Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:22 PM

597 posts, read 1,443,082 times

Advertisements

I was 100% sold on the idea of buying land and building an off-grid cabin in NE TN. Then I watched a couple videos on the New Madrid Fault and the earthquakes from the past. Even though NE TN would not be in the immediate area of danger, I would worry about people coming from Knoxville in droves looking for food,etc. Does anyone have any opinions on TN as a prepper area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 06:50 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
I wouldn't want to be caught in a city in an earthquake. Stone, brick, concrete, glass.... none of those bend and flex very well. Bad things happen.

Out in the woods in a cabin... I think I'd do OK. The ground may move, a one story structure may move and bend some, but it isn't going to collapse. I think the danger in earthquakes could be measured in the amount of tonnage suspended OVER YOUR HEAD.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:26 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
We have a place in TN. It was meant to be a winter refuge and base to visit family, but we are developing that acreage now for raising livestock.

It's in south central TN. Very rural, no cities of any size near it. We bought it as bare land, and had a 3 bedroom single story modular home set on it.

We do get minor earthquakes at our primary home in Maine, but those cause no concern. That home is a single story, also. Let 'er rock and roll...I certainly do not worry about that. There are more things to be concerned about!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
I was 100% sold on the idea of buying land and building an off-grid cabin in NE TN. Then I watched a couple videos on the New Madrid Fault and the earthquakes from the past. Even though NE TN would not be in the immediate area of danger, I would worry about people coming from Knoxville in droves looking for food,etc. Does anyone have any opinions on TN as a prepper area?
Have you competed a TRI/NPL review of the area you're interested in?? An earthquake may be a minor event to you if it occurs but a release or migration from a CHS can kill you while you as your taking that morning dump if you never took the time to know whats around you.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:19 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Have you competed a TRI/NPL review of the area .... <snip> ..... but a release or migration from a CHS can kill you
What do these abbreviations TRI/NPL and CHS stand for?

Old 10-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What do these abbreviations TRI/NPL and CHS stand for?

Here is a site that kind of explains it....I was confused as well. https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cu...cfm?id=0501308

Old 10-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Have you competed a TRI/NPL review of the area you're interested in?? An earthquake may be a minor event to you if it occurs but a release or migration from a CHS can kill you while you as your taking that morning dump if you never took the time to know whats around you.
No, I haven't done that. I didn't know what it was, I had to look it up but now that you brought that up, I will look into that for sure. Thanks

Old 10-21-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We have a place in TN. It was meant to be a winter refuge and base to visit family, but we are developing that acreage now for raising livestock.

It's in south central TN. Very rural, no cities of any size near it. We bought it as bare land, and had a 3 bedroom single story modular home set on it.

We do get minor earthquakes at our primary home in Maine, but those cause no concern. That home is a single story, also. Let 'er rock and roll...I certainly do not worry about that. There are more things to be concerned about!
Thanks! I had no idea about the earth quakes and then I watched a couple youtube videos on it and it freaked me out. You are lucky you have a place already and it is rural.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I wouldn't want to be caught in a city in an earthquake. Stone, brick, concrete, glass.... none of those bend and flex very well. Bad things happen.

Out in the woods in a cabin... I think I'd do OK. The ground may move, a one story structure may move and bend some, but it isn't going to collapse. I think the danger in earthquakes could be measured in the amount of tonnage suspended OVER YOUR HEAD.
Oh I would never live in a big city. I am looking to live off grid and be away from all the crowds. Tennessee was what I was looking for and then I watched this......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BFFT0ka020

It is in St. Louis but it effected TN as well.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:41 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
No, I haven't done that. I didn't know what it was, I had to look it up but now that you brought that up, I will look into that for sure. Thanks
You can start with the most basic which is to check TOXMAP:
TOXMAP
I would start with a state check and zoom into the area your thinking.

The unfortunate reality is many preppers pick places based on what they see, but fail miserably to check what is around them that can cause problems.

The TRI is good to see what has happened and what is known. Of course the SF sites are the most controlled due to being cleaned up.

CHS stands for two things:

Concealed Hazard Sites are locations where evidence strongly suggest something is amiss. It could be an undiscovered illegal toxic waste dump (very common in your target area) or some undiscovered underground stream bringing contamination from a SF site hundreds of miles away to a pristine area. The issue with these is nobody really knows what, just that you need to be aware you may be living in Love Canal. One thing in your favor is at least you know people are concerned.

The second use is Controlled Hazard Sites. This is what separates a true and real prepper from a fantasy player. A Controlled Hazard Site is a location that is dangerous to life survival but is not a problem because of human intervention and control. Consider living next to a SuperMax prison. Mass concentration of violent criminals, yet you are relatively safe. Your safety is because of the the physical, electronic and human security measures in place. But, in a SHTF scenario where the electricity if off, fuel for the backup generators ran out, staff is gone to be with their family; what do you think will happen to the area in short order? Now think about some major chemical plant up river from you. Think about that waste treatment plant. Think about the fertilizer distributor. All these are present no problem because they operate with full human intervention to keep everything under control and running smoothly. Often the very government preppers hate is the very entity that makes sure you are safe. Now, what can happen if this human intervention dissapears?

So, the rule is to check and avoid what is avoidable. Don't get caught up in the fantasy role playing of many preppers who pick a place based on the fantasy they imagined without every accounting for whats outside their little compound. In the end you may decide the risk is worth the reward, but at least you did it with your eyes wide open instead of sticking your head in the sand so you don't have anything destroy your fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness