Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 01:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

I noticed that neither he nor his fellow inspired by the "inspirational" book have commented on what I believe is evil and immoral behavior which the author describes approvingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The "hero" lets his faithful dog die of starvation rather than let the dog eat part of the corpse of a dead brigand.

The "hero" has an opportunity to provide insulin for his diabetic daughter who is near death, but he decides not to do so because it would require threatening to turn of the water supply of a nearby town that has insulin. She dies.

The "hero" lauds the decision of two older people to stop eating and starve so that others may survive.
I've been posting on the S-S & P forum since it began over eight years ago. During that time I've made many references to my family, particularly my late wife who was my trusted companion and partner in all of my endeavors, both survivalist and in other areas. A certain poster seems to have noticed this and constantly refers to me as "she" whenever possible. He apparently believes that this is a deadly insult. I don't think that he likes women very much.

The OP specifically stated that she planned to have guns, yet this same poster objected to my recommending a gun book.

Quote:
Books about guns. Great if you are living in Idaho or Wyoming, or even here in Texas, and plan to fight a war. On the outskirts of Boston, not really what you need. Especially when beginning your journey. You need to find someone (preferably someone like an NRA instructor) to teach you the basics of shooting and you need to find a range to practice.
He seems to be saying that people who live in densely populated areas shouldn't learn much about guns, but I wonder if he really means that women shouldn't.

Wyoming has the second lowest violent crime rate in the country after Vermont. I am far less likely to be the subject of a violent attack that anyone in any large metropolitan area is. I can't imagine with whom we would fight a war. On the other hand, if I were in the Boston area, I'd feel more comfortable with a gun in my pocket.

Here's an inspiring book for women as well as good men. I've linked to the blog.

Paxton Quigley's Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 01:21 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The focus of the question at hand is how to stay warm,
The OP needs to think about a lot more than keeping warm.

By examining every activity engaged in during a typical day, they will learn what has not yet been addressed. Being a one-trick pony is not the way to be prepared. I was just trying to get them to think, not dictate their life. I think that collectively, we have all suggested things that would give anyone more ideas.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:12 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I noticed that neither he nor his fellow inspired by the "inspirational" book have commented on what I believe is evil and immoral behavior which the author describes approvingly.

I've been posting on the S-S & P forum since it began over eight years ago. During that time I've made many references to my family, particularly my late wife who was my trusted companion and partner in all of my endeavors, both survivalist and in other areas. A certain poster seems to have noticed this and constantly refers to me as "she" whenever possible. He apparently believes that this is a deadly insult. I don't think that he likes women very much.

The OP specifically stated that she planned to have guns, yet this same poster objected to my recommending a gun book.

He seems to be saying that people who live in densely populated areas shouldn't learn much about guns, but I wonder if he really means that women shouldn't.

Wyoming has the second lowest violent crime rate in the country after Vermont. I am far less likely to be the subject of a violent attack that anyone in any large metropolitan area is. I can't imagine with whom we would fight a war. On the other hand, if I were in the Boston area, I'd feel more comfortable with a gun in my pocket.

Here's an inspiring book for women as well as good men. I've linked to the blog.

Paxton Quigley's Blog
I agree with a lot of posts you make.

I'm not trying to derail this thread into moral debates about the book.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:16 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
I've been posting on the S-S & P forum since it began over eight years ago. During that time I've made many references to my family, particularly my late wife who was my trusted companion and partner in all of my endeavors, both survivalist and in other areas. A certain poster seems to have noticed this and constantly refers to me as "she" whenever possible.
In all of the posts I have read, I have not seen reference to your wife.
Somewhere along the way I picked up a miss-que, and I apologize for that.

Other than that, you seem to have something of an ax to grind (else I don't see how you conclude that my suggestion to "get training" should be interpreted as "shouldn't learn"), and I suggest that this thread is not the appropriate place.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The OP needs to think about a lot more than keeping warm.

By examining every activity engaged in during a typical day, they will learn what has not yet been addressed. Being a one-trick pony is not the way to be prepared. I was just trying to get them to think, not dictate their life. I think that collectively, we have all suggested things that would give anyone more ideas.
I agree with you. I agree with all of your suggestions.

But she (damn. I hope Emily is a female, I don't want to make the same mistake twice) has a lot on her plate right now, and I just wan't to give her a bit of breathing room until she can digest this first round.

This is a journey.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:53 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
I've been through a few hurricanes and power outages so we have a weeks supply of water and food, candles, batteries, lanterns, long johns and plenty of blankets for the winter, etc. We have some large trees and are adjacent to woods so could probably get wood to fuel a barbecue for cooking I was thinking about getting a gas generator for the electric system, but realized in an all out catastrophe it would probably get stolen. In fact anyone who is well stocked would probably get invaded and murdered by roaming bands of the unprepared.

Last edited by bobspez; 09-10-2017 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I've been through a few hurricanes and power outages so we have a weeks supply of water and food, candles, batteries, lanterns, long johns and plenty of blankets for the winter, etc. We have some large trees and are adjacent to woods so could probably get wood to fuel a barbecue for cooking I was thinking about getting a gas generator for the electric system, but realized in an all out catastrophe it would probably get stolen. In fact anyone who is well stocked would probably get invaded and murdered by roaming bands of the unprepared.
Good, I started out the same way, except for the lanterns.
Grew up with those, but never did take to them as an adult.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:48 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Emily, I hope you're still reading. While the thread seems to have dissolved into an argument about the best book, here are some things to consider ( from a 'casual peppers side):

Numero uno is h2o. DO get a lifestraw, DO get the matching lifebottle. Be careful, read instructions on use, and you'll be fine. LOCATE ALTERNATIVE SOURCES NEAR OR AROUND THE areas you frequent. I live very near a river and a tributary creek is down the hill behind the houses across the street. There are several creek and stream tributaries where I live. Without H2o you simply won't live. Number one. The lifestraw can be carried with you and you can drink with it from SOURCES your NEVER touch in other circumstances. Same with the 1 liter lifebottle.

Number two DO get yourself a sturdy rugged easy to carry bug out bag. Keep in the car or carry with you.
Keep the lifestraw, a good but compact first aid kit, Mylar foldable blankets, a Mylar compact tent, extra warm but moisture wicking clothes seasonal in it and a simple compact fishing kit in it. Keep some dehydrated freeze dried food in it. A small "pocket stove", and burning cubes, a flint and steel or magnesium lighter. The pocket stove can burn twigs and other small burnable items when you run out of fuel cubes. Get a boy scout "camping mess kit". That's for starters for your bug out bag.comb amazon.com s camping section, look for essential camping lightweight compact stuff. Get SEVERAL NYLON 50 OR 10P DO IT HEAVY DUTY ROPE CORD LINES. You can strung up you tent, set traps, the things together, etc. Get a good but small hunting knife and a compact axe. Read and watch you tube for more ideas. Get h2o treatment tablets.theres more if you can carry if. Mine has suitcase handles, shoulder straps and back pack straps so it can be carried a variety of ways.

3) get in better closer contact with family and friends. They may be needed allies. If not learn to survive yourself, but as someone noted you will need to sleep.

4) H2O AND FOOD IS PRIORITY STOCK UP AND BUY BITH THE REGULAR DRINKING WATER BOTTLES AND GALLONs.
I TRY TO KEEP 300 GALLONS ON HAND. Also think alternatively, if you have city water as soon as youbknow something, fiill your tub, sinks and buy large stock pots. Fill them all you may need it to survive. How big is your h2o heater? A tank can hold 30,40 or more GALLONS and can be drained in a pinch. Cut the utility connection immediately for safer h20. Plan to boil all water for at least 2.5 minutes before using, and treat with water treatment liquid or tablets.
Freeze dried meals taste great and are filling. Stock up!! Read how to buy in bulk and use Mylar and oxygen absorbers with a package sealer. Read read read.

Print off important things. You may NOT have internet once tshtf.
Grow a witch hazel bush and learn how to prepare as an astringent. Get lots of 80 or higher alcohol to keep on HAND. Buy BOTTLES and BOTTLES. Alcohol and witch hazel can help with wounds. Also see below.

But random SILVER CIRCULATED COINS. several sources will sell you a bag cheaply. Keep the alcohol and silver for " money to barter with".

For heat get long burning TEA LIGHT CANDLES. They are DESIGNED TO KEEP TEA POTS WARM. They will help keep you warm. There is debate, but learned how to make a terra cotta inverted plant pot "stove"

A gun is good. But you can't always make bullets. Learn archery and bow and arrow. You CAN carve/make arrows. Learn how. Learn how to knife fight and karate. MORE than one means of protection can be vital!!!!

There's so much more I could tell you.....

Send me a private message if you want to know more.

Best of luck.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:05 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Sometimes you just got to move. Not necessarily to a remote homestead hundreds of miles from civilization but at least further out than a townhouse right outside one of the biggest metro areas in the United States. You can eliminate many troubles simply by moving to a more rural area where more people are self sufficient themselves.

Not saying you can't improve your situation by stocking up on some water and canned food in the townhouse, something is better than nothing, but anyone serious about prepping and self sufficiency would move far away from your location yesterday.

Good luck.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:28 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Emily, I hope you're still reading. While the thread seems to have dissolved into an argument about the best book, here are some things to consider ( from a 'casual peppers side):
Every prepper has his/her own opinions as to what the top priorities are.

Quote:
...Numero uno is h2o.
Water is important.

Quote:
... DO get a lifestraw, DO get the matching lifebottle.
We have a Berkfeld filter. We are also on a private well.

Quote:
... Number two DO get yourself a sturdy rugged easy to carry bug out bag. Keep in the car or carry with you.
A BOB is important. A central place to keep backup photo IDs, passports, documents, keys, and spare cash.

Quote:
... Freeze dried meals taste great and are filling. Stock up!! Read how to buy in bulk and use Mylar and oxygen absorbers with a package sealer. Read read read.
Freeze-dried food is great. We got a Freeze-drier this year. My Dw has been having lots of fun FD'ing many things.

Of course our priorities were growing food first, before food preservation. But proper food preservation is important.

O2 absorbers are good for things that spoil with O2 exposure, like fats and oils. We seal a lot of stuff with desiccant. Moisture causes far more destruction of perishables than O2 does.

Quote:
... Grow a witch hazel bush and learn how to prepare as an astringent
I grow witch hazel, good stuff

Quote:
... Get lots of 80 or higher alcohol to keep on HAND. Buy BOTTLES and BOTTLES. Alcohol and witch hazel can help with wounds
There is a lot of debate on these topics.

I would agree that wound care is important. But first aid training is of far higher importance than stock-piling booze. As for astringents, yes, they are good to have, but only in small quantity. How much astringent do you normally go through in a year?

I live in the woods and I raise livestock. So I am randomly needing to do minor surgeries [rectal prolapses seem to be the most common thing with our pigs, along with suturing cuts]. Alcohol is only a minor factor in wound care. Astringents are used far less than alcohol. Better to have an assortment of anti-biotics.

Quote:
... Learn how to knife fight and karate. MORE than one means of protection can be vital!!!!
There are many different martial arts, each is best suited to specific personalities. To say that everyone must learn one specific art is weak. That is like trying to get everyone to buy a Ford.

Quote:
... There's so much more I could tell you.....
Please, don't.

You have already told so us much, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness