness is portability. Hard to take a solar array with you.
You cant expect a whole lot of capacity from human powered, but if you have nothing else.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness