Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 09:18 AM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
During hurricane Sandy, I remember that on the news a big focus of 'relief' efforts was to get smart-phone recharging stations setup in affected areas.

Not food or water or places to sleep, but charging stations.
And this is really pathetic, in my opinion. It's not so much that the technology is pathetic; it's the dependency upon it and the addiction to it that is pathetic.

Personally, I have always been mildly annoyed by telephones, even back in the days of rotary dialed jobbies on the breakfast bar. But since cell and smart phones have taken over the planet, I've come to pretty much hate them. Every time I see someone wandering around staring at the palm of their hand like a zombie, I want to smack them (okay, I don't want to smack them, but still...). Fifty years ago, the public addiction was cigarettes. "Everyone" had to have a cigarette in their hand. Now it's smartphones. I'm not so sure that I wouldn't prefer the former.

YES, I have a cell phone. It's not smart, it's dumb. It sits on my drafting table in its dumbness. I rarely carry it with me. I haven't had a call or text now in about a week (VERY relaxing indeed). Last one was a Christmas well-wish. The only reason I have that phone rather than a land line is that it is a pre-paid cell and very much cheaper (since I don't use it much and never have a monthly bill). Honestly, I wouldn't really miss it if I had no phone at all. But I need it for job and business occasionally. I could go back to the days of carrying a pager from work (no phone) and not mind one bit. I'd probably have tears of joy streaming down my face if I woke one morning and we were back to the days of pay phones at the 7-Elevens long before cells ever became "a thing."

And all of this is in addition to the spying capabilities of the smartphone. I won't even discuss this other than to say no thanks to smartphones. Regular cells are bad enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 09:26 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I wouldn't assume there were charging stations because people needed to play Bejeweled, more likely to call relatives, take care of finances, get news, and stuff like that.

During the CA fires many businesses were offering charging stations for phones, as you rec'd alerts when danger was heading your way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I wouldn't assume there were charging stations because people needed to play Bejeweled, more likely to call relatives, take care of finances, get news, and stuff like that.

During the CA fires many businesses were offering charging stations for phones, as you rec'd alerts when danger was heading your way.
I was out of power for six days during Sandy. My workplace 40 miles away was flooded, and I couldn't get there the way I normally did anyway because the train bridge was destroyed. I recall being on a work conference call with my phone plugged in to the car charger while waiting on a gas line.

I didn't have to go to a charging station because I had a neighbor with a generator who let me charge there, but yes, for many people, there was no way to communicate other than via cell phones.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:56 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
YES, I have a cell phone. It's not smart, it's dumb. It sits on my drafting table in its dumbness. I rarely carry it with me. I haven't had a call or text now in about a week (VERY relaxing indeed). Last one was a Christmas well-wish. The only reason I have that phone rather than a land line is that it is a pre-paid cell and very much cheaper (since I don't use it much and never have a monthly bill).

Flip phone on a TracFone minute card! Every 3 months I go to Wally World and get a $20 minute card for the thing. I mostly get texts from my grandkids, so those are just 1/3 of a minute. Any pics they want to send me, they email from their phones, and I get them on my tablet.

For 7 bucks a month, you want me to complain?

Old 12-31-2017, 01:56 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was out of power for six days during Sandy. My workplace 40 miles away was flooded, and I couldn't get there the way I normally did anyway because the train bridge was destroyed. I recall being on a work conference call with my phone plugged in to the car charger while waiting on a gas line.

I didn't have to go to a charging station because I had a neighbor with a generator who let me charge there, but yes, for many people, there was no way to communicate other than via cell phones.
Another reason EVERYONE ought be on a Ham Radio should need arise.

No matter what goes down, by natural or man-made chaos, AmRRON folks can be heard & repeaters can relay across the country. It will be the ONLY transmission that is unaffected, & if you have handheld you & you're loved one will ALWAYS be in communication should this happen.

I was never so in favor as am the past few yrs. Growing up as kid I had CB's & in the car it was cool in the 70s & 80s to have one. But now it is IMPERATIVE for basic defense/aka survival should SHTF or just comms go down via a grid takedown, etc.

Just my opinion FWIW.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Another reason EVERYONE ought be on a Ham Radio should need arise.

No matter what goes down, by natural or man-made chaos, AmRRON folks can be heard & repeaters can relay across the country. It will be the ONLY transmission that is unaffected, & if you have handheld you & you're loved one will ALWAYS be in communication should this happen.

I was never so in favor as am the past few yrs. Growing up as kid I had CB's & in the car it was cool in the 70s & 80s to have one. But now it is IMPERATIVE for basic defense/aka survival should SHTF or just comms go down via a grid takedown, etc.

Just my opinion FWIW.
Just be sure to buy the ham radio anonymously, test it, then put it away. If you get a license, you may paint targets on your house and on your back. The smart person listens but does not respond.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Just be sure to buy the ham radio anonymously, test it, then put it away. If you get a license, you may paint targets on your house and on your back. The smart person listens but does not respond.
V good addition to my post! OPSEC & comms need go hand in hand.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:48 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
IF you are on AmRRON, you know the OPSEC rules...
and they aren't the same as the ones normally bandied about in forums...

I wouldn't say that they will be completely unaffected,
but they are the most resilient Net I am aware of,
other than certain Net's the Navy and AF use.

Were you listening in on the Cascadia Rising Exercise?
(I think it was summer before last.)
I got it second hand, but supposedly, it was some pretty extreme stuff. The government got an eye opening experience, that they have probably already forgotten.

king5.com | Cascadia Rising drill offers sobering assessment of future disaster response
Quote:
Cascadia Rising was designed to find out what works and what doesn’t, and the biggest reveal was that individuals need to be prepared to be on their own much longer than what had been the conventional wisdom of three days.

“We are recommending that they have two weeks of preparedness for their families,” said General Chris Fowler.
Two weeks. That worked real well for P.R.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:25 PM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

Flip phone on a TracFone minute card! Every 3 months I go to Wally World and get a $20 minute card for the thing. I mostly get texts from my grandkids, so those are just 1/3 of a minute. Any pics they want to send me, they email from their phones, and I get them on my tablet.

For 7 bucks a month, you want me to complain?
Yep. Sounds VERY familiar... Gotta love Tracfone--one of the few companies that charge their customers for the ACTUAL service they provide. You use it, you pay for it. You don't use it, you don't pay anything.

Which brings up a complete side topic, but hey... wandering mind. I HATE the way many big name software companies have started charging a monthly fee for their product rather than outright sale of application. And I hate using software from such companies--unfortunately in a couple of cases, I have no choice. I need the software and they are the only legitimate ball team in town. Gotta love monopolies.

Actually, as far as casual communication goes... I could really just go back to writing letters and mailing them off. I loved the casual pace and that the letter sitting on the desk didn't require immediate attention. Just a "when I get around to it" mentality. Ah yes. Those were the days. I loved the neat handwriting some of the older generation had at the time as well.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:33 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And this is really pathetic, in my opinion. It's not so much that the technology is pathetic; it's the dependency upon it and the addiction to it that is pathetic.
I agree

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness