Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 06:25 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

Good points Country boy. I've found though that it isn't the guys that beat their chest and shout about how tough they are that are the biggest danger, you know who they are, its the guys that don't say much of anything you need to watch out for. I was stationed in support of one of the SEAL teams for a while. Didn't take long to see the ones the others treated with the most respect, and they were usually the guys that didn't say much, were usually in the background, guys that blended in and you didn't notice until it was too late.

I've gotten to work with some of the best spec-ops guys in the world, from several countries, they share some similar traits and characteristics. Don't want to mess with any of them, but some are more coldly efficient than others.

We have lots of wannabe tough guys here, just like you described, lots of tacticool weapons, oversized trucks made to look like assault vehicles from a gamers wet dream, but mostly the only thing in danger from them is a beer.

Not self sufficient, not into preparedness, just like to talk big and scare little old ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 06:43 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Self sufficiency is smart. That does not change, no matter who does it. The perception of it by others is what changes, and only in emotional herd members who cannot see past the outward persona of the practitioner. I will guarantee you there are a few folks who present a crazy face on purpose simply to dissuade the multitudes of grasshoppers they know from running to them in a crisis. Not most, but a few. I don't worry about the guy sitting on a pile of food snd guns in his bunker. He may shoot somebody, but only if they come around wanting what he has. What worries me, are the guys who are sitting on some nice guns, night vision, and such, but no food. Whether they admit it or not, these are the people who will be a threat if food is ever in short supply. The problem is, you don't hear them proclaiming they are ready for the end of the world, or see them wearing camouflage to the grocery store and driving a humvee around town. You mght see them posting on internet forums dedicated to long range shooting, tactical operations and similar. Or you might not hear from them at all.

I was active in a sniper/long range shooting forum a few years ago when someone started" a thread about emp or other scenarios that could result in a cessation of law, order and supply chain viability. One of the responses was a person talking about his group of buddies, and how they had what they needed to take whatever they wanted in that environment. He was an active member of the forum, always good for solid info on long range shooting skills. He posted a picture of one of his custom heavy barrelled rifles with a suppressor and a thermal imaging scope, as well, to drive home the point he was making. Imagine my surprise, when upon doing a little digging, I discover that not only does this person live in my county, he is also a member of local law enforcement.

In addition, another friend of mine who was on a local SWAT team at one point, told me that he had attended a class in a large city in our state, and had asked the hosting SWAT commander about his preparations for himself and his fsmily for such a situation. The response was "I run a team of the hardest guys in town, we kick in doors every day. If we need to, we will just go to doing it for food or whatever else we need".

Only two cases so far, but they are two of the most chillingly honest responses to such a question I have heard. And both of them from badged members of police units. Perhaps we need to be stigmatizing police officers rather than guys storing food....
Modern government shows common criminals how the big boys get 'er done. Civil asset forfeiture (government theft) has dwarfed civilian criminal activity for some time. Federal government employment is statistically shown to employee a disproportionate percentage of psychopaths.

SWAT members? They ain't going to starve. Tear gas, flash bangs and door bangers? No resistance after those are employed.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:06 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Modern government shows common criminals how the big boys get 'er done. Civil asset forfeiture (government theft) has dwarfed civilian criminal activity for some time. Federal government employment is statistically shown to employee a disproportionate percentage of psychopaths.

SWAT members? They ain't going to starve. Tear gas, flash bangs and door bangers? No resistance after those are employed.
Wrong, occasionally. Not commonly, but every once in a while, they will find out flash bangs, tear gas and door bangers don't always produce a cowering, slobbering victim. There will be, how do I say this? Bumps in the road. Dynamic entry needs the element of surprise. It needs overwhelming force. It needs the initiative. You lose surprise, the force is less than overwhelming, or something steals the initiative, and it's a bad day for the team. Things have a habit of going against you when you are abusing others, and there are good men around that are willing and able to assist Murphy in raining on parades. These types won't likely starve. About that you are right. But that last meal might set a bit heavy on the belly...

Old 07-11-2018, 08:26 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Wrong, occasionally. Not commonly, but every once in a while, they will find out flash bangs, tear gas and door bangers don't always produce a cowering, slobbering victim. There will be, how do I say this? Bumps in the road. Dynamic entry needs the element of surprise. It needs overwhelming force. It needs the initiative. You lose surprise, the force is less than overwhelming, or something steals the initiative, and it's a bad day for the team. Things have a habit of going against you when you are abusing others, and there are good men around that are willing and able to assist Murphy in raining on parades. These types won't likely starve. About that you are right. But that last meal might set a bit heavy on the belly...
It might work the first few times those tactics are employed.

As soon as word gets around what's going on....and people in town know what's going on... The Hunter becomes the hunted.

Those "predators" have places nearby that they live that I'm sure some people know who and where.

If things ever got that bad...all bets are off. You can reasonably make the moral argument you are pre-emptively engaging in self defense.

Hope and pray it never gets to that point for many reasons.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:37 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
The government does not desire self sufficient citizens. To that end end they would cast of image of prepared people as paranoid, delusional, or some other contrivance of a mental illness.

Dependents would rather receive government subsidies, being lazy, then to work for their own keep. Therefore, they will want what the government wants and, they will think what the government wants them to think.

Citizens who desire self-sufficiency will always to some degree face being stigmatized for being prepared by a crooked government or, lazy dependents.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:16 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,274,703 times
How many times does it need to be said:

First rule of prepping - don't let anyone know you are a prepper.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:45 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
And yet here you arw... as well as the rest of us. Your secret is out, but I won't tell anybody. I am just a peckerwood with too many guns, living in the hills...

Old 07-14-2018, 07:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post

That's stupid. The whole reason I got hooked-up is because I overheard two vets talking at the VA one day.

I took their prepping to a whole new level.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:54 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post

I disagree somewhat.

I am all for opsec and being anynomous.

But if we are to get more people on board and on our side we have to educate others and explain "why and what".

I think you can do that without letting others know your the crazy guy with all the guns food and gear.

Throw out some feelers.
Talk about things in hypothetical scenarios
Talk about books, movies...

"Hey I just read this book one second after....it was crazy and made me think of things I've never thought of before"
" I just watched this movie... What would you do if a major disaster hit?"

Encouraging others can be accomplished while guarding your status.

The more we get into prepping the better off your community will be.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I disagree somewhat.

I am all for opsec and being anynomous.

But if we are to get more people on board and on our side we have to educate others and explain "why and what".

I think you can do that without letting others know your the crazy guy with all the guns food and gear.

Throw out some feelers.
Talk about things in hypothetical scenarios
Talk about books, movies...

"Hey I just read this book one second after....it was crazy and made me think of things I've never thought of before"
" I just watched this movie... What would you do if a major disaster hit?"

Encouraging others can be accomplished while guarding your status.

The more we get into prepping the better off your community will be.
People who can't resist showing off often die young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness