Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 AM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Maybe because it's kind of creepy actually wanting Armageddon to happen?
You know, I've read this sort of comment over and over for what seems like an eternity. The comment is most often written by folks who can't seem to use their heads. They equate preparing for hard times with wishing for hard times. Is logic in our general society so far gone that we can't see the difference? Burying one's head in the sand has never helped anyone with anything.

Sure, there are sociopaths and psychopaths. There always have been and always will be in all walks of life. But when you accuse the average person who believes in being prepared for "rainy days" of wanting the world to go to hell, it is essentially the same thing as calling a person with a spare tire and jack in his/her vehicle a nut job who wants everyone to have a flat tire.

You've got to understand that some people do not wish to rely on governments, technology, society in general, and luck to determine whether they live through the next "crash." And there will be a next crash. Our enlightened selves are not detached from history and statistics.

Simply put, those who believe in even the least bit of preparedness are those who do not have "it will never happen to me" syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 08:57 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You know, I've read this sort of comment over and over for what seems like an eternity. The comment is most often written by folks who can't seem to use their heads. They equate preparing for hard times with wishing for hard times. Is logic in our general society so far gone that we can't see the difference? Burying one's head in the sand has never helped anyone with anything.

Sure, there are sociopaths and psychopaths. There always have been and always will be in all walks of life. But when you accuse the average person who believes in being prepared for "rainy days" of wanting the world to go to hell, it is essentially the same thing as calling a person with a spare tire and jack in his/her vehicle a nut job who wants everyone to have a flat tire.

You've got to understand that some people do not wish to rely on governments, technology, society in general, and luck to determine whether they live through the next "crash." And there will be a next crash. Our enlightened selves are not detached from history and statistics.

Simply put, those who believe in even the least bit of preparedness are those who do not have "it will never happen to me" syndrome.
I can explain it even more simply that anyone can understand.

Does having home owners insurance make you wish your house burns down?

Does having auto insurance make you wish you crash your car?

Its about protecting yourself from things that have a serious possibility of occurring that are out of your control.

Preparing is no different. You are hedging your bets in the event something bad happens (sooner or later something will) that you will be better positioned to overcome adversity. It's just a different type of insurance.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:49 AM

643 posts, read 329,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

Its about protecting yourself from things that have a serious possibility of occurring that are out of your control.

Preparing is no different. You are hedging your bets in the event something bad happens (sooner or later something will) that you will be better positioned to overcome adversity. It's just a different type of insurance.
apples to oranges

I have read on many prepping threads..........." it's coming. You know it is. The signs are all there"

I have NEVER heard someone with fire insurance on their house saying......" your house will burn. You know it will "

Old 07-19-2018, 03:37 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

It is this that scares the pants off of the sheeples.
I have seen it a hundred times, in both secular and "religious" circles.

They tell you:"don't speak of evil things, or they will happen"
as if keeping their head in the sand will make all the bad things go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
apples to oranges

I have read on many prepping threads..........." it's coming. You know it is. The signs are all there"
I have NEVER heard someone with fire insurance on their house saying......" your house will burn. You know it will "
A lot of them are burning, right now.
And they were all warned, but kept their head in the sand.
Now they are crying.

Just like New Orleans. They were told to prepare for the eventuality of a Hurricane, and even given funds to do so. They spent it on beautification projects. They were told to begin evacuations, but the Mayor didn't call for mandatory evacuations, but he didn't because it might make him look bad.

I recall one man sitting in a window, with flood water two feet high on the side of his house, and the boat passing by asked him if he wanted to get out. He said no, he wanted them to get that water out of there.

Basically, he blamed the rescuers for the flood.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
apples to oranges

No, but common sense says that homes, buildings, businesses burn every day, hence we have fire insurance and fire departments. Its a calculated response to a perceived danger.

It may never happen, or it could happen today, tomorrow or next week. The results are entirely dependent on your preparations. Did you install smoke detectors? How about an evacuation plan? Do the kids know where to go and how to call for help, or which neighbor to go to for shelter? All preparations.

Real peppers don't want a disaster, many of us have seen the death and pain it causes. We just want to mitigate a possible danger to ourselves and keep our families safe.

Others love learning and using skills that could save a life, or make a better life for our families with good food we grow or harvest ourselves, living in a home we built by our own sweat and skill, being able to fix our plumbing or wiring, fix and maintain our own cars or trucks, etc. etc. etc.

For the touchy feely types, think of it as a holistic style of life where you are involved in all phases of your life and being able to handle anything life throws at you.
I realize this is probably a wasted effort trying to explain self sufficiency to someone raised to believe someone will always be there to take care of you, but maybe someone that can still think for themselves, will read this thread, and realize that providing for yourself and your family without depending on someone else is a good thing, and start their own journey to self sufficiency themselves.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I realize this is probably a wasted effort trying to explain self sufficiency to someone raised to believe someone will always be there to take care of you, ...
You touch on the real issue here, that many who live like there will always be someone there to take care of them also believe they should get a cut of your preps if there is a disaster. Kinda like saying I don't need fire insurance, because if my house burns, I can force my neighbors to rebuild it for me.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:59 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,273,929 times
Went thru Hurricane Katrina. I moved out of the city to a small town on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain before Katrina. We were more or less okay. I lived in New Orleans for many years. We were told repeatedly that the levees would never fail.

The authorities did call for mandatory evacuation, but did not make any preparations for the removal of people who did not have a way out of the city. They just told everyone to go to the superdome. People were given evacuation routes, and most followed them - to their detriment. There were local roads that were not crowded while the interstates were bumper to bumper.

By the way, the home builders stopped putting an axe in a rafter of the new homes they built. It was thought to be a quaint custom of yesteryear. During the storm, people retreated to their attics, then drowned because there was no way to get to the roof.

My friends and family know I am a prepper and that they are welcome. I don't spread to word to just anyone. Katrina was a serious wake up call. I saw nobility, absurdity and just plain evil. Plan for the worst that can happen. You can't go wrong.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:11 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
apples to oranges

But I can certainly say, "I know it's coming. Sooner or later, I know I'm going to have a flat tire."

I can say that because I have had a flat tire. And because I had a spare tire and a few tools, it wasn't an issue.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post

The authorities did call for mandatory evacuation, but did not make any preparations for the removal of people who did not have a way out of the city. They just told everyone to go to the superdome. People were given evacuation routes, and most followed them - to their detriment. There were local roads that were not crowded while the interstates were bumper to bumper.
You are right, and I miss spoke.
I meant to say he delayed calling the mandatory evacuation.

Quote:
... I saw nobility, absurdity and just plain evil. Plan for the worst that can happen. You can't go wrong.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
But I can certainly say, "I know it's coming. Sooner or later, I know I'm going to have a flat tire."

I can say that because I have had a flat tire. And because I had a spare tire and a few tools, it wasn't an issue.
Did you know that almost no cars that are sold new today have a spare?

Because everyone has AAA, don't ya know...
Fools.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:49 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,606 times
Either rules on this forum have become much more lenient in recent weeks or I have a fan in staff ranks here.. I have two infractions on my account for posts that are far more lenient that some here on the same subject matter..

One is for a two sentence post on avoiding over-development and HOA that has ZERO swear words in it and mentioned no user.. The other was criticizing calling the cops on people for driving cheap older used cars..

I'm talking post instantly deleted and instant strike on my account.. Some posts in this and some other threads are close to storm-front content and it's like people are asking who has good prices on kayaks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness