Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Old Are You?
Under 20 1 0.88%
21-30 6 5.31%
31-40 12 10.62%
41-50 17 15.04%
51-60 26 23.01%
61-70 40 35.40%
71-80 5 4.42%
81-90 2 1.77%
Over 90 4 3.54%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:24 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,166,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I didn't realize how old some were. Not sure why your wasting what little time you have left worrying about doomsday when your just a missed heartbeat from the grave. Odds are, for many, whatever concern a person has, odds are they will be going before that event happens. Even if it happens while they are still sucking oxygen, how long will it really prolong the inevitable.
Nice troll. You do know that if the driver of an 18 wheeler falls asleep, you are still the bug on their windscreen, no matter what your age? Since we are trolling, as you get older you may learn the difference between your and you're. Have a fun day (if you don't die).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 03:49 AM

7,181 posts, read 5,033,283 times
That under 50 group contains people who may never have even actually met or talked to anybody who lived thru the Great Depression or WWII.

The under 40 group has no personal exposure to or recollection of the days of the Cold War or heard first hand accounts of life behind the Iron Curtain.

The under 30 group has only experienced life during the boom days started by Reganomics and don't realize the recession over the past decade is not just a fluke but that such events were common on a cyclic basis and didn't have such quick governmental aid available.

No wonder younger people tend to be such sheep and feel no need to prep.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:01 AM

18,764 posts, read 18,054,457 times
Five months till I join that lone 71 to 80 poster!

Last edited by fisheye; 09-23-2017 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 04:44 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,583,582 times
Quote:
I didn't realize how old some were. Not sure why your wasting what little time you have left worrying about doomsday when your just a missed heartbeat from the grave. Odds are, for many, whatever concern a person has, odds are they will be going before that event happens. Even if it happens while they are still sucking oxygen, how long will it really prolong the inevitable.
That may be tue for you. I'm 64. I had an aunt who lived to be 107, so you never know.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:57 PM

7,631 posts, read 4,553,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
That under 50 group contains people who may never have even actually met or talked to anybody who lived thru the Great Depression or WWII.

The under 40 group has no personal exposure to or recollection of the days of the Cold War or heard first hand accounts of life behind the Iron Curtain.

The under 30 group has only experienced life during the boom days started by Reganomics and don't realize the recession over the past decade is not just a fluke but that such events were common on a cyclic basis and didn't have such quick governmental aid available.

No wonder younger people tend to be such sheep and feel no need to prep.
I think I was in 7th grade when the Berlin Wall fell. Even before that I really didn't believe the stories about the Soviets. I mean, why would a government want so much control. Why couldn't they buy any food.

Then I realized, and was really happy we won....though I became confused at that point as to why we were still building such a large military when we didn't have any money....but that's something else I suppose.

Back to point, was that when I was in 7th grade, I lived in a home, with a basement and a big yard. My nearby family members had farms and that summer we made a big deck ourselves. We canned food grown from our large garden so we would have it in the winter months when the stuff in the stores was expensive, gross and possibly not there. We bought our beef together with another family and we each took half of a cow to store in our respective freezers. People could cook and bake as there weren't many restaurants. I lived in a small town and the community had an ecosystem that worked.

My kid, poor gal, she's only known the city. The markets here compete with supply chains stretching around the world, bringing the highest quality, lowest price food for us to consume. The weather's great year round. There's no basements, and certainly no surplus land. Plenty of restaurants. Plenty of distractions.

And as supply chains got better and further, suddenly you didn't need those local producers anymore, so they didn't need employees. The farms got bigger, and there were fewer farmers to buy product locally. And all of us moved to the city for jobs in a preparation of the onslaught of economic destruction that was going to happen in those small towns.

Anecdotal....perhaps, but San Jose was 50,000 people in the 50's. We all came from somewhere.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:01 PM

691 posts, read 417,581 times
nothing like feeling guilty for being young

I DIDN"T ASK TO BE BORN!! (in 1985)

Old 09-23-2017, 09:21 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,457,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
nothing like feeling guilty for being young

I DIDN"T ASK TO BE BORN!! (in 1985)
Well, that's a fine attitude to have.not meant to make you feel guilty.
None of us asked to be born.

Nor did I ask to not be born into: royalty, with a silver spoon in my mouth, or to any other wealthy family.

It didn't happen, oh well.

Read the post "thoughts on our retirement forum...".... over in the retirement forum....you might learn something.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,914,715 times
I just turned 66 which I think is a great age to be (in more ways than one).

Both my parents lived to be 90, so I figure I've got 25 - 30 perfectly good years of life yet. Why throw them all away? On the other hand, if I died tonight, I couldn't really complain. I've lived my life the very best I've known how - thru good times and bad. I check in on this forum not to prepare for "doomsday," but rather because I'm interested in the self-sufficiency side of things. I've always stood on my own two feet, and I like getting tips from others who are trying to do the same thing. What? The young whippersnappers think we should just throw up our hands and move in with them? HAH! I don't think so!

Old 09-24-2017, 03:56 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,626,988 times
Quote:
When you're 20 you can be dumb and oblivious and chances are you will live through most things. When you are 70, not so much. Ask the people in Houston. You are thinking doomsday, when most people just prepare for things like earthquakes, hurricanes or wildfires. In a big disaster, you are going to sit there for days or weeks waiting for FEMA to come bail you out. Self-sufficiency and preparedness is a better idea.

In any disaster, the water system goes down right behind the power lines. Dying of thirst or dysentery from bad water is really not a comfortable way to die. I have friends in their 70s in San Francisco who have 500 gallons of water in storage. For 2 people who would like to drink when they are thirsty, bathe when they are smelly, flush a toilet once a day and launder their underwear, that's a 2 week supply. If they grow old without having to deal with a 7.6 quake they will be very happy, but they aren't going to set themselves up to be helpless victims.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:05 AM

574 posts, read 380,407 times
Im 20, personally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness