Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:24 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Seen some of the pictures and the same day the water receded the drywall was pulled and dragged to the curb... one family said they went through this in Katrina and getting the wet drywall off and out along with carpets is a race against the clock.

I have a work friend from Florida... said the house had been flooded several times and no structural damage... his father was a building and the entire home was concrete and filled concrete block... also good for Hurricanes with the storm shutters and anchored roof system.

I can see where type of construction can be critical...

Someone mentioned the job of rebuilding... don't forget the 500,00 storm damaged vehicles.
The damage done to cars will be covered by one's auto insurance if one has full coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 04:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
The damage done to cars will be covered by one's auto insurance if one has full coverage.
Property Damage will be covered to policy limits for flood insurance...

40,000 homes and 500,000 cars potentially to replace will require a staggering amount of material and labor... plus hospitals, business/utilities and government infrastructure...

Old 09-01-2017, 06:14 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
As someone posted recently, "jack up the satellite antenna and slide a new house under it."
Mold starts in 24 hours. All the drywall is shot. Lumber will be warped. Underfloor will be saturated and will buckle.
I helped clean up after 1977 Johnstown flood. We hauled mud out by the truck load, actually. Then the plaster was ripped out.
Sad. Many homes were abandoned and hauled away.
All stuffed furniture and rugs will be trash.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Property Damage will be covered to policy limits for flood insurance...

40,000 homes and 500,000 cars potentially to replace will require a staggering amount of material and labor... plus hospitals, business/utilities and government infrastructure...
Most people flooded in this storm have NO flood insurance...there were 9k fewer floodpolicies than in 2016 or last flood event (I didn't catch the specifics when I heard the comment) but the gist was fewer people than more had current flood insurance...
More people have been flooded out than any other event...ergo more people have no flood ins...

Their homeowners policy will cover basically nothing unless they also had damage from wind that tore open the roof...and let rain inside...and then argue for 3 yrs about which did the greater damage...rain (down) or flood (up)...
No personal property covered in flooding...and renters insurance only covers personal property and likely has no flood rider...

And we know how the GOP is the party that never wants to give money to people who are not "responsible", who can't get/keep a job, who expect the government to solve their problems for them, who should have foreseen a 1000 yr flood would arrive this year and taken out flood insurance in June...
And the irony is that allHouston damage and PortArthur and areas east are not hurricane but tropical storm damage...a BIG rain system which could develop inland, in Missouri, Idaho, MN, Arizona, Oregon...
So it could happen to you or you or you...

The first aid package better be a doozy while the disaster/rescue stories are fresh on everyone's mind and conscience because the second will be harder to get than funding for Flint's water crisis...

Old 09-01-2017, 06:38 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I don't understand why Houston has no building codes. That's just weird. If I lived where my house was even half under water I would rebuild and move. I don't have patience for a repeat performance

Old 09-01-2017, 06:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
They don't have very strict ZONING rules...
But they do have flood zone areas with building codes about height above ground
And other features but there are also towns w/in greater Houston area w/separate building/zoning rules...
When the news media says HOUSTON there are many towns within that overlay
Just like where I live in DFW TX area
People say Dallas but could really mean one of 20-30-40 different towns depending on direction, distance, and their own local knowledge...

I don't think most people who see this on the news and know that Houston has a reputation for flooding understand the magnature of how much over "normal" this event is...
150k homes (probably more) have been flooded...
And not just homes...businesses...autos...roads...bridges...sch ools...
In Aransas county...SW from Houston along the coast where Harvey hit as a cat 4, 3K school kids have NO schools to go to...
Every school in that district was totally destroyed---nothing to really repair...starting from scratch...
The ISD has insurance but it also has a 3 million deductable and it is a low income district for the most part...fishermen...Blue collar, small business, no major industry...maybe one hospital in the county...and if small business can't comeback, the tax base dries up even more...
And you are not seeing any of that pain and suffering on the news...it is all dramatic rescue and flooding...which is all true...but there is lot of suffering, pain, and damage not shown

Old 09-01-2017, 07:20 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And we know how the GOP is the party that never wants to give money to people who are not "responsible", who can't get/keep a job, who expect the government to solve their problems for them, who should have foreseen a 1000 yr flood would arrive this year and taken out flood insurance in June...
There is NO political party in the US that would treat this disaster any differently than the present one. All politicians are scumbags. There is zero difference in the way things shake out, whether it is the elephants in charge, or the jackasses.

Please do not try to blame this disaster on the good people who voted their choices in 2016. They did not cause this storm, do not own the insurance companies, and as for those hucksters who go around after the fact trying to make $$$ off the homeowners, well, there's no way to know how they voted - if they bothered to vote at all.

This is not a political issue, and shame on anyone who tries to make it one. Wonderful people all over this nation are donating their time, efforts and cash to help those affected.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 PM

510 posts, read 716,675 times
Probably alot of the houses will be almost teardowns. It only takes 48 hours or so for the mold to start growing.
Once the flooding is over I'd like to go down there with Habitat for Humanity and help with demo or rebuilding. I think that would be pretty rewarding.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:53 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Most people flooded in this storm have NO flood insurance...there were 9k fewer floodpolicies than in 2016 or last flood event (I didn't catch the specifics when I heard the comment) but the gist was fewer people than more had current flood insurance...
More people have been flooded out than any other event...ergo more people have no flood ins...

Their homeowners policy will cover basically nothing unless they also had damage from wind that tore open the roof...and let rain inside...and then argue for 3 yrs about which did the greater damage...rain (down) or flood (up)...
No personal property covered in flooding...and renters insurance only covers personal property and likely has no flood rider...

And the irony is that allHouston damage and PortArthur and areas east are not hurricane but tropical storm damage...a BIG rain system which could develop inland, in Missouri, Idaho, MN, Arizona, Oregon...
So it could happen to you or you or you...

The first aid package better be a doozy while the disaster/rescue stories are fresh on everyone's mind and conscience because the second will be harder to get than funding for Flint's water crisis...

This is true unfortunately! Flood insurance is very expensive and therefore most people don't have it. It covers no personal property and is capped at $250k. For the thousands that have no insurance all they can do it move on. This whole event is tragic!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:16 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
This is true unfortunately! Flood insurance is very expensive and therefore most people don't have it. It covers no personal property and is capped at $250k. For the thousands that have no insurance all they can do it move on. This whole event is tragic!
The average house in the Houston area, according to Zillow, sells for $315,000. So if you have insurance and can collect the full $250K; you will be out $65K. Only 20% have flood insurance and those 20% rely on the 80% that don't for a living. There will be plenty of misery to go around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness