Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:13 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No. Normal working people have been the same, for the 63 years I've been on earth.

You have a house, you go to work, you try to pay the bills, you get a car, you deal with home repairs and car repairs, your kids go to school, etc. No one is hanging out in the woods, paranoid about one thing or the ohter (except crazy Uncle Harry).

There have always been those people scared of a "the bomb" or the end of the world, as some Twilight Zones show (people hiding in bomb shelters as the world is destroyed by a bomb). But most people are busy living productive lives, enjoying life as best they can, with no time or money for hunkering out in the woods like the Unabomber.
This is pretty much how my life is going down also , I am 55 ,life is so short that I am too busy trying to cram what i can into it .

Some prepper's I have met have views that make me really question their sanity . Not all certainly ,but more than one . There are alot up here in Wa and Idaho .

I saw one on TV that got terribly freaked out over something and caused his wife to start crying saying she could not do this anymore . I felt terrible for her and mad at him because his paranoid delusions were scaring his wife to death . I wish i could recall now what it was that freaked him out but it was on that prepper's show approx 2012 when it happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 05:19 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Prior to industrialization it was agricultural society, based on slave / serf labor. Before that it was roving bands of tribes.

Nobody survived on their own in a cave somewhere...not for very long anyway.
Lots of farms did not use slaves. People had big families. They were FAMILY run farms. Serfs? You must be thinking of Europe.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:23 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
IMO, the media and pop culture (who no coincidence) is predominantly far left leaning, predominantly democrat, liberal, globalist, etc..

They do not believe in individual responsibility and they put their faith in the government as their savior. They want everyone to worship and depend on the government for as much as they can.

They do not want people to be able to be independent and not need to rely upon the government.

If people do not need the government and can be independent then they are harder to control. The left wants people who are easy to control.

I do believe in UN agenda 21 or 2020. I think the globalists want to continue the urbanization of America and to gradually erode our national sovereignty.

I definitely think there is a political element to why preppers and survivalists are collectively mocked. I also think that gun culture and support is very strong in those groups and that's another "low hanging fruit" for the leftists and pop culture talking heads to mock. People mock or fear what they don't understand.

And many of the liberals, academics and pop culture types live on either the densely populated right or left coasts. The majority or preppers/survivalist live in the middle. Many actively seek out areas that are very sparsely populated. The elites on the coast can't understand that.

People also fall into the normalcy bias and lack critical thinking skills to challenge ideas.

Our country also is being over run by a militant politically correct movement that is all but destroying any possibility of productive debate so those who disagree with each other or those who don't understand one another are less likely to even bother with dialogue and trying to share ideas any more. I think preppers/survivalists stopped caring what others think, realize they will be portrayed as outcasts and no longer care what others think and don't care if they change anyone else's opinions but would rather spend their energy and resources on their own pursuits.

Just my rambling .02 cents take it for what it's worth
Mostly because of rhetoric like this.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:33 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
This is pretty much how my life is going down also , I am 55 ,life is so short that I am too busy trying to cram what i can into it .
There are those who cannot put up for later, and I try to help those out, and I put aside supplies for them, for later. I also plan to employ a couple of them, later.

But most of those I hear this from are trying to cram entertainment and amusement into their life, and have no time for putting away for later, because they worship their amusements and believe the government will always be their to bail them out if things go bad. Or maybe they think they can loot their way through bad times. I have been told by more than one person that their plan was to steal from preppers if the SHTF, and that is why we have guns.

Quote:
Some prepper's I have met have views that make me really question their sanity . Not all certainly ,but more than one . There are alot up here in Wa and Idaho .

I saw one on TV that got terribly freaked out over something and caused his wife to start crying saying she could not do this anymore . I felt terrible for her and mad at him because his paranoid delusions were scaring his wife to death . I wish i could recall now what it was that freaked him out but it was on that prepper's show approx 2012 when it happened.
You can find nut cases in every group, and the media loves to parade the nutcases in front of their audiences. This is why I said you don't have to be very old to see how much more ridicule we get than we used to. No one should get freaked out over anything, but we all should put up for later, when things will not be as easy as they are today. (And people should have put up for later back when I began to talk about this, in 1996, since things are already beginning to get worse.)

Old 11-03-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
History has shown that "normal life" as Americans have known it for the past 60 years are anything but normal. So then, is this where "history nerd" does not believe history's lessons? Or was there some other meaning to the statement?

Old 11-03-2017, 05:47 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
There are those who cannot put up for later, and I try to help those out, and I put aside supplies for them, for later. I also plan to employ a couple of them, later.

But most of those I hear this from are trying to cram entertainment and amusement into their life, and have no time for putting away for later, because they worship their amusements and believe the government will always be their to bail them out if things go bad. Or maybe they think they can loot their way through bad times. I have been told by more than one person that their plan was to steal from preppers if the SHTF, and that is why we have guns.

You can find nut cases in every group, and the media loves to parade the nutcases in front of their audiences. This is why I said you don't have to be very old to see how much more ridicule we get than we used to. No one should get freaked out over anything, but we all should put up for later, when things will not be as easy as they are today. (And people should have put up for later back when I began to talk about this, in 1996, since things are already beginning to get worse.)
I was born and raised on a cow calf op in Texas on the Brazos River. I have had a very hard partying / hard working life worldwide with zero regrets. I actually have goals in life that I am accomplishing that have nothing to do with amusement or entertainment . I have no plans to steal from anyone if the world ends . I don't need to . None of us are going to live forever if some disaster strikes.

The govt really does not figure into this if something really epic happened because there most likely would BE no govt ..

Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I was born and raised on a cow calf op in Texas on the Brazos River. I have had a very hard partying / hard working life worldwide with zero regrets. I actually have goals in life that I am accomplishing that have nothing to do with amusement or entertainment . I have no plans to steal from anyone if the world ends . I don't need to . None of us are going to live forever if some disaster strikes.

The govt really does not figure into this if something really epic happened because there most likely would BE no govt ..
I will not comment on the first part of your post, but I agree with the second part of it.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:11 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I would have expected something more insightful from a self proclaimed history nerd.

Everyone can have their opinion, at least I have mine and will stand by it.

You can disagree or mock all you want but at least have something of value to add.

This country needs more honest debate instead of trolling and drive by comments.

I guess I hit a nerve with you?

Old 11-03-2017, 09:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatacvalves View Post
For those that are older have you seen the value of preparedness and self sufficiency vastly decline in your lifetime?
Answer seems simple enough to me...For decades, the "powers that be" have worked tirelessly to create more dependent world, as dependence is VERY profitable for those suppliers of "needs" (just ask the tobacco companies, for example!).

Part of creating dependence is to psychologically turn the world upside-down by flattering the dependents and/or making their weakness seem cool and trendy while at the same time marginalizing and mocking the independent ( and far less less profitable to multinational corporations) folks and lifestyles. From there, herd mentality takes over and does the majority of the work.

Now I'm not just talking about the rare "extreme survivalist" types, but regular life in general. So many people these days can't even change their car's oil or grow their own food... or for that matter even stay alive without access to an army of paid service workers to do even very mundane tasks for them. This is by design in my opinion.

In other words, yes... it's a conspiracy, man.

Last edited by Chango; 11-03-2017 at 09:15 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Part of creating dependence is to psychologically turn the world upside-down by flattering the dependents and/or making their weakness seem cool and trendy while at the same time marginalizing and mocking the independent ( and far less less profitable to multinational corporations) folks and lifestyles. From there, herd mentality takes over and does the majority of the work.

Now I'm not just talking about the rare "extreme survivalist" types, but regular life in general. So many people these days can't even change their car's oil or grow their own food... or for that matter even stay alive without access to an army of paid service workers to do even very mundane tasks for them. This is by design in my opinion.

In other words, yes... it's a conspiracy, man.
Seems to work on a macro scale as well.
For instance the rules under which disaster funding are given favor cities and states that mismanage their own government finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness